PDA

View Full Version : DCG's registration all done one day?

touchring
24th May 2006, 04:39 AM
Has anyone noticed that DCG's registration of idns is like all done on the 20th March?? In comparison, most of us register everyday. I've not seen any registration done later than the 20th. Puzzling.

thegenius1
24th May 2006, 05:27 AM
Has anyone noticed that DCG's registration of idns is like all done on the 20th March?? In comparison, most of us register everyday. I've not seen any registration done later than the 20th. Puzzling.

How many of his have you noticed this one , i just did a quick check of 2 domains i remember him having and i found this date Expiration Date: 2007-03-06
Creation Date: 2006-03-06
Last Update Date: 2006-03-06

Olney
24th May 2006, 02:06 PM
I'd probably be more interested in the quality of his registrations..
I've heard the number but I've never heard any premium examples unless he's written them only in his executive section.

I'm just curious since he's public about having 5,000 IDNs.

alpha
24th May 2006, 02:13 PM
I'll bet most are Chinese & Arabic

Giant
24th May 2006, 02:23 PM
I'll bet most are Chinese & Arabic

Yes, he put some money into Chinese domains. But you have to search some junk domains to see where he is hiding :-).

bwhhisc
24th May 2006, 02:30 PM
Yes, he put some money into Chinese domains. But you have to search some junk domains to see where he is hiding :-).

We all get some junk in foreign languages, exception to native speakers.
DCG has the experience and resources to most likely have a pretty good collection across a lot of languages. I hope he shares some of his lists and strategy someday.

Also noticed he has registered equivalent of bilingual.com in Chinese...that was one we were after too, but also reg'd in March.

Olney
24th May 2006, 02:31 PM
Are you saying that they are bad Chinese registrations?

bwhhisc
24th May 2006, 02:33 PM

I think that question is to Giant...the ones I have seen that DCG registered were keywords we were after as well with (hopefully) correct translations, and minimum of 10,000,000 google.

thegenius1
24th May 2006, 03:16 PM
I'll share 2 japanese IDN's i have found that he Regd :

東京湾.com
Tokyo Bay (東京湾; Tōkyō-wan) is a bay in the southern Kanto region of Japan, surrounded by the Boso Peninsula (Chiba Prefecture) and the Miura Peninsula (Kanagawa Prefecture). The ports of Tokyo, Chiba, Kawasaki, Yokohama, and Yokosuka are all located on Tokyo Bay

東京圏.com
The Greater Tokyo Area is a large metropolitan area in Japan consisting of the metropolis of Tokyo and the prefectures of Chiba, Kanagawa and Saitama. In Japanese, it is referred to as the Tokyo Area (東京圏, Tōkyō-ken?)

Giant
24th May 2006, 03:23 PM

They are not bad registrations. He probably hired some people fluent in different languages in March and collected a list of words and then regged them all. Of course, there are not many good Chinese names left in March. Some of his Chinese regs are ok, but many others I wouldn't want to reg them myself. He probably got some good regs in other languages.

gammascalper
24th May 2006, 03:23 PM
He did well in the languages that weren't already fully mined in March, like Urkanian, Hindi, Icelandic, some Czech.

If those Japanese are representative, then maybe not so good in others. :)

At the end of the day, if he has a hit-rate of 5% he's laughing all the way to the bank with 250 good ones.

touchring
24th May 2006, 03:25 PM
He didn't just hire a few people fluent in different languages - he registered 100+ different languages. All this done only in a span of a few weeks!

gammascalper
24th May 2006, 03:28 PM
He did say he used that multi-language translator which is not that accurate but spits out tens of results per query.

It was a brute force effort methinks.

Giant
24th May 2006, 04:07 PM
We all get some junk in foreign languages, exception to native speakers.
DCG has the experience and resources to most likely have a pretty good collection across a lot of languages. I hope he shares some of his lists and strategy someday.

Also noticed he has registered equivalent of bilingual.com in Chinese...that was one we were after too, but also reg'd in March.

bilingual.com is a top name in English, especially to Canadians, we have 2 formal languages. But 双语 is just an average name in Chinese, although you get more than 4M results from Google. To explain why, we should look at the make up of the people in an English speaking country and a mainly Chinese-speaking China. Canada's population speak many different languages daily, bilingual workers are in high demand. But 双语 is used in China when someone has some documents to be translated. If you say to some one "get me a bilingual person" in Chinese, people don't normally catch what you are saying, you have to explain that you need a person that can speak 2 languages.

Rubber Duck
24th May 2006, 05:05 PM
I'd probably be more interested in the quality of his registrations..
I've heard the number but I've never heard any premium examples unless he's written them only in his executive section.

I'm just curious since he's public about having 5,000 IDNs.

I came across a couple when looking at Azeri, media related and probably Turkish. Very high quality indeed!

touchring
24th May 2006, 05:17 PM
Yes, this strategy is good for lesser mined languages, but somehow i feel that sooner or later Google will crack down on traffic outside of industrialized nations.

It will happen, only a matter of time, when enough advertisers complain about the non-conversion....

Rubber Duck
24th May 2006, 05:24 PM
Yes, this strategy is good for lesser mined languages, but somehow i feel that sooner or later Google will crack down on traffic outside of industrialized nations.

It will happen, only a matter of time, when enough advertisers complain about the non-conversion....

I think you will find that has been happening for a while, if anything the reverse is true will traffic from developed nations being clamped down on for lack of relevency. By contrast slowly but surely there does seem to be some acceptence that non American traffic might have some value. At the same time, I think there is a growing tendency for Google to screw everyone!

touchring
24th May 2006, 05:29 PM
By contrast slowly but surely there does seem to be some acceptence that non American traffic might have some value.

It depends on the type of product sold. Mail delivered consumer products (which attract the highest traffic) is mostly out - the cost of express mail delivery will be multiples of the product price.

Drewbert
24th May 2006, 07:35 PM
So he's bagging flies with a shotgun?

I've NEVER seen his WHOIS on any name I've been researching.

I'd say quite a low percentage of those 5000 names are actually worth registering.

touchring
24th May 2006, 09:49 PM
I've encountered his WHOIS no less than 10 times, that hi-impact company.