PDA

View Full Version : Idn.com Vs. Idn.idn...Renewal? What You Gonna Do?

has2hands
8th May 2012, 01:03 PM
Hello,

I keep thinking when aliasing occurs and my next move in renewals and associated fees.

So, lets say I own 250 idn domains...and .com/.net gets aliases...now it may now happen all at once, but I image I will purchase the alias for my particular domain name.

So, my renewals fees have doubled. But....in big picture....

Do I renew both? or stick with IDN.idn?

I keep thinking about this and wondering what others may do at renewal times...are you going to keep both? or move into IDN.idn? and let the idn.com delete?

OR...am I missing something?

I think that value may be in keeping both, for resale opportunities to endusers and other domainers?

Does anyone have a game plan?

8th May 2012, 01:33 PM
deleted

squirrel
8th May 2012, 01:47 PM
As it was explained before, it doesn't make sense for idn.com and idn.idn not to be controlled by the same person. As a result, and if it's even possible in the future, if you pay only for .com or .idn, the other could not be activated by anyone other than you. Similarly, it should not be possible to sell one and keep the other.

This has not been discussed by Verisign but it's the most obvious way to limit user confusion - which is the reason there will be "aliasing" in the first place -

has2hands
8th May 2012, 02:27 PM
I hope it works that way.

Just seems like too much money to leave on table.

But, thanks again. Feels like I saved some money.

Rubber Duck
8th May 2012, 02:41 PM
Obvious.

Renew all you IDN.com.

Those that are paying for themselves and a friend can be extended into IDN.IDN

If the IDN.IDN pay more than IDN.com then extend even further until you hit somekind of wall in terms of increased returns.

In the meantime chill out and stop worrying about it.

jose
8th May 2012, 02:51 PM
The idn.idn "activation" should free. There should not even be an "activation", it should be automatic and transparent.

But we know Verisign and they use every pretext to steal some bucks from domainers.

I bet you will have to pay triple for terms that are Japanese and Chinese Simpl and Chinese Trad.

Jay
8th May 2012, 03:16 PM
Obvious.

Renew all you IDN.com.

Those that are paying for themselves and a friend can be extended into IDN.IDN

If the IDN.IDN pay more than IDN.com then extend even further until you hit somekind of wall in terms of increased returns.

Yep, that's the smart strategy. The test-as-we-go approach.

alexd
8th May 2012, 04:51 PM
So, my renewals fees have doubled.

I am already in this situation with the number of Greek domains I have registered - There are always two versions you can register - Accented, and non-accented - and I always try to get both !!

htmlindex
9th May 2012, 09:48 AM
What would be the point of activating idn.idn if you automatically get it if you choose to activate it, but you will have to pay a 2nd renewal fee as well? Why not just keep idn.com & when you sell your name to someone, tell them they can activate idn.idn themselves automatically if they wish?

I am already in this situation with the number of Greek domains I have registered - There are always two versions you can register - Accented, and non-accented - and I always try to get both !!

I also try to pick up both verisons of Greek names & hate that it adds up in renewals :( But the upside is you can sell one of the versions & keep the other version to sell later if you wish :yes:

bumblebee man
9th May 2012, 09:51 AM
Does anyone have a game plan?

Too early for a game plan imo as we don't even know the rules of the game yet.

We don't know:
- what the fees will be like
- what IDN.IDN does to our traffic
- whether you can handle them separately (keep one and drop the other)
- whether that makes sense

Keep in mind that IDN.com is around for more than a decade and still isn't supported entirely. IDN.IDN will probably raise new problems of IDN support. Good luck in convincing Sedo that Доменноеимя.ком is a regular domain name.

RD's plan sounds good for maximizing parking revenue but then again parking revenue is only one of many aspects worth considering.