PDA

View Full Version : Caution: Godaddy takes 10 minutes to register your IDN

IDNCowboy
2nd March 2012, 03:23 AM
I register an IDN and it doesn't show "TAKEN" til 10 minutes later allowing anyone else to register the name..

DktoInc
2nd March 2012, 03:30 AM
nonsense, Godaddy Rules!!!:p

just reged one with GoDaddy and it shows taken, instantly..... in Dynadot.

IDNCowboy
2nd March 2012, 03:42 AM
I was checking it's availability on name.com and dynadot after I regged it and it was still publicly available.

DktoInc
2nd March 2012, 03:54 AM
I was checking it's availability on name.com and dynadot after I regged it and it was still publicly available.

clear your cache, maybe

squirrel
2nd March 2012, 03:57 AM
Yeah I think there's a difference between a name showing as available and a name actually being available. Next time try registering with GoDaddy again and then quickly try to register the same domain somewhere else.

IDNCowboy
2nd March 2012, 04:11 AM
clear your cache, maybe

Wrong.. This is the second or third time it has happened to me.. I registered it 9 minutes later with Dynadot and then another minute goes by and Godaddy says they r unable to reg it :P

squirrel
2nd March 2012, 04:12 AM
well thats really an issue

Vlaen
2nd March 2012, 04:38 AM
Yea but they have one hundred sales pitches on the screen. Won't you think of the sales pitches? Why are you not registering extra services with them? How can you expect them to register your desired domain name if you won't buy some services from them?

bumblebee man
2nd March 2012, 08:00 AM
Don't use GoDaddy regardless of how quick they are.

DktoInc
2nd March 2012, 09:04 AM
Wrong.. This is the second or third time it has happened to me.. I registered it 9 minutes later with Dynadot and then another minute goes by and Godaddy says they r unable to reg it :P

Stay off the shrooms. :eek:

DktoInc
2nd March 2012, 09:07 AM
Don't use GoDaddy regardless of how quick they are.

Guys you know, everyone is saying how bad GoDaddy is but no one really has a reason behind it other then the ads. In my personal experience, I never had an issue with GoDaddy, their customer service is awesome, if you are VIP you get your own portfolio manager, deals are freekin cheap where else do you pay $1 per name?

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2012, 09:34 AM
well thats really an issue

Anyone still using Go Daddy has serious issues!

mulligan
2nd March 2012, 10:58 AM

https://secure2.convio.net/ida/images/content/pagebuilder/bob_parsons_elephant_kill_1.jpg
http://www.mrmediatraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Bob-Parsons-Elephant-Kill1.png

AWS
2nd March 2012, 01:01 PM
dont support godaddy and especially not this piece of sh*t

tee1
2nd March 2012, 01:31 PM
the images above are enough to never use them again and furthermore I can't stand their interface but I do like their commercials :)

another issue I have with them is that it takes up to 48 hours to update nameservers that arent' theirs, which is BS!

Ben
2nd March 2012, 01:49 PM
One thing that is annoying me right now is I have a domain I'd like to move from GoDaddy to another registrar but it's "transfer locked until 4/22/2012" because I changed some contact information a few weeks ago.

And damn, seeing those pictures posted by mulligan makes me want to move all my domains away immediately and never do business with them again.

IDNCowboy
2nd March 2012, 02:24 PM
I don't support Godaddy... I think I paid $3 for a name so Godaddy lost money on me :P I plan to transfer.. I was just pointing it out.

sarcle
2nd March 2012, 05:32 PM
Ditch godaddy.

Keldon
2nd March 2012, 06:27 PM
So, who do you IDN pros recommend as the top choice?

I've already taken light flak at DBR for having a bunch of domains at GoDaddy.......LOL .

