PDA

View Full Version : Several Newbie Questions

Keldon
16th February 2012, 01:58 PM
Okay, so I saved my questions for one post instead of posting each individually and annoying the IDN vets here. :)

Any answers are appreciated.

1. Is it better to use English keywords or native language keywords for best optimization in NameDrive. I've generally always used English at other parking companies, and I realize that Google can translate, but so far my CTR has been pretty bad and it got me wondering about this. My CTR on my ASCII foreign-language domains seem to do much better and I can't seem to understand why the CTR is so bad. Maybe my sample is not large enough yet. I have about 70 now I believe.

2. Why are transliteration IDNs valuable? It would seem to me that only the actual native spelling is what would be desired.

3. Why do I see a lot of IDNs with horrible GKT metrics, like 30 Global searches per month and an average .40 RPC, getting bids, even in .net, .biz, etc.... ? This does not really even happen in the hot ASCII market, at least not to the extent of what I'm seeing with IDN bidding.

4. I've so far come to the conclusion that when analyzing IDNs much higher GKT metrics are needed to find decent-earning domains. What I mean is that a ASCII domain with 6,000 Local and $2.00 a click will normally make a domain owner some parking income, but IDNs with these same kind of metrics (at least so far for me ) have a hard time getting enough traffic and clicks to earn back at least the reg fee.

Is there a benchmark that some of you folks use like a minimum of 20,000 GKT searches, or something similar as a minimum stats requirement?

5. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere, with the exception of Egypt, but do any of you see any opportunities in African country IDNs?

6. Generally speaking, where do you folks see the most opportunity : Drops, expired domains, aftermarket, or hand regs?

7. Lastly, I was reading some of the newbie posts, and I noticed some of you guys telling a new member to go back and read the old posts from 2005/2006 era since there is a wealth of info. there. Is there an easy way or section to find these posts on IDNForums ? I'd like to do some digging.

Thanks!!!

Rubber Duck
16th February 2012, 02:16 PM
1 Native
2 Usage is the key
3 GKT?
4 GKT?
5 latin
6 Aftermarket
7 Dunno

alpha
16th February 2012, 02:31 PM
Okay, so I saved my questions for one post instead of posting each individually and annoying the IDN vets here. :)

I'm sure that will be appreciated.

Any answers are appreciated.

Most of the answers to your questions are not black or white, so you'll need to take in the opinions from at least a few replies.. here's mine...

1. Is it better to use English keywords or native language keywords for best optimization in NameDrive. I've generally always used English at other parking companies, and I realize that Google can translate, but so far my CTR has been pretty bad and it got me wondering about this. My CTR on my ASCII foreign-language domains seem to do much better and I can't seem to understand why the CTR is so bad. Maybe my sample is not large enough yet. I have about 70 now I believe.

I was fairly sure this was against the terms of use. Not all parking companies use geo targeting for their ads, so they rely on the keyword to generate ads. It would be wrong to display English ads to a non-English reading audience. Not entirely sure on this though, maybe others can comment. Me personally, I use native keywords

2. Why are transliteration IDNs valuable? It would seem to me that only the actual native spelling is what would be desired.
What is desired is what is used the most. and that's not always the non-translit. Perhaps this is best answered using an example.
can you provide an example?

3. Why do I see a lot of IDNs with horrible GKT metrics, like 30 Global searches per month and an average .40 RPC, getting bids, even in .net, .biz, etc.... ? This does not really even happen in the hot ASCII market, at least not to the extent of what I'm seeing with IDN bidding.
Again, this is best answered by using a specific example. Can you link to a sales thread (preferably one that has ended)

4. I've so far come to the conclusion that when analyzing IDNs much higher GKT metrics are needed to find decent-earning domains. What I mean is that a ASCII domain with 6,000 Local and $2.00 a click will normally make a domain owner some parking income, but IDNs with these same kind of metrics (at least so far for me ) have a hard time getting enough traffic and clicks to earn back at least the reg fee.
I have a much larger data set compiled over a few years. I can tell you that there is not yet a direct correlation between GAKT and revenue.
To explain.. the very best domains will have a high GAKT anyway, and yes they do generate a nice income. But as you move down the quality rankings, things even out quickly. For example I have a 750,000 Exact GAKT domain that regularly earns the same as a 2,000 Exact GAKT domain.

Is there a benchmark that some of you folks use like a minimum of 20,000 GKT searches, or something similar as a minimum stats requirement?
Remembering that GAKT is only useful where Google is the dominant search engine... 10,000 GAKT for Japanese is a good level of minimum quality (for me at least). But for Russian or Arabic, and Chinese for example it has to be way lower, as the GAKT is almost irrelevant. (this may also answer your question #3)

5. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere, with the exception of Egypt, but do any of you see any opportunities in African country IDNs?
Without having researched that niche I would have to answer shooting from the hip... IMO there is too much opportunity still in established first world countries, without having to dig in other places

6. Generally speaking, where do you folks see the most opportunity : Drops, expired domains, aftermarket, or hand regs?
all of the above. With not a lot of investment, you should be able to compile a portfolio by drop catching, backordering through snapnames (you'll be surprised what the minimum fee will get you), buying a handful of nice names in the aftermarket + a sprinkling of speculative hand regs

7. Lastly, I was reading some of the newbie posts, and I noticed some of you guys telling a new member to go back and read the old posts from 2005/2006 era since there is a wealth of info. there. Is there an easy way or section to find these posts on IDNForums ? I'd like to do some digging.

