PDA

View Full Version : letters or symbols

kareo
11th February 2012, 09:28 AM
Hi, just one question: characters like "ㄚ" and "ㄉ" are considered letters or symbols? Or there's no difference?

welkin
11th February 2012, 11:55 AM
I guess you could consider them letters, but they were replaced in the mainland by pinyin (only Taiwan still uses them). As to their value, jīn.com (gold in pinyin) is still available to register.

As far as symbols go, they typically don't compose a writing system and usually aren't allowed in IDNs anymore.

blastfromthepast
11th February 2012, 01:51 PM
ㄚ and ㄉ are valid in domains.

Look up here to verify: http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/idna.jsp

kareo
11th February 2012, 04:05 PM
Better I tell you my problem about those domain names: I sold them on eBay to a japanese guy, who now doesn't want to pay because, as for him, I tried to fraud him selling symbols instead of letters. So, who is right, me or him?

mulligan
11th February 2012, 04:21 PM
Post a link to the sale please.

kareo
11th February 2012, 04:34 PM
the page is here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/110807582911?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649)

mulligan
11th February 2012, 04:53 PM
You have a lot to learn (I expect it will be short lived though)

kareo
11th February 2012, 04:57 PM
please, can you explain?
If you are talking about the poor quality of the domains, I KNOW, and that's why I put them on eBay, and that's why I instantly accepted that offer (and thought: "bingo...").

But the problem is not the quality of the items sold, but the fact that he (the customer) made an offer and I (the seller) accepted it. He made an offer BEFORE asking informations, and now he doesn't want to pay. THIS is the problem I'm talking about. So, please, answer my simple question: who is right, me or him?

sarcle
11th February 2012, 05:22 PM
I put them on eBay, and that's why I instantly accepted that offer (and thought: "bingo... I found a sucker to pawn these off on.").

Bold's mine. You'll find no sympathy here. I'm glad he didn't pay. Realized himself you were selling shit domains and didn't want them. Good for him.

mulligan
11th February 2012, 05:43 PM
Just to be kind .... kareo, do you know what a tipping point is?

kareo
11th February 2012, 06:16 PM
ok, I got it, but let me spend just two words: the fact that he "realized" I was selling shit domains is not an excuse: he made the purchase without reading the offer description and without asking informations. My bad? As for eBay policy: "A bid on eBay is considered a contract, and you're obligated to purchase the item". He made a bid and doesn't want to pay, that's all.

Last thing, Sarcle: your statement sounds a bit "sanctimonious". No one of you, especially in the beginning, found himself in the same situation? oook...

kareo
11th February 2012, 06:18 PM
@mulligan
a "no-turning-back" point, right?

sarcle
11th February 2012, 06:47 PM
the fact that he "realized" I was selling shit domains is not an excuse

Yes, it is an excuse. I've also reported the item to ebay to help him not have to pay for your misleading sale. Thanks for giving us the link.

My bad?

Yes. You do realize you are the type of person we make fun of here right? Usually we have to find the ebay/sedo links and post them but you came right to us. How funny. :lol:

blastfromthepast
11th February 2012, 06:49 PM
How much did he offer? You may have gotten a better deal by selling them here.

kareo
11th February 2012, 07:51 PM
I've also reported the item to ebay to help him not have to pay
Is your right.

but you came right to us
Mulligan asked me that, and I gave it to him. Didn't think in this forum questions are made with that goal...so yes, my bad.

Just to point out, Sarcle: I'm not that kind of person. I started this "activity" about 2 months ago, with the naive thought that was easy to do, so I bought those shit domains thinking they were good. Two months now, and I'm just trying to get out of this market recovering at least part of the expenditure. I mean, is it a "human" thought, or I am the "black-sheep" of the forum?

kareo
11th February 2012, 07:54 PM
@Blast
I don't think so, as can be evidenced by the posts. By the way, he offered 500$ for all

sarcle
11th February 2012, 08:02 PM
so I bought those shit domains thinking they were good. Two months now, and I'm just trying to get out of this market recovering at least part of the expenditure.

So you admit you knew they were shit. You tried to sell your shit. The buyer realized they were shit and you are still thinking you did the right thing?

Pathetic. Drop them and move on.

IdnHost
11th February 2012, 08:05 PM
Is your right.

Mulligan asked me that, and I gave it to him. Didn't think in this forum questions are made with that goal...so yes, my bad.

