PDA

View Full Version : IE 7.0 Unistallation

Rubber Duck
24th May 2006, 10:43 AM
I have installed the Public Beta 2 on my machines, but Lenka cannot get to her bank account in CZ, as it doesn't support IE 7.0.

So I tried to uninstall it on my other machine, but even the Public Beta seems to be unable to perform this basic essential task of any Beta. What was the Chief Software Architects name again. Yes, the Arsehole with the glasses.

Anyway, failing that I restored the system to before the IE 7.0 installation. No joy. I get Google.co.uk which is the home page and nothing else. I don't have Firefox on this machine, so I seem to be completely knackered. Is there any reasonable way I can get a browser to be able to access the internet from this machine.

What a dumb f*ck idea, it is to incorporate the browser into the operating system, especially one as flakey as Windows. If Bill, yes thats the guy, thinks I want this sh*t on my mobile phone as well, he is seriously deluded!

markits
24th May 2006, 10:58 AM
Don't be sad (you may need to take your glasses off though).

Have you tried the text only browser Lynx
http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/index.html

Rubber Duck
24th May 2006, 11:02 AM
Don't be sad (you may need to take your glasses off though).

Have you tried the text only browser Lynx
http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/index.html

No, but how do you install a browser when you don't have one that will access the internet. Taking another browser is fine when you have IE 6.0 in the first place. When it is all screwed up, what can I do other than reinstall the bloody operating sytem? I thought all these gadgets were meant to save people's time!

I thought Microsoft were listening. From where I am sat, they must be listening to Acid House!

blastfromthepast
24th May 2006, 11:03 AM
OS X. Default browser. IDN Support since 2004.
— Uninstalling an app? Drag one file to the trash.

Dual boot Windows NT.

Tripple boot Linux.

No Bill.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

domainguru
24th May 2006, 11:37 AM
I have installed the Public Beta 2 on my machines, but Lenka cannot get to her bank account in CZ, as it doesn't support IE 7.0.

So I tried to uninstall it on my other machine, but even the Public Beta seems to be unable to perform this basic essential task of any Beta. What was the Chief Software Architects name again. Yes, the Arsehole with the glasses.

Anyway, failing that I restored the system to before the IE 7.0 installation. No joy. I get Google.co.uk which is the home page and nothing else. I don't have Firefox on this machine, so I seem to be completely knackered. Is there any reasonable way I can get a browser to be able to access the internet from this machine.

What a dumb f*ck idea, it is to incorporate the browser into the operating system, especially one as flakey as Windows. If Bill, yes thats the guy, thinks I want this sh*t on my mobile phone as well, he is seriously deluded!

I haven't used IE "seriously" for about 5 years, and that's on a PC all that time. Opera is a fine browser and small download. Any reason why you can't download that? It won't screw up your PC like IE does ...

mulligan
24th May 2006, 11:55 AM
Duck, if you have your XP or whatever windows installation disk fire it up. (Or borrow one)

My computer --> Right Click on the drive your disk is in --> Explore

Will give you a list of files on the disk. Hunt around and you should find IE6 on there somewhere.

Reinstall

alpha
24th May 2006, 12:04 PM
RD: check your email :)

blastfromthepast
24th May 2006, 12:10 PM
Lenka cannot get to her bank account in CZ, as it doesn't support IE 7.0.

Because the site does a check to see which browser you are using? Or it simply does not work?

Rubber Duck
24th May 2006, 12:35 PM
Because the site does a check to see which browser you are using? Or it simply does not work?

It hangs when you try to enter the account. It use a floppy disk routine as a dongle.

I haven't used IE "seriously" for about 5 years, and that's on a PC all that time. Opera is a fine browser and small download. Any reason why you can't download that? It won't screw up your PC like IE does ...

Yes, but when you are left with no browser, how do you install one?

RD: check your email :)

Thanks but it refuses to go there as it finds something newer on the system and just kicks off!

Thanks for listening Bill. And then having a bloody good laugh at my expense!

alpha
24th May 2006, 12:40 PM
Uninstalling

To uninstall IE 7 beta 2 again, I followed the instructions from the IE Blog (Q 6).