Here are my concerns with leaving GoDaddy (and, I'd like to) :

1. Security.

GoDaddy has DTVS (Domain Transfer Validation Service) which requires a phone call to me for every transfer out, and I must give them the correct pin over the phone. I've had three break-ins (that I am aware of) into my various registrar accounts over the years, and I use good passwords. One basically tricked my ISP into giving them access to my account and then changed the email and did a password request at my domain register. The other I suspect did the same. The one at BulkRegister I never figured out. I had one break-in at GoDaddy, one at BulkRegister, and one at NetworkSolutions, two of those being about ten years ago. I've had domains stolen I had to chase down. GoDaddy's DTVS has stopped that so far.

I like DynaDot and was considering moving to DynaDot but after speaking with them they don't seem to have the security I want.

2. Higher renewal prices elsewhere

3. I don't like eNom, Moniker, etc.... those that really have their fingers in the domain industry. I just don't trust them. I don't want domain investors managing my domains. GoDaddy, may... but who knows, may go public and if they don't run a somewhat clean ship it would show once they were under the investor's microscope.

4. Easy transfers between GD accounts means quicker cash flow which is good for any business. Plus, the public trusts the GoDaddy name, whether right or wrong. I'd imagine it helps with sales.

Considering the above, what is the best alternative registrar? I can't seem to find one.

Keldon
2nd March 2012, 06:30 PM
Regarding the issue of regging IDNs at GoDaddy, I can't get the interface to accept a IDN reg. It says the domains are not available to register, but actually are.

I've had to call in every time to do it. Even then the Executive Accounts reps had problems regging them. They tell me they are already registered until I point out they are not at Internic.net , then they have to do some unexplained rabbit trick to reg them.

Also, the language must be specified for each and every IDN reg. That's a pain.

Maybe there is a some kind of delay b/c of how they reg them???

squirrel
2nd March 2012, 07:21 PM
Regarding the issue of regging IDNs at GoDaddy, I can't get the interface to accept a IDN reg. It says the domains are not available to register, but actually are.

I've had to call in every time to do it. Even then the Executive Accounts reps had problems regging them. They tell me they are already registered until I point out they are not at Internic.net , then they have to do some unexplained rabbit trick to reg them.

Also, the language must be specified for each and every IDN reg. That's a pain.

WTF haha, you have to call for every IDN reg ? that's hilarious

squirrel
2nd March 2012, 07:23 PM

Perhaps each IDN registration is processed manually, and it's actually Morgan Linton in the back office.

"xn what ??"

IDNCowboy
2nd March 2012, 07:24 PM

No you don't... Read up top when you try to register the IDN in unicode. It says please use "this form"..(a link) for Internationalized Domain Names. It doesn't say however that it'll take their automated script 10 minutes to reg it.> :P

DktoInc
2nd March 2012, 07:31 PM
Perhaps each IDN registration is processed manually, and it's actually Morgan Linton in the back office.

"xn what ??"

if there is anykind of delay, it's not with godaddy, but anyways an elephant is an elephant even in Africa ;)

squirrel
2nd March 2012, 07:35 PM
So, who do you IDN pros recommend as the top choice?

I've already taken light flak at DBR for having a bunch of domains at GoDaddy.......LOL .

Here are my concerns with leaving GoDaddy (and, I'd like to) :

1. Security.

GoDaddy has DTVS (Domain Transfer Validation Service) which requires a phone call to me for every transfer out, and I must give them the correct pin over the phone. I've had three break-ins (that I am aware of) into my various registrar accounts over the years, and I use good passwords. One basically tricked my ISP into giving them access to my account and then changed the email and did a password request at my domain register. The other I suspect did the same. The one at BulkRegister I never figured out. I had one break-in at GoDaddy, one at BulkRegister, and one at NetworkSolutions, two of those being about ten years ago. I've had domains stolen I had to chase down. GoDaddy's DTVS has stopped that so far.

I like DynaDot and was considering moving to DynaDot but after speaking with them they don't seem to have the security I want.

2. Higher renewal prices elsewhere

3. I don't like eNom, Moniker, etc.... those that really have their fingers in the domain industry. I just don't trust them. I don't want domain investors managing my domains. GoDaddy, may... but who knows, may go public and if they don't run a somewhat clean ship it would show once they were under the investor's microscope.

