PDA

View Full Version : régime.com sells for $5,500 at Sedo

yanni
27th March 2012, 10:35 PM
I thought it was refreshing to see something other than German idn sell on Sedo.

régime.com $5,500

according to theDomains (http://www.thedomains.com/2012/03/27/sedo-com-sells-1-6mm-in-domains-led-by-end-com-at-100k/)

(of course there was a German one as well: börsentreff.de € 999)

Wot
28th March 2012, 02:04 AM
Refreshing indeed.

The .co is available to register, I have heard they are the new .com!

IdnHost
28th March 2012, 02:25 AM
Refreshing indeed.

The .co is available to register, I have heard they are the new .com!

im sure "Overstock" would beg to differ hehe

Rubber Duck
28th March 2012, 04:25 PM
Is that their first English IDN?

I would love to see the buyer picking the bones out of that!

Rubber Duck
28th March 2012, 06:20 PM
Of course to be fair it can be taken as Diet.

squirrel
28th March 2012, 06:30 PM
Yes

Régime means regime as in political regime, etc.

But also means diet, weight loss program. (Diète also means diet.) It is short for "régime amaigrissant" and "régime alimentaire"

"Suivre un régime" = to be on a diet, to be on a weight loss program

squirrel
28th March 2012, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure for the European and African countries, but here in North America it is arguably the term with the closest meaning to the concept of "weight loss".

Rubber Duck
28th March 2012, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure for the European and African countries, but here in North America it is arguably the term with the closest meaning to the concept of "weight loss".

From my limited knowledge of French that is spot on.

It means little in English English.

jose
29th March 2012, 12:39 AM

That's why very often, there will be no "prime translation", as you can't translate cultures and that's also why we, despite our greatest intentions not to, will often be misleading buyers when referring an English translation. It comes with the job.

bumblebee man
29th March 2012, 08:49 AM
That's why very often, there will be no "prime translation", as you can't translate cultures and that's also why we, despite our greatest intentions not to, will often be misleading buyers when referring an English translation. It comes with the job.

Well, there's always a prime term which of course isn't necessarily a literal translation of the English prime term.

With tools like GAKT or Google Insights it usually takes less than 2 minutes to find that prime term. So rather than using the above statement for a general excuse not to research anything one could just as well do the research. It really shouldn't be that hard for someone who's been doing this for years.

alpha
29th March 2012, 10:36 AM
Well, there's always a prime term which of course isn't necessarily a literal translation of the English prime term.

With tools like GAKT or Google Insights it usually takes less than 2 minutes to find that prime term. So rather than using the above statement for a general excuse not to research anything one could just as well do the research. It really shouldn't be that hard for someone who's been doing this for years.

What he said ^

jose
29th March 2012, 02:41 PM

Great to know you know how to do this!

I have been looking for years on the prime translation for "Real Estate" for the main non-English languages, can you please help?

blastfromthepast
29th March 2012, 07:06 PM
I have been looking for years on the prime translation for "Real Estate" for the main non-English languages, can you please help?

This would have been useful 6 years ago. Not now.

jose
29th March 2012, 09:41 PM
This would have been useful 6 years ago. Not now.

Indeed. Remind me again, who owns Real Estate in Russian? How about Spanish and French?

squirrel
29th March 2012, 11:01 PM
?

what's your point

bumblebee man
29th March 2012, 11:43 PM
Great to know you know how to do this!

German: Immobilien
Russian: недвижимость
Chinese: 房(地)产

just to name a few.

Believe it or not: Real estate exists anywhere in the world. All you need a couple of people and a couple of houses.

jose
30th March 2012, 12:24 AM
German: Immobilien
Russian: недвижимость
Chinese: 房(地)产

just to name a few.

Believe it or not: Real estate exists anywhere in the world. All you need a couple of people and a couple of houses.

I don't understand absolutely nothing about Chinese or Russian, but I can assure that's not real estate in German, for the simple reason there is no real estate translation to German, French, Spanish, Portuguese...

"Immobilien" is a part of the real estate business, but can not be translated as real estate. Immobilien(DE), immobiliers (FR), inmuebles (ES), imóveis (PT) means "property in buildings", can NOT be applied to land, and even less be used to mean THE Real Estate business.