That's good advice.
Most posts are in the general section. find your way there, click "last", then read in reverse order. Here's a link (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/general-discussion/index317.html)

Keldon
16th February 2012, 02:34 PM
1 Native
2 Usage is the key
3 GKT?
4 GKT?
5 latin
6 Aftermarket
7 Dunno

Thanks for your answers, Rubber Duck.

Regarding #3 and #4, what I mean by GKT is the Google Keyword Tool, if you are asking me what GKT is. If you are asking why I am using the Google Keyword Tool, then I suppose it is b/c it is what I am most familiar with.

Regarding your #5 answer, I suppose you mean going after latin characters in the ASCII market in Africa, due to previous European imperialism, and it's affects to this day on the languages of Africa. I would suppose most business is done in those languages as well.

bumblebee man
16th February 2012, 02:44 PM
3 GKT?
4 GKT?

Google Adwords Keyword tool.

@Keldon

Not sure what you mean regarding horrible search volume. Most names traded here do have better search volumes than the ASCII ones traded in other forums. Unless you are talking about Korean / Chinese which have poor stats due to Google's poor market share.

Rubber Duck
16th February 2012, 02:53 PM

@Keldon

Not sure what you mean regarding horrible search volume. Most names traded here do have better search volumes than the ASCII ones traded in other forums. Unless you are talking about Korean / Chinese which have poor stats due to Google's poor market share.

Yeah, I suppose I should but I don't.

Keldon
16th February 2012, 03:06 PM
What is desired is what is used the most. and that's not always the non-translit. Perhaps this is best answered using an example.
can you provide an example?
Actually, what got me interested is the sale of "business" in Arabic here on the forum, which Bumblee Bee man says is a translit.

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/30830-%5Bbusiness%5D-com-arabic.html

Again, this is best answered by using a specific example. Can you link to a sales thread (preferably one that has ended)

Okay, don't have the link, but an example. This is one I "accidentally" participated in. I think we have all made this mistake before. I got excited thinking this IDN ( ювелирной.com ) translated to "jewelry" when I caught the auction with less than a minute to go. I did not due my due diligence work and only did the translation. Well, I ended up buying it for $112 when I put in a $120 bid.

After winning I realized that Google says it has 12 searches Global and .10 RPC. This got me to thinking the domain did not mean Jewelry or it was some second or third tier word use in Russian.

The point here is that someone else had already put in their bid previously and was willing to pay over $100 to push me to $112. I assume they had done their research. I see a lot of these on Dynadot.

Is it b/c as you say Google is not good in some countries. Maybe another Russian tool works better?

Remembering that GAKT is only useful where Google is the dominant search engine... 10,000 GAKT for Japanese is a good level of minimum quality (for me at least). But for Russian or Arabic, and Chinese for example it has to be way lower, as the GAKT is almost irrelevant. (this may also answer your question #3)

Thanks for that. I had not even considered that variable. That's a big oversight on my part.

That's good advice.
Most posts are in the general section. find your way there, click "last", then read in reverse order. Here's a link (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/general-discussion/index317.html)
Thanks, found it!!

Keldon
16th February 2012, 03:08 PM

@Keldon

Sorry, did not make myself clear. I was speaking more of what I see on DynaDot.

Keldon
16th February 2012, 03:11 PM
A follow-up question I have is, where is there a list of dominant search engines and their similar Google Keyword Tool search tools for each country, or is there even one compiled ?

Ryu
16th February 2012, 03:11 PM
1. Native. But if your IDN is keyword dot whatever, you should be able to leave it blank and the ND system will use the Unicode keyword as default.

bumblebee man
16th February 2012, 03:30 PM
Sorry, did not make myself clear. I was speaking more of what I see on DynaDot.

More noobs around at Dynadot, I guess. The Russian name you were talking about is most likely a non-stand-alone.

What's wrong with translits? When Americans say "anime" that is a translit of a translit.

BTW: Business is pretty universal and understood anywhere in the world. Guess what the German term for "business plan" is...

For Russian stats have a look at Yandex wordstat but note that it is showing BROAD search:

http://wordstat.yandex.ru/

Keldon
16th February 2012, 03:42 PM
More noobs around at Dynadot, I guess. The Russian name you were talking about is most likely a non-stand-alone.

What's wrong with translits? When Americans say "anime" that is a translit of a translit.

For Russian stats have a look at Yandex wordstat but note that it is showing BROAD search:

http://wordstat.yandex.ru/
Thanks for the responses.