4. Easy transfers between GD accounts means quicker cash flow which is good for any business. Plus, the public trusts the GoDaddy name, whether right or wrong. I'd imagine it helps with sales.

Considering the above, what is the best alternative registrar? I can't seem to find one.

Keldon, I'm not sure why anyone would use Godaddy except for their premium listing which I hear works great (for english domains).

If you have a lot of domains and want to transfer in bulk, every decent registrar will consider giving you a good price. I can't imagine that Godaddy's renewal fee is that much cheaper than Dynadot's superbulk pricing.

Dynadot is a favorite here. They don't have a portfolio of their own and have expressed no interest in having one, so no shenanigans, frontrunning, shady drops manipulation, etc. They also don't have any incentive to keep data to themselves (ie. IPS data) or keep names for themselves during landrushes. Their UI is great, by far superior to Godaddy's, Moniker's and Name's (in my opinion).

Security wise I dont know what to tell you. Godaddy has much more manpower than any other registrar so they can do things that others can't.

Keldon
2nd March 2012, 07:38 PM
So far, if I want the IDN now that's how it is, otherwise I fire off an email to my rep.

They "put in a ticket" on this, but who knows. Sometimes it can take a long time at GD to get those things fixed.

tee1
2nd March 2012, 07:43 PM
using this page you still have to talk to a rep.....errrrr thats not good.
http://www.godaddy.com/domains/searchidn.aspx?ci=10645

Keldon
2nd March 2012, 07:44 PM
No you don't... Read up top when you try to register the IDN in unicode. It says please use "this form"..(a link) for Internationalized Domain Names. It doesn't say however that it'll take their automated script 10 minutes to reg it.> :P
That IDN form is what I use and it won't work for me, and apparently every Executive Account rep I have tried that is not already aware of the situation.

IDNCowboy
2nd March 2012, 07:49 PM
if there is anykind of delay, it's not with godaddy, but anyways an elephant is an elephant even in Africa ;)

It is with Godaddy.. Instead of pulling stuff out of your hat why don't you try it yourself and report back with your findings? K? until then stop spreading misinformation.

tee1
2nd March 2012, 07:50 PM
That IDN form is what I use and it won't work for me, and apparently every Executive Account rep I have tried that is not already aware of the situation.

errrr thats not good, I would go with dynadot to register them, much easier and faster and then if you are concerned about security push them to godaddy which would cost another years reg fee..

mulligan
2nd March 2012, 07:53 PM
... but anyways an elephant is an elephant even in Africa ;)

Not for long, if you keep paying your registration fees to fuckwits like him.

DktoInc
2nd March 2012, 07:59 PM
It is with Godaddy.. Instead of pulling stuff out of your hat why don't you try it yourself and report back with your findings? K? until then stop spreading misinformation.

from the time you posted this thread till now, I have regged 5 domains with godaddy. not 1 issue. no I didn't have to call them to reg an Idn.

DktoInc
2nd March 2012, 08:00 PM
Not for long, if you keep paying your registration fees to fuckwits like him.

if not him then someone else.

IDNCowboy
2nd March 2012, 08:01 PM
from the time you posted this thread till now, I have regged 5 domains with godaddy. not 1 issue. no I didn't have to call them to reg an Idn.

Sorry but I don't have my whole IDN portfolio with Godaddy.. You must be an expert.

DktoInc
2nd March 2012, 08:03 PM
Sorry but I don't have my whole IDN portfolio with Godaddy.. You must be an expert.

You seem to know a lot about me.

Keldon
2nd March 2012, 08:11 PM
.......They don't have a portfolio of their own and have expressed no interest in having one, so no shenanigans, frontrunning, shady drops manipulation, etc. They also don't have any incentive to keep data to themselves (ie. IPS data) or keep names for themselves during landrushes.

I did not know that about them. Thanks for telling me. That is very important to me

Their UI is great, by far superior to Godaddy's, Moniker's and Name's (in my opinion).

I do like Dynadot's UI better and that is exactly what got me to inquire about their security for consideration moving away from GD.

