PDA

View Full Version : New Sedo IDN warning

bumblebee man
18th April 2012, 11:58 AM
Please note that even if the signs in this domain name appear like regular signs, the domain can only be reached by typing in: XN--blablabla.COM.

Needless to say it's utterly wrong.

Hate to say it but that's pretty much what I predicted.

squirrel
18th April 2012, 12:16 PM
How clueless. And they are in the business of selling domains ??? WTF.

IdnHost
18th April 2012, 12:39 PM
lol!!

jose
18th April 2012, 01:05 PM
It can get worst...

Rubber Duck
18th April 2012, 05:55 PM
Which is why they are pretty much unmarketable at the moment.

But what if some buyers suddenly deluded themselves into thinking that you could simply type in native characters on a native keyboard? You know a bit like tens of thousands are already doing every day.

blastfromthepast
18th April 2012, 10:37 PM
Who is Sedo to determine if the "signs" are regular?

blastfromthepast
18th April 2012, 10:38 PM
It can get worst...

Thanks to you for alerting Sedo.

bumblebee man
18th April 2012, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I guess that's what comes of it.

Wot
19th April 2012, 12:38 AM
Instead of complaining that it is wrong on the thread here why not try telling Sedo it is wrong and what should be showing?

The recent plague of ASCII looking IDN has reduced dramatically on both the auction (now only 3 from a dozen or more per week recently) and the featured domains are down from over 30 to 1!) so something has happened,perhaps they have listened a little?

If you guys don't want to try post what would you like to see on IDN descriptions at Sedo that would satisfy the members here and be generally fair and I will give it a go to get through?

bumblebee man
19th April 2012, 06:36 PM
Instead of complaining that it is wrong on the thread here why not try telling Sedo it is wrong and what should be showing?

That's what I'm doing now and that's why I'm pissed off.

The recent plague of ASCII looking IDN has reduced dramatically on both the auction (now only 3 from a dozen or more per week recently) and the featured domains are down from over 30 to 1!) so something has happened,perhaps they have listened a little?

Yes, that's nice. I don't like the price we are paying for that however.

Was it predictable? Yes
(http://www.idnforums.com/forums/30891-%D0%85%D0%95%D0%9E-com-yet-another-pile-of-crap.html#post192209)
Are we better off now?
Well, answer that for yourself.

If you guys don't want to try post what would you like to see on IDN descriptions at Sedo that would satisfy the members here and be generally fair and I will give it a go to get through?

I'm working on a complaint letter. I'll shoot you a PM shortly.

Drewbert
19th April 2012, 08:54 PM

This is the company that doesn't even show it's "closing soon" auctions on it's home page, preferring to push it's "featured domains" and "featured auctions"?

They've proved time and time again that they're not interested in listening.

The opposite to what Namedrive used to be like.

Wot
20th April 2012, 10:24 AM
http://monikerblog.com/?p=586

Tweets allowed,in fact encouraged!

squirrel
20th April 2012, 04:15 PM
done.

squirrel
20th April 2012, 07:29 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/Sedo/statuses/193418433038262272

Wot
21st April 2012, 06:53 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/Sedo/statuses/193418433038262272

Didn't take long did it. :)

bumblebee man
21st April 2012, 08:11 AM
well done, thx lads

Wot
23rd April 2012, 08:35 AM
A new new warning/description.

http://www.sedo.co.uk/search/details.php4?domain=xn--80a6aa.com

Wot
23rd April 2012, 09:10 AM
** This domain contains special non-English characters (i.e. "ä","ö","ü","á","é", "í") and is an Internationalized Domain (IDN). Please note that even if the signs in this domain name appear like regular signs, the domain may not be always reachable by typing in the name, due to browser limitations on IDN names and user setup. The domain can be reached by typing in: XN--80A6AA.COM.

Ben
23rd April 2012, 09:47 AM
Not perfect, but it's better than it was, and at least they are listening. Strange they make grammar errors like "i.e." instead of "e.g.," and capitalizing "Internationalized Domain". Not to mention "signs" instead of "characters".

Ryu
23rd April 2012, 10:15 AM
Somewhat strange warning for non-latin IDNs. SEDO should say something like, some latin IDNs are designed to look like proper English words....

alpha
23rd April 2012, 12:22 PM
I really think they should just list a notice such as: Hallo we're sedo, and we know shit about IDNs, as far as we are concerned everything is german - but we do like taking the commission for those other funny signs, but what can you do. laters.

Wot
24th April 2012, 01:18 AM
I really think they should just list a notice such as: Hallo we're sedo, and we know shit about IDNs, as far as we are concerned everything is german - but we do like taking the commission for those other funny signs, but what can you do. laters.

They are finally beginning to listen and actually starting to try to do things-in their own way.

