PDA

View Full Version : IDN webinar by mailclub.info

squirrel
15th February 2012, 03:49 AM
Mailclub.info will host a webinar on IDNs on Feb. 23rd. In French obviously.

registration required, 100 spots avail.

mailclub.info/?visioconference-sur-le-lancement,1621

Avtal
15th February 2012, 04:00 AM
squirrel,

Do you think IDNs will be popular in France? I've noticed that sometimes people in latin-alphabet countries don't bother to type the accents, especially if they require extra key strokes. Are some accented letters more likely to be correctly typed than others?

Avtal

squirrel
15th February 2012, 04:21 AM
squirrel,

Do you think IDNs will be popular in France? I've noticed that sometimes people in latin-alphabet countries don't bother to type the accents, especially if they require extra key strokes. Are some accented letters more likely to be correctly typed than others?

Avtal

It depends. If you're looking to sell IDNs to the French, I think it will take some time. The people don't know about IDNs yet. I guess .fr allowing IDNs will grow awareness.

In terms of accent, I'd stay away from î, â, ô, û Those do not affect the pronunciation of the word thus are a bit superfluous. Plus the average Joe doesn't know when to include them.

é, è, ê are the safest I'd say. Those do change the pronunciation of the word. In europe they might also have dedicated keys on the keyboard.

Be careful however with words ending in "é" that are past participle. These are likely to fail the radio test because the verb will sound exactly the same as the past part.

i.e.

Manger (To Eat) sounds exactly the same as Mangé (eaten).

If you want to know more or need help with a specific domain you can alway pm me.

Avtal
15th February 2012, 04:30 AM
Thanks! I guess by the same token, ç would be good, because it changes the pronunciation?

Avtal

squirrel
15th February 2012, 04:32 AM
squirrel,

Avtal

Yes that happens. You can use google Insights to compare accented and non accented versions of a word. But generally speaking, yes the French may not always type the accent.

That's why I said it depends in my previous post. If you want to resell or PPC, yeah you may have much less traffic than in doublebyte scripts.

However, if your end game is more about acquiring domains that are suitable for development, I don't think there's a problem. Users will see prime keyword generics in the SERPs (or adwords) and will click on them, whether IDNs or ASCII. Google's algo is smart enough that if you type "sante", they'll understand that you want results for "santé" (health), and they'll serve results that are meaningful, whether IDNs or ASCII.

squirrel
15th February 2012, 04:37 AM
Thanks! I guess by the same token, ç would be good, because it changes the pronunciation?

Avtal

ç is tricky, in the sense that it's used with a very limited set of words that natives come to know and recognize easily. It doesn't bother my eye to see boy written as garcon instead of garçon. I can't explain it. ..

Moreover, since its a diatric that's under the word, I guess it can get lost if the word is underlined (a link, etc.).

It's my personal opinion however .. :)

Avtal
15th February 2012, 12:40 PM
It doesn't bother my eye to see boy written as garcon instead of garçon. I can't explain it.

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

Avtal

dabsi
3rd March 2012, 04:22 PM
IDN in French are more than a decoration.

marche means walk/go while marché means market

Dabsi