Just to point out, Sarcle: I'm not that kind of person. I started this "activity" about 2 months ago, with the naive thought that was easy to do, so I bought those shit domains thinking they were good. Two months now, and I'm just trying to get out of this market recovering at least part of the expenditure. I mean, is it a "human" thought, or I am the "black-sheep" of the forum?

so because you got screwed on the deal due to lack of research on your part, you decided to screw the next joe to get your capital back? two wrongs dont make a right, and you cannot blame sarcle for speaking his mind because this sort of behavior is looked down upon on this forum. he is completely right.

Avtal
11th February 2012, 08:21 PM
so because you got screwed on the deal due to lack of research on your part, you decided to screw the next joe to get your capital back?

That is the foundation of all modern financial markets, isn't it?

Anyway, to answer the original question:

I'm not an Ebay expert, but it seems to me that the more precisely you describe your merchandise, the less likely you are to be asked for a refund.

When selling an IDN, you should probably mention that the domain is an IDN (with a link to the Wikipedia article on IDNs). You should also give the punycode of the domain, and if the domain is a single character, give the name of the character ("Bopomofo letter d" or whatever).

You might get fewer buyers by doing this, but you are also less likely to see your Ebay seller reputation destroyed.

As for the reaction on this forum: The people here believe (correctly) that IDNs will be of great benefit to people whose languages use non-ascii characters. For many years they have battled the perception that IDNs are of use only to fraudsters and phishers. So someone selling domains like "yoù .com" should not expect a warm welcome.

However, some of the other members of this forum started out on the wrong foot, like you have, and recovered. I suggest you stop trying to defend the indefensible, and start learning from the IDN experts here.

Welcome to the forum.

Avtal

bumblebee man
11th February 2012, 08:39 PM
my problem
Exactly.
Posted via Mobile Device

kareo
11th February 2012, 08:49 PM
The buyer realized they were shit
wait...
1) the buyer have had more than 20 days to realize that. Nevertheless he never asked me something or ask something to someone else: he made his offer and waited another 2 days to let me accept it.
2) in the offer page the domains were listed, and there's nothing to "realize": just read and think about buying them or not. He didn't read, didn't think, and decided to buy them. Again: my bad?

you are still thinking you did the right thing
Maybe you didn't get the point: he doesn't want to retract the offer because of the poor quality, but he wants to retract his offer because he thoughts that those domains were composed by letters instead of symbols. So I opened this thread to know:
1) what are those, letters or symbols?
2) depending on the answer of the previous question, has him a real reason to retract?
Because if they are considered "letters" as HE wants, he hasn't a reason to retract: he found what he was looking for, regardless of the quality.

Anyway, let me say: in more than 20 days he never had the time to find an answer to this question BEFORE taking a "without-thinking" decision?

sarcle
11th February 2012, 08:52 PM
and you cannot blame sarcle for speaking his mind because this sort of behavior is looked down upon on this forum. he is completely right.

Thanks, we'll see if the "buyer" would like to comment. I shot him an email with a link to this thread.

sarcle
11th February 2012, 09:00 PM
blah, blah, blah, blah

Save it. I'm done trying to talk sense into you.

Keldon
11th February 2012, 10:38 PM
I'm not an Ebay expert, but it seems to me that the more precisely you describe your merchandise, the less likely you are to be asked for a refund........

I do sell on eBay and if you don't very accurately describe what you are selling you can expect pissed off customers. Lots of accurate detail on eBay stops complaints. I learned that the hard way.

I think even at two months in the IDN market one already knows confusion can happen and that potential of confusion was not addressed in your ad.

You should accept that it was much more your fault than his, IMO.

Vlaen
11th February 2012, 11:21 PM
Having two completed sales with one being a glaring red negative clearly shows you dodged a bullet on the other sale that gave you a positive review.

Your other sale is for a Ronaldo shirt with a picture of it spread out on the floor. It is amazing. Amazing you managed to get someone to pay you $200 for that shirt without any provenance. That auction was as bereft of information as the XXX.com auction you passed off on some poor guy.

blastfromthepast
12th February 2012, 08:54 AM
@Blast
I don't think so, as can be evidenced by the posts. By the way, he offered 500$ for all

I didn't look at your ebay sale until after I posted that. The two bopomofo characters, "ㄚ" and "ㄉ", that you posted in this thread are OK. Such have been sold before, and I know someone in Taiwan likes to collect those. You could have sold them here.