In fact, I sent an email to my rep recently complaining about having to enter the DNS entry every single time I make a change. There is no pick list like Dynadot has. That part of domain management really annoys me at GD.

Security wise I dont know what to tell you. Godaddy has much more manpower than any other registrar so they can do things that others can't.
I may revisit the email they sent me regarding security in light of what you said above about their modus operandi , but I have to find something rock solid. I don't want to risk putting myself in a situation where I am chasing domain thieves again. It's a crappy, anxiety-filled feeling when you lose great domains like that, and of course they grab your best ones. :mad:

I've been splitting domains up into multiple accounts for diversification the last few years in case one gets broken into, then maybe I'll get lucky and the others won't.......anything to keep the rats away.

Keldon
2nd March 2012, 08:12 PM
using this page you still have to talk to a rep.....errrrr thats not good.
http://www.godaddy.com/domains/searchidn.aspx?ci=10645
That's right. It won't work for me, or the multiple reps at first glance.

mulligan
2nd March 2012, 08:25 PM
if not him then someone else.

I expected a response along those lines (If you are too stupid to grasp it that's quite sad)

DktoInc
2nd March 2012, 08:43 PM
I expected a response along those lines (If you are too stupid to grasp it that's quite sad)

my responce is, as a company "Go Daddy Rules"

what's quite sad is that you are taking on a role of Mother Teresa and acting like you don't have skelletons in your closet. Business is business and don't take it personaly. If godaddy gets better deals then anyone else, I will go with them because it is brings more profit to my business. I don't know what the owner of ND does in his spare time and I couldn't care less. If he wants to whack his dog with a stick on the weekend while no one is watching then let this be on his own conscience. It's not for me to judge him. I am just here to do my thing.

Keldon
2nd March 2012, 08:52 PM

what's quite sad is that you are taking on a role of Mother Teresa and acting like you don't have skelletons in your closet. Business is business and don't take it personaly. If godaddy gets better deals then anyone else, I will go with them because it is brings more profit to my business. I don't know what the owner of ND does in his spare time and I couldn't care less. If he wants to whack his dog with a stick on the weekend while no one is watching then let this be on his own conscience. It's not for me to judge him. I am just here to do my thing.
Just playing Devil's Advocate here :)

What if you were making a great living selling sundries to the Germans while knowing they were burning the Jews in WWII ?

DktoInc
2nd March 2012, 08:58 PM
Just playing Devil's Advocate here :)

What if you were making a great living selling sundries to the Germans while knowing they were burning the Jews in WWII ?

in many counties hunting is a legal sport.

The burning of the Jews falls under a different category.

In Korea, food made of dog is a delicacy, what you gonna do? nuke em?

Keldon
2nd March 2012, 09:10 PM
in many counties hunting is a legal sport.

The burning of the Jews falls under a different category.

In Korea, food made of dog is a delicacy, what you gonna do? nuke em?
Good point.

IDNCowboy
2nd March 2012, 09:19 PM
Lets stay on topic.. Lets not go into politics

tee1
2nd March 2012, 10:54 PM
Lets stay on topic.. Lets not go into politics

+1 on that, stay on point please

DktoInc
2nd March 2012, 11:06 PM
The Point:

If I was to ask any of you what you think about "Sedo" as a domain marketplace, you would find 10 good reasons to trash it within the 5 minute time frame and back up those reasons with valid points.

Re: Godaddy as a domain registrar
Everyone is trashing the great American Company, but no one has any valid points on how it fails as a business.

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2012, 11:10 PM
The Point:

If I was to ask any of you what you think about "Sedo" as a domain marketplace, you would find 10 good reasons to trash it within the 5 minute time frame and back up those reasons with valid points.

Everyone is trashing the great American Company, but no one has any valid points on how it fails as a business.

I was a Go Daddy custumer. I left years ago. Nothing to do with Elephants. Service was appalling. I resented how difficult it was to navigate the site because of the constant attempts to sell me stuff I really wasn't interested in. Pushing hot needles into your eyes is far more relaxing.