Non-stand alone domains are mostly crap domains, right?

Your example of anime puts it in perspective.

I do remember that Yandex tool now. I had forgotten about it.

bumblebee man
16th February 2012, 03:50 PM

Yes.

Regarding search stats for non-Google countries:

For China:
http://index.baidu.com/

In South Korea Naver is dominating but I don't think they are sharing stats anymore.

squirrel
16th February 2012, 04:19 PM
Yes.

Regarding search stats for non-Google countries:

For China:
http://index.baidu.com/

In South Korea Naver is dominating but I don't think they are sharing stats anymore.

You need an advertiser account to use their keyword tool. Baidu - while baidu index is free to use - offers and advanced keyword tool for its advertisers too.

squirrel
16th February 2012, 04:26 PM

Make sure you know which languages are declension based, it will save you a ton of money. If you use wiktionary or a technical source to figure it out, look for the nominative (singular or plural is fine) case of the noun you're researching . Check this for example (click on declension of любовь) http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%BB%D1%8E%D0%B1%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%8C

squirrel
16th February 2012, 04:28 PM
A follow-up question I have is, where is there a list of dominant search engines and their similar Google Keyword Tool search tools for each country, or is there even one compiled ?

You may want to bookmark this link

http://idntools.com/links.php

alpha
16th February 2012, 04:32 PM
Make sure you know which languages are declension based, it will save you a ton of money. If you use wiktionary or a technical source to figure it out, look for the nominative (singular or plural is fine) case of the noun you're researching . Check this for example (click on declension of любовь) http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%BB%D1%8E%D0%B1%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%8C

.. or work with a native speaker.

Hire a native, or partner with a native (in a partnership they would bring to the table their language skills, if you can figure out what value you can bring, then that might be an option for you)

squirrel
16th February 2012, 04:37 PM
.. or work with a native speaker.

Yes.

Actually, anyone who spends quality time here (quality time guys, tell me your girl/wife doesn't always talk about that) will end up with a few good native friends

IDNCowboy
16th February 2012, 04:45 PM

These ascii keyword names with no GAKT are selling everyday at DNFORUM.... You know.. the meaningful names like "Kayak World .com" etc that can be good for branding.

Also you can get a better deal with IDN.. Notice how all commercial terms that have high GAKT are selling for six figures nowadays in English.

Keldon
16th February 2012, 05:12 PM
Oh......that's awesome. That's a Big help, thanks!

Keldon
16th February 2012, 05:14 PM
These ascii keyword names with no GAKT are selling everyday at DNFORUM.... You know.. the meaningful names like "Kayak World .com" etc that can be good for branding.

Also you can get a better deal with IDN.. Notice how all commercial terms that have high GAKT are selling for six figures nowadays in English.
Again, I was not clear, sorry. I was speaking more of regular generics as opposed to brandables.

Keldon
16th February 2012, 05:15 PM
Also, thanks for all the replies so far.

Clotho
17th February 2012, 12:46 AM
As you may have gathered from the replies you can't make observations and then try to apply them to all IDN's in general. It has to be specific to a country or language. Pick a country and then ask the questions you are posing about that country/language in particular. The answer for one country/language may be different than for another.

welkin
18th February 2012, 03:31 AM
Not directly in response to your questions and I'm just a hobbyist, but...trying to avoid work.

I would also add to be careful with Trends. Be sure to look past the language to whether the usage of the term is diverse and not localized to one region--e.g., a Chinese word that is only used in Taiwan.

Another mistake I made when starting out was piddling around with dozens of cheap/worthless domains, instead of just investing that money on a few solid ones. I was never an ascii domainer so maybe that's already obvious to you.

Kent99
18th February 2012, 04:25 AM
Nice link from Alpha. Working my way backwards from the beginning of the forum.

sbe18
18th February 2012, 10:00 PM
great questions...

re: Africa my opinion only
I believe that French, Portuguese, and Arabic will be successful there over time.

Again, mobile phone usage will be the key for internet access there.

transliteration:
russian ---very unique
japanese--- unique..often odd transliterations that avoid pluralizations - no (s) at the end so the singular and the plural are implied by the usage etc...

chinese --transliterations.... GuGe is google.... in general avoid

korean-- transliterations .... very powerful and accurate quickly on the web

arabic--- my observation.....all over the map based on N. Africa or Gulf states multiple spellings and use of diacritics

relative to search engines...

Yahoo -Japan
Baidu --China
Yandex --Russia
naver-- Korea

are all at 75% so the google numbers in general would be 3x etc....

Keldon
24th February 2012, 02:10 PM
I just wanted to say I really learned a lot from this single thread.

I really appreciate everyone that took the time to answer. :yes:

JamesD
10th April 2012, 08:58 PM
I just wanted to say I really learned a lot from this single thread.

I really appreciate everyone that took the time to answer. :yes:

Ditto - and thanks Keldon for asking the questions in the first place, saved me from asking!