PDA

View Full Version : .com vs .net type-ins

23rd April 2012, 10:57 AM
For those of have the same names in both .net .com

What % of traffic goes to net?

Have you noticed differences depending on culture/language e.g russians are less likely to use net and arabs are more likely to use them etc..

sunsei21
24th April 2012, 03:05 AM
best way to learn to swim is to dive in...

Clotho
24th April 2012, 06:01 AM
A few years ago I did some analysis of my portfolio like you describe. I couldn't find the thread I posted this in so here it is again.

There is much more traffic now but I would have to say that the ratio hasn't changed much or if anything has happened it is that .com has grown stronger.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4786/domaingraph.jpg

For those of have the same names in both .net .com

What % of traffic goes to net?

Have you noticed differences depending on culture/language e.g russians are less likely to use net and arabs are more likely to use them etc..

alpha
24th April 2012, 07:04 AM
thought I'd share too, this also covers your earlier question in another thread about self sustaining portfolios:

http://www.intertagmedia.com/webimages/chart.jpg

I have an excel that produces a ton of these kinds of charts from my traffic data, and thought this one might be interesting.

It is looking at which parts of my portfolio are self-sustaining.
The blue representing renewal costs, and the red, parking income.

Japanese .coms as you can see just about hold their own
Russian and Arabic dot coms also look promising
Russian dot nets have always produced good traffic
and despite me having a proper sexy collection of top tier dot jps, they produce little revenue

while the numbers may be missing from the charts, the scale is accurate - so an interesting observation for example, is that I have roughly the same number of chinese & arabic domains, yet the revenue gap between the two is considerable.
Likewise Russian dot nets vs Arabic dot nets

JamesD
24th April 2012, 08:28 AM
Alpha, would you say that Russian .nets outperform .com, or are your Russian .net names much better keywords than your .coms?

alpha
24th April 2012, 08:48 AM
Alpha, would you say that Russian .nets outperform .com, or are your Russian .net names much better keywords than your .coms?

yes I only have very good .net keywords, and the data reflects that.

But I've dropped a lot of average Russian .nets too, and can say 100% confidently that an average .net will not out perform an average .com

24th April 2012, 09:44 AM
that is very insightful. thanks.

it's good to see that the idn.com outperforms the .jp.

I did a few random japanese searches last week and felt that the ads showed more .jp domains more co.jp than jp and a few com.

JamesD
24th April 2012, 11:16 AM
yes I only have very good .net keywords, and the data reflects that.

But I've dropped a lot of average Russian .nets too, and can say 100% confidently that an average .net will not out perform an average .com

Ok, thanks.