Clotho
2nd March 2012, 11:53 PM
I was a Go Daddy custumer. I left years ago. Nothing to do with Elephants. Service was appalling. I resented how difficult it was to navigate the site because of the constant attempts to sell me stuff I really wasn't interested in. Pushing hot needles into your eyes is far more relaxing.

I left years ago as well for similar reasons and avoid them at all cost. Their interface was irritating. Service was non-existant. Trying to transfer a name away was excruciating.

If you think that the morally reprehensible nature of a company's principal does not reflect on the company itself then you are mistaken. The culture of a company is determined by whoever holds the vision at the top. If I do not agree with the morals of the company president then I should not be surprised if the company acts in a manner that I also do not agree with.

Remember Godaddy's position on SOPA?

As a consumer I vote with my dollars. I refuse to support a company that I find offensive on so many levels and has treated me so poorly in the past. I will continue to avoid them at all cost and will advise the same to anyone who asks.

Keldon
3rd March 2012, 12:25 AM
I sour more and more on GoDaddy every year, but I still find myself struggling with weighing the positives and the negatives.

GD does have some whopper positives, like GD Premium, fast account pushes with the general populace (many of which already have GD accounts and are comfortable dealing with GD), domain seller deals presented to me by my rep., fast problem resolution, reps even on weekends, great account security, good prices.

Bad stuff includes a poor UI in certain sections of the site, slow DNS updates, domain forwarding problem sometimes, slow and very manual method of changing the DNS, 30% cut of GD Premium sales, Net 30 GD Premium payments, backorders are worthless even at GD ( if you place one they place a bid "for you" and alert everyone on GD Auctions), logs me out all the time (even while actively working in the UI), their SOPA support, they repossess a lot of domains and seem to be overreaching lately, they just brought on investors which means they will want more profit and probably will start screwing up the company to make it, and I guess lastly.... elephant killing .

DktoInc
3rd March 2012, 12:30 AM
Go Daddy doesn't support SOPA

http://mashable.com/2011/12/30/go-daddy-now-officially-opposes-sopa/

Keldon
3rd March 2012, 12:34 AM
Go Daddy doesn't support SOPA

http://mashable.com/2011/12/30/go-daddy-now-officially-opposes-sopa/
I meant the previous support before they famously flip-flopped to the other side.

squirrel
3rd March 2012, 12:48 AM
I sour more and more on GoDaddy every year, but I still find myself struggling with weighing the positives and the negatives.

GD does have some whopper positives, like GD Premium, fast account pushes with the general populace (many of which already have GD accounts and are comfortable dealing with GD), domain seller deals presented to me by my rep., fast problem resolution, reps even on weekends, great account security, good prices.

Bad stuff includes a poor UI in certain sections of the site, slow DNS updates, domain forwarding problem sometimes, slow and very manual method of changing the DNS, 30% cut of GD Premium sales, Net 30 GD Premium payments, backorders are worthless even at GD ( if you place one they place a bid "for you" and alert everyone on GD Auctions), logs me out all the time (even while actively working in the UI), their SOPA support, they repossess a lot of domains and seem to be overreaching lately, they just brought on investors which means they will want more profit and probably will start screwing up the company to make it, and I guess lastly.... elephant killing .

For domainers who are mostly into IDNs, most of the positives you listed don't apply. GD Premium etc...

And again, for pricing I don't think they are that good. A few years ago I use to have several hundred domains at godaddy and my rep would send me a monthly email with my renewals for the month asking me which ones I wanted to keep. He would always conclude his email by something like "I'll make sure you'll get the best pricing for your renewals". It was nice to read but in reality I don't want to have access to the best pricing because someone is taking care of it for me, I want to have the best pricing at all times period. Dynadot is just that. Their pricing charts are there for everyone to see and you don't have to google for a coupon in order to have a decent price... ( http://www.dynadot.com/company/prices_bulk2.html )

For the security thing, you may want to start a thread here. Other members may have the same concerns as you. Dynadot will sure see it at one point and answer your questions, or you can email them the link to the thread. Maybe they'll upgrade their system a bit, or they could provide you with some tips to make your account safer (i.e. using 3 different email addresses in your whois record (registrant, admin and tech) and what not.)