If you insist otherwise you are misleading people. Simple fact is: you can't translate Real Estate.

squirrel
30th March 2012, 12:59 AM
Jose, did you just tell one of our German member that he doesn't master his own language ???

jose
30th March 2012, 01:12 AM
Jose, did you just tell one of our German member that he doesn't master his own language ???

I did. Prove me wrong.

squirrel
30th March 2012, 01:52 AM
It's not always about being right, friend.

Rubber Duck
30th March 2012, 07:31 AM
It's not always about being right, friend.

No, ulterior motives sometimes cloud things.

bumblebee man
30th March 2012, 08:24 AM
I don't understand absolutely nothing about Chinese or Russian, but I can assure that's not real estate in German, for the simple reason there is no real estate translation to German, French, Spanish, Portuguese...

"Immobilien" is a part of the real estate business, but can not be translated as real estate. Immobilien(DE), immobiliers (FR), inmuebles (ES), imóveis (PT) means "property in buildings", can NOT be applied to land, and even less be used to mean THE Real Estate business.

If you insist otherwise you are misleading people. Simple fact is: you can't translate Real Estate.

Falo um pouquinho de alemão.

All these words derived from Latin "im-mobilis". It simply means "a thing that cannot be moved" which of course includes land. I can assure you that "Immobilien" definitely means "real estate" so I'm quite surprised you know better without knowing the language.

In Portuguese usage may differ but even Portuguese Wikipedia states: "Imóveis são todos os bens que não se podem transportar sem que se altere a sua essência."

Anyway it's not even the point whether or not translations of real estate carry the exact same meaning as the English word. As long as it's the most popular expression and the closest thing to the concept of real estate it can be considered the prime term for real estate.

Unsurprisingly you don't seem to worry about inaccurate translations as long as they are in your favour. Once confronted with that you come up with your standard excuses "I don't do research" or "You can't translate cultures" BS. I wonder how you would advertise Imóveis.com if you were selling it.

jose
30th March 2012, 02:39 PM
No one uses that terms for land. Try Google images and find some land in there.

As long as it's the most popular expression and the closest thing to the concept of real estate it can be considered the prime term for real estate.

If they are "the closest thing to the concept", you are misleading people!

Unsurprisingly you don't seem to worry about inaccurate translations as long as they are in your favour. Once confronted with that you come up with your standard excuses "I don't do research" or "You can't translate cultures" BS. I wonder how you would advertise Imóveis.com if you were selling it.

Finally. That is exactly my point. Often, there is no such thing as an exact translation and a prime term.

All members here should agree on "the closest thing to the concept". If they don't, they should stop buying and selling IDN's on languages they don't speak.

Yes, I would advertise "Imóveis" as Real Estate, as its "the closest thing to the concept". But I am 100% sure there would be "someone" complaining on my auction, as for some reason they often don't like my "the closest thing to the concept", but don't mind doing the same to others.

bumblebee man
31st March 2012, 12:24 PM
No one uses that terms for land. Try Google images and find some land in there.

Just like the English term.

If they are "the closest thing to the concept", you are misleading people!

Why? I don't think many people here worry about linguistic hair-splitting as long as they get the best term.

Finally. That is exactly my point. Often, there is no such thing as an exact translation and a prime term.

I agree on exact translation. But once again: That doesn't mean there's no prime term.

All members here should agree on "the closest thing to the concept". If they don't, they should stop buying and selling IDN's on languages they don't speak.

What makes you think anyone doesn't?

Yes, I would advertise "Imóveis" as Real Estate, as its "the closest thing to the concept". But I am 100% sure there would be "someone" complaining on my auction, as for some reason they often don't like my "the closest thing to the concept", but don't mind doing the same to others.

Any examples where you've been criticised for a translation despite offering the top term?

blackpower
31st March 2012, 12:48 PM
While you guys keep arguing, I just registered in Portuguese:
Miami Real Estate -Miami is the biggest US destination for Brazil turists and buyers of Real Estate
Visit Florida - for the same reason (idn and matching ascii)

bumblebee man
31st March 2012, 01:03 PM
While you, guys keep arguing, I just registered in Portugues:
Miami Real Estate -Miami is the biggest destination for Brazil turists and buyers of Real Estate
Visit Florida - for the same reason (idn and matching ascii)

Nice. So you just registered something that doesn't exist. ;)