Don't you think encouragement would be more suitable?

alpha
24th April 2012, 06:42 AM
They are finally beginning to listen and actually starting to try to do things-in their own way.

Don't you think encouragement would be more suitable?

encouragement? no. i still think mockery is best suited.

these guys could have fixed this years ago by consulting a language expert or dare i say it, non-European (read: non German) native speakers, or even if they are too cheap, maybe even people here... but no, they decided the best approach is to aimlessly wander around in the dark, making fools of themselves, and in turn hurting an infant market.
That was then, but its still going on, that is still their approach. So no, no high-fives from me just yet.

Wot
24th April 2012, 08:27 AM
encouragement? no. i still think mockery is best suited.

these guys could have fixed this years ago by consulting a language expert or dare i say it, non-European (read: non German) native speakers, or even if they are too cheap, maybe even people here... but no, they decided the best approach is to aimlessly wander around in the dark, making fools of themselves, and in turn hurting an infant market.
That was then, but its still going on, that is still their approach. So no, no high-fives from me just yet.

That's a good positive approach,should help a lot.

Perhaps you can tell us what you want to see Sedo do to satisfy your requirements and then let others try and get it implemented on your behalf?

At the end of the day Sedo is likely to eventually be the main platform for selling IDN unless I am missing something?

So,keep chipping away or not bother?

alpha
24th April 2012, 08:30 AM
That's a good positive approach,should help a lot.

Perhaps you can tell us what you want to see Sedo do to satisfy your requirements and then let others try and get it implemented on your behalf?

At the end of the day Sedo is likely to eventually be the main platform for selling IDN unless I am missing something?

So,keep chipping away or not bother?

I would be as arrogant as Sedo if I was to suggest something.
Like I said. this needs language experts and/or natives.

Wot
24th April 2012, 10:09 AM
I would be as arrogant as Sedo if I was to suggest something.
Like I said. this needs language experts and/or natives.

Totally the opposite in my humble opinion. It's people like you and other community notables who should be giving input directly or indirectly to Sedo.

For whatever reason they are starting to listen and surely this is the time to try to push a little more rather than back off?

Baby steps? :)

Avtal
24th April 2012, 01:20 PM
I'm feeling arrogant this morning, so here's my suggestion.

This is an Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) [give link to introductory article on IDNs]. It uses the Cyrillic [or Extended Latin or Greek] alphabet [if the domain doesn't use one of those scripts, this sentence can be omitted, because there won't be spoofing problems]. Depending on your browser's language settings, the domain name may appear as [show punycode] [give link to page on IDN browser support]. Some email clients may not fully support IDNs [give link to page on plans for IDN email support].

IDNs are valuable because they allow people to interact with the Internet in their own language.

Actually, this is the easy part. Sedo would have to write a bit of code to recognize whether the domain is in one of the spoofing scripts (Extended Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, or I suppose Cherokee and Canadian Syllabics).

And someone would need to write the linked-to articles (on IDNs, browser support, and email support), keep them up to date, and translate them to whatever languages Sedo supports.

I don't think Sedo is up to the task of writing and updating the detailed articles. But I know a group that is.

So:

What if IdnTools wrote these articles, kept them up to date, and hosted them on the idntools.com site? It seems to me that having links from Sedo (and Sedo's implicit endorsement of IdnTool's IDN expertise) would be of some value.

Avtal

alpha
24th April 2012, 01:47 PM
What if IdnTools wrote these articles, kept them up to date, and hosted them on the idntools.com site? It seems to me that having links from Sedo (and Sedo's implicit endorsement of IdnTool's IDN expertise) would be of some value.

Avtal

That won't work.

A) idntools has just launched a service that essentially competes with sedo, so sedo for sure won't want to be linking to us

B) our toolset may be free, but we're no charity and certainly not in the business of providing free consultancy - but thanks for thinking of us

blastfromthepast
24th April 2012, 02:38 PM
The new warning is even more offensive than the first.

bumblebee man
24th April 2012, 03:13 PM
Sedo would have to write a bit of code to recognize whether the domain is in one of the spoofing scripts (Extended Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, or I suppose Cherokee and Canadian Syllabics).

They will never do this. They have an IDN warning for all IDNs regardless of how pointless this is. I'm not even sure they are aware of scripts other than Latin.

blastfromthepast
25th April 2012, 04:46 AM
I'm not even sure they are aware of scripts other than Latin.

I would say you are right, given that their last attempt to deal with Chinese names involved only those in Latin script.

Sedo.com/China - Your source for the best Chinese top level domains
Hello Everyone,

We are happy to announce that Sedo.com/China is now online with the best Chinese related domain names!

http://www.domainstate.com/sedo-47/sedo-comchina-your-source-for-the-best-chinese-top-101870.html?p=475374