Keldon
3rd March 2012, 01:21 AM
...............And again, for pricing I don't think they are that good. A few years ago I use to have several hundred domains at godaddy and my rep would send me a monthly email with my renewals for the month asking me which ones I wanted to keep. He would always conclude his email by something like "I'll make sure you'll get the best pricing for your renewals". It was nice to read but in reality I don't want to have access to the best pricing because someone is taking care of it for me, I want to have the best pricing at all times period. Dynadot is just that. Their pricing charts are there for everyone to see and you don't have to google for a coupon in order to have a decent price... ( http://www.dynadot.com/company/prices_bulk2.html ) ..........

I agree with the pricing comparison b/t Dyna and GD. It's a nominal difference. I guess I was speaking more in terms of all the other registar choices out there.

For the security thing, you may want to start a thread here. Other members may have the same concerns as you. Dynadot will sure see it at one point and answer your questions, or you can email them the link to the thread. Maybe they'll upgrade their system a bit, or they could provide you with some tips to make your account safer (i.e. using 3 different email addresses in your whois record (registrant, admin and tech) and what not.)
I actually did specifically address my concerns with them. For anyone who wants to read my questions and Dyna's response, here it is :

ME :

> Hello,
>
> Does your company have anything like GoDaddy's "DTVS" (Domain Transfer Validation Service)?
>
> That's GoDaddy's service whereby every domain that is sold or moved from my account requires a verification phone call to me and an pin # I give to authorize the transfer.
>
> I have over 3,000 domains and have been considering moving away from GoDaddy, but have fought thieves several times over the years getting into my registrar accounts at various registrars, and MUST have something like this to prevent theft going forward.
>
> Is this available, or do you have something like this in the works?
>
> Also, do you have a special phone line or anything else for larger buyers like me in terms of customer service?

DYNADOT RESPONSE:

Hello,

No we don't have anything like that. They are a much larger company than we are. Rumors say they have 3-4 thousand customer service agents. We have.... much less than that!

We do have other types of locks to help prevent theft. I'm sure you've already used the Birthday lock.

Beyond that, we also have an SMS lock and a Token. You aren't currently using either of these.

You don't need to use all three, you can use two for added security. Or you can use all three!

The SMS lock requires that we send a text message to your Cell Phone before your account can be unlocked (required for unlocking domains to move/transfer).

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question.html?aid=202

The Token requires the use of an app you install on your Android phone (it is only available for Android right now). If you want to unlock your account, you would need to use that application to generate a code, which you'd enter into your account.

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question.html?aid=319

Best Regards,
Dynadot Staff

Regarding the response above, would you folks trust a birthday lock and an SMS text as sufficient protection ? It's probably fine, but I just don't know for sure.

I won't be buying an Android.

If you guys think this would make a good thread starter I'll open one up, just let me know.

squirrel
3rd March 2012, 01:59 AM
Regarding the response above, would you folks trust a birthday lock and an SMS text as sufficient protection ? It's probably fine, but I just don't know for sure.

I'm familiar with Godaddy's pin system. You basically have a pin just like you'd have a pin for your ATM card. When a rep calls you, you give the pin to identify yourself.

I don't think this is much different than the SMS text. If I understand correctly, the system works by sending you a temporary PIN by SMS that you need to type in somewhere in your account when you "unlock" your account.

So to accept a transfer request, you would need to
(i) log in your account
(ii) unlock your account (Birthday check and/or SMS check)
(iii) unlock a domain/accept transfer request

squirrel
3rd March 2012, 02:01 AM
If it works that way (by sending a temporary PIN over SMS), I think it's as safe as Godaddy. Several companies use that system, such as Google, to validate a cellphone #.

squirrel
3rd March 2012, 02:20 AM
If someone steals your phone however you're fucked

welkin
3rd March 2012, 04:22 AM
My impression is that Moniker is the most secure--they also have additional security measures you can pay for. But I think Oversee is selling them or something?

