PDA

View Full Version : Question for the native hindi speaker

IdnHost
1st March 2012, 08:37 PM
Which version of the word Ranchi is the correct gramatical spelling and is more likely used?

1. रांची or 2. राँची

Wikipedia claims the correct version is #2, but most hindi print (newspapers) and maps use the first verion of the word. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

catchnames
4th March 2012, 05:25 PM
2 is correct. I live in Ranchi (राँची).

IdnHost
4th March 2012, 07:44 PM
2 is correct. I live in Ranchi (राँची).

That is so weird. I had two native Hindi sources claim that the 1st example was the correct choice. Care to explain the difference between the two? Thanks for taking the time to respond.

cheers,

catchnames
5th March 2012, 12:18 AM
You are right. I don't know why an incorrect version became more popular. However, when I was little boy it was refered by राँची. In last 8-10 years, most of newspaper adopted word रांची.
I assume you are asking the question for buying the domain. In that case, I would go with popular version that is रांची.

IdnHost
5th March 2012, 12:34 AM
You are right. I don't know why an incorrect version became more popular. However, when I was little boy it was refered by राँची. In last 8-10 years, most of newspaper adopted word रांची.
I assume you are asking the question for buying the domain. In that case, I would go with popular version that is रांची.

Your assumption is correct. Looking to grab a couple of hindi geos. Thanks for the help.