Go to the Add/Remove Programs control panel, be sure to check 'Show updates', and the IE 7 beta will appear as the final Windows update.

Uninstall it by clicking on it, then on the button. Again you see a few messages that your settings are being changed, and eventually you have to restart your computer. When that's done you have your old IE 6 back.

mulligan
24th May 2006, 12:42 PM
To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
Check “Show Updates” at the top of the dialog box. (If you are running Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview - March 20, or a newer version of IE7, this step is not necessary.)
Scroll down the list to “Windows XP – Software Updates,” select “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview,” and then click "Change/Remove."
If "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2" does not exist, run %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)

domainguru
24th May 2006, 12:51 PM
It hangs when you try to enter the account. It use a floppy disk routine as a dongle.

Yes, but when you are left with no browser, how do you install one?

Thanks but it refuses to go there as it finds something newer on the system and just kicks off!

Thanks for listening Bill. And then having a bloody good laugh at my expense!

Sorry, you've got me confused. How are you accessing this forum without a browser?

Rubber Duck
24th May 2006, 12:57 PM
Sorry, you've got me confused. How are you accessing this forum without a browser?

On another machine!

domainguru
24th May 2006, 01:02 PM
On another machine!

Ah that explains it. So the machines aren't networked or anything? Can't you download Opera on the good machine, email it, and pick it up on the 2nd machine?

Lee

Giant
24th May 2006, 01:58 PM
Ah that explains it. So the machines aren't networked or anything? Can't you download Opera on the good machine, email it, and pick it up on the 2nd machine?

Lee

Yes, this is the simplest way to do it. Just download Opera or Firefox and then transfer it to that machine and click to install.

Rubber Duck
24th May 2006, 02:02 PM
Yes, this is the simplest way to do it. Just download Opera or Firefox and then transfer it to that machine and click to install.

Yes, I am working on that. I tried putting operating system back to earlier date and I am now trying to reverse that. Now everything is going really slowly but installing Firefox or Opera by simply taking a copy of the file from my machine looks easy enough.

This has really pissed me off big time. I swear I will buy a Mac next time around!

Thanks Mulligan for suggestions but there did not seem to be any other Updates to remove. I think the problem is that the latest IE 6.0 checks for Service Pack 1 but throws its dummy out when it sees Service Pack Microsoft are just too clever for their own bloody boots. Why we just can't have a stand alone browser that just bloody works is beyond me!

Giant
24th May 2006, 02:18 PM
Yes, I am working on that. I tried putting operating system back to earlier date and I am now trying to reverse that. Now everything is going really slowly but installing Firefox or Opera by simply taking a copy of the file from my machine looks easy enough.

This has really pissed me off big time. I swear I will buy a Mac next time around!

Thanks Mulligan for suggestions but there did not seem to be any other Updates to remove. I think the problem is that the latest IE 6.0 checks for Service Pack 1 but throws its dummy out when it sees Service Pack Microsoft are just too clever for their own bloody boots. Why we just can't have a stand alone browser that just bloody works is beyond me!

If you have problem with IE6 or IE7 and you can't fix it, there is a very simple solution too. Just delete the whole Internet Explorer folder in the Program Files directory, and then reinstall.

Rubber Duck
24th May 2006, 04:37 PM
If you have problem with IE6 or IE7 and you can't fix it, there is a very simple solution too. Just delete the whole Internet Explorer folder in the Program Files directory, and then reinstall.

Thanks I might have a go at that later. I have got firefox working so that will do for now. I think there might be a problem installing the latest version of IE 6.0 over Service Pack 2.

Bill was in the game of predicting the future the other day. Well, this is my prediction for him. Within ten years there will be two computers systems with different architectures made in India and China. Everyone from the US will be moaning because of delays in getting English updates of the latest software, but we will still buy them because they will be all singing, all dancing and seemlessly reliable, not to mention very cheap. There will be problems in the West because we will have two competing incompatible system in use, but the Chinese and the Indians will get huge benefits from each have just one system each for the whole country!