Dynadot is my favorite for cost/interface but this is an unfortunate policy that I've mentioned before:

http://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question.html?aid=60

And their customer support seems kind of ...disconnected sometimes. But they usually respond.

Name.com sends you an email when an incorrect password is used on your account... but I'm not sure if that's super helpful, it's not like people who steal accounts are guessing passwords.

welkin
3rd March 2012, 04:39 AM
+1 on that, stay on point please

godwin's law

DktoInc
3rd March 2012, 08:28 AM
You know now that i think about it, a long time ago i had the same issue. Called them, placed a ticket and it was resolved the next day.

Ben
3rd March 2012, 09:53 AM
My impression is that Moniker is the most secure--they also have additional security measures you can pay for. But I think Oversee is selling them or something?

What security measures do they offer that other domain registrars don't? I may move my domains there if they are really the most secure.

bumblebee man
3rd March 2012, 09:54 AM
godwin's law

Yeah, unfortunately it never fails.

Actually quite a few reasons have been mentioned in this thread. I don't remember you mentioning any pros except for the price.

An IDN registration which requires a phone call should be enouth already. I once tried using their backorder service. Nedless to say it had to be paid in advance. And needless to say it didn't work with IDN. Of course it was only valid for a couple of months. And of course they had some automatic renewal to charge me again for their non-functional product. I didn't bother calling them as I don't want a service which might work after a phone call while I can get the same thing working without a phone call somewhere else.

But the main issue for me is: They constantly try to fool their customers into buying stuff they don't want. I won't buy super cheap milk in a supermarket where I have to win a shell game at the cash desk in order not to buy some not so cheap diapers with it. And I don't care whether or not I win this shell game. The point is: I don't want to work with a company which thinks I'm a fool.

Godaddy's customer base consists of fools and people who don't mind being treated as such. If the latter (or the former :p ) applies to you that's totally fine.

Vlaen
3rd March 2012, 02:38 PM
Locking my domain and preventing me from transferring it for 60 days after I change my address is enough for me to never use godaddy.

And the ads.
And SOPA.
And PIPA.
And the elephant killing corporate culture.

There is no positive item or service they have that can overcome the negatives.

The biggest negative they have though is their complete capitulation to authority without defending their customers due process rights.

godaddy steals domains from customers without a court order. (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/02/secret-service-asks-for-shutdown-of-legit-website-over-user-content-godaddy-complies.ars)

Any time we are notified by a court or a federal or state prosecutor that there is criminally infringing material on our systems, we work rapidly to disable access to that material.

No checks or balances, just a yessa massa to the bureaucrats .

Rockruler
3rd March 2012, 04:22 PM
Wow... this is a crazy discussion. At the end of the day, we should be looking to find opportunities to develop/sell/buy IDNs... who gives a rat's ass which registrar is being used. Pick one and if you don't like it, go to another. Simple. As was pointed out in one of the responses on here, business is business. Everyone has a skeleton in their closet so that shouldn't matter.

Personally, I have only ever had problems with those really small registrars that Snapnames registers drop catches to. One of the interfaces I had to deal with didn't save any updates you changed, and I couldn't figure out how to unlock my domain for transfer. I had to email them multiple times and got one-word answers back from them.

So at the end of the day pick Godaddy, Dynadot, Name, whomever else... it doesn't really matter. Do what's right for your business.

mulligan
3rd March 2012, 09:10 PM

you truly are an idiot ... good luck with that

DktoInc
3rd March 2012, 09:19 PM
you truly are an idiot ... good luck with that

Wow Mulligan,:eek: i was expecting a more mature response from you. Never thought of you as a low, slimy individual but you managed to prove me wrong.

mulligan
3rd March 2012, 09:39 PM
What you think / don't think is of no concern to me .... You are still an idiot ...