OldIDNer
24th May 2006, 04:53 PM
To uninstall the IE7 betas:

start->control panel->add remove programs->at the top check "show updates" radio box->scroll down in the list->you will see IE7 listed, uninstall that, restart and you are on IE6

Rubber Duck
24th May 2006, 04:58 PM
To uninstall the IE7 betas:

start->control panel->add remove programs->at the top check "show updates" radio box->scroll down in the list->you will see IE7 listed, uninstall that, restart and you are on IE6

Well I basically did that although I did not do the Show Updates, but when I checked there weren't any. Yes, I did get IE 6.0 and I could get Google on my home page and it was able to search. What I didn't get was access to any of the other sites on the Internet. Google is great for find other sites, but a bit pointless if you cannot actually go to them.

OldIDNer
24th May 2006, 05:08 PM
You have to check that in order to see them.

Rubber Duck
24th May 2006, 05:14 PM
You have to check that in order to see them.

Yes, I am sure that is correct but I did it later and there was nothing there. Thanks.

I am sure the problem was that there were later updates to IE 6.0 in the system somewhere that could be accessed.

mulligan
24th May 2006, 05:25 PM
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9560/untitledcaptured018ip.jpg

Rubber Duck
24th May 2006, 05:28 PM
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9560/untitledcaptured018ip.jpg

Thanks, got that but I had already removed it. I went back to look for other bits to remove but there weren't any, probably because I didn't install the initial versions.

Drewbert
24th May 2006, 07:54 PM
>It use a floppy disk routine as a dongle.

You can get medication for that, you know.

>I swear I will buy a Mac next time around!

"Next time around" sounds like it should be right now.

Go get the new dual core Intel iMac 20", max out the RAM, buy the mini-DVI -> DVI video adapter, plug your LCD screen off your current machine in as a second screen and we'll welcome you to the new millenium.

Rubber Duck
26th May 2006, 10:22 PM
Finally, got around to reinstalling IE. IE 6.0 still wasn't having it even though I tried to delete most of the most of directory. Things kept coming back as fast as I could get rid of them.

Had fun and game with IE 7.0 as the installation proceedure has changed since the last time I tried to install the Beta 2.0. We are now on 5346.5 I believe. There is a whole rigmerole around verification that wasn' there before. It would seem that rather than being concerned that everyone get a function piece of software which we all paid for years ago, there concern is focused on making sure that nobody who has paid gets access. Very far sighted Mr Gates! Frankly, I was in charge of the EU he would jailed the minute he steppped off the plane. The bloody additional stress all this nonsense has caused tonight is unreal.

Anyway, I would seem that the download proceedures and ensuring validation of OS is the main cause of the hold-up, and however irritating it is to all concerned they do seem to be making progress towards the day when they will be happy to unleash the automatic updating of IE 6.0 to IE 7.0.

It is also very clear why this has to 100%. It is going to get under the skin of your OS to such an extent that it is going to be virtually impossible to remove it if there is a problem.

RD

Giant
26th May 2006, 11:14 PM
Finally, got around to reinstalling IE. IE 6.0 still wasn't having it even though I tried to delete most of the most of directory. Things kept coming back as fast as I could get rid of them.

Had fun and game with IE 7.0 as the installation proceedure has changed since the last time I tried to install the Beta 2.0. We are now on 5346.5 I believe. There is a whole rigmerole around verification that wasn' there before. It would seem that rather than being concerned that everyone get a function piece of software which we all paid for years ago, there concern is focused on making sure that nobody who has paid gets access. Very far sighted Mr Gates! Frankly, I was in charge of the EU he would jailed the minute he steppped off the plane. The bloody additional stress all this nonsense has caused tonight is unreal.

Anyway, I would seem that the download proceedures and ensuring validation of OS is the main cause of the hold-up, and however irritating it is to all concerned they do seem to be making progress towards the day when they will be happy to unleash the automatic updating of IE 6.0 to IE 7.0.

It is also very clear why this has to 100%. It is going to get under the skin of your OS to such an extent that it is going to be virtually impossible to remove it if there is a problem.

RD

When you try to delete the whole folder, make sure you set File Display Option to display all files including system files. If you can't delete the Folder then it means some files are still there.