IDNCowboy
4th March 2012, 05:40 AM
Wow Mulligan,:eek: i was expecting a more mature response from you. Never thought of you as a low, slimy individual but you managed to prove me wrong.

So do you actually own any real IDNs? :P or just those silly symbol names?

Avtal
4th March 2012, 05:58 AM
Getting back to the topic of security.

A lot of good suggestions in this idndemystfied article (http://www.idndemystified.com/portfolio-management-and-security-101.htm).

I'd add: Keep your most important email addresses out of public view. For instance, the email address that shows up in whois should not be the email address where your registrar sends password resets.

I think the Dynadot system of using SMS messages to unlock your account is pretty good, but I'm not a security expert.

Avtal

DktoInc
4th March 2012, 06:03 AM
So do you actually own any real IDNs? :P or just those silly symbol names?

what i own is none of your concern.
Mind your own business and speak when spoken to.

Grim Reaper
4th March 2012, 08:51 AM
Demented and sad, but social

next person to throw a punch will get violated

mulligan
4th March 2012, 06:02 PM
next person to throw a punch will get violated

Sounds painful .............

Keldon
4th March 2012, 08:47 PM
godwin's law
Well, I'll be damned....never heard of it. That's interesting.

Sorry about that.

Keldon
4th March 2012, 08:57 PM
The last three days at GoDaddy my renewal prices have jumped to $13.17 each. My rep is out for now.

This happens every so often and then I have to run down my rep to get a refund and have him "fix" this. This is something else I forgot about that annoys me.

DktoInc
4th March 2012, 09:11 PM
The last three days at GoDaddy my renewal prices have jumped to $13.17 each. My rep is out for now.

This happens every so often and then I have to run down my rep to get a refund and have him "fix" this. This is something else I forgot about that annoys me.

.com
7.48- weasel412
7.49- ZINE10
7.99- gdbbren8

Keldon
4th March 2012, 09:32 PM
.com
7.48- weasel412
7.49- ZINE10
7.99- gdbbren8
Thanks DktoInc !!

Most of these I buy are supposed to be processed automatically at $8.49 with ICANN fee for daily regs, auctions + renewal, etc..

Like most of you I don't want to be scrolling through GD screens to process daily orders ; My time is already maxed out to the limit. Those are good prices but I can't find the administrative time to deal with things like that on a daily basis.

bwhhisc
4th March 2012, 10:32 PM

just google "godaddy coupon codes" they are easy to find.
$7.49 is the current going rate....

bwhhisc
4th March 2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks DktoInc !!

Most of these I buy are supposed to be processed automatically at $8.49 with ICANN fee for daily regs, auctions + renewal, etc..

Like most of you I don't want to be scrolling through GD screens to process daily orders ; My time is already maxed out to the limit. Those are good prices but I can't find the administrative time to deal with things like that on a daily basis.

Ask your rep to lock your account in for $7.49 names....

Or add the 'coupon' site to your favorites it takes about 10 seconds to pull them up.
Some seem to last for months...

IDNCowboy
4th March 2012, 10:58 PM
Ask your rep to lock your account in for $7.49 names....

Or add the 'coupon' site to your favorites it takes about 10 seconds to pull them up.
Some seem to last for months...

I'm surprised.. Godaddy loses money on $7.49 domains :P

welkin
6th March 2012, 08:13 AM
What security measures do they offer that other domain registrars don't? I may move my domains there if they are really the most secure.

You'd have to ask others about comparisons, but here's what they offer:

http://www.moniker.com/domainnames/domainsecurity.jsp

bumblebee man
6th March 2012, 08:38 AM
Moniker is so secure they didn't even let me change my password. :no:

Ben
6th March 2012, 08:58 AM
I just sold a domain, received the payment, and now I notice GoDaddy says "Transfer locked until 4/20/2012". Arghhhh.

bumblebee man
6th March 2012, 09:24 AM
I just sold a domain, received the payment, and now I notice GoDaddy says "Transfer locked until 4/20/2012". Arghhhh.

If you regged this recently this isn't GoDaddy's fault for a change.