PDA

View Full Version : Current remaining risks to the success of generic .com IDNs

23rd May 2012, 03:35 PM
boredom i guess, not much else to read here
Since that is the case while waiting for the big 'Reveal Day' maybe someone would like to discuss what are the current remaining risks to the adaptation/success of generic descriptive product/service .com idn's in the 6 scripts we know verisign applied for (Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Devanagari, Hangul and Hebrew)?

23rd May 2012, 03:41 PM
I confused Japanese and Devanagari but regardless i think we will likely also see Devanagari as another applied for and if that's the case we still don't know what other 4 they have applied for (+1 ascii string total 12 applied for strings based on recent investors call)

squirrel
23rd May 2012, 03:45 PM
The remaining risk/hurdles might look something like this : http://www.thedomains.com/2012/05/23/generic-idn-gets-hit-with-a-udrp-cabanas-com/

23rd May 2012, 03:58 PM
The remaining risk/hurdles might look something like this : http://www.thedomains.com/2012/05/23/generic-idn-gets-hit-with-a-udrp-cabanas-com/
Hotels.com and Cars.com face the same risks so i am not sure this can be a risk that is unique to idn's, also if it's the only risk left it doesn't sound that bad.

chrisofmel
23rd May 2012, 05:36 PM
risk/hurdles? how about email being one

23rd May 2012, 06:14 PM
That and the current 'hybrid' situation which would make email ugly even if it would work. Also there's the overall universal acceptance issue as well which makes 3 'problems'.

It's basically someone having an opportunity to gain an advantage over the competition but they will choose not to get that advantage since it is not a big enough advantage.

In other words with the 3 problems idn's currently have, they also currently have numerous advantages which are not in conflict with the problems current and if you look at the situation regarding the problems it will become clear all 3 are temporary so the advantage can only grow or if you assume worst remain same.

I think IDN's value to a business are extremely important just like a good ASCII name can make a business but let's assume worst and say IDN only gives a 0.1% advantage over every other Chinese/Russian company that wants to sell a specific product/service online. Any idea how would one get that advantage other then by securing the IDN.com which is the category killer of that industry?

Then if you try estimating what's a 0.1% advantage in a market like China,Russia of a major industry is worth i think the remaining current temporary problems would be the least of your concerns.

- Hybrid problem (50% Cyrillic with extension 50% still latin) we know is solved and we also know the worst case time it should be in the root.
- Email problem, some can argue they found a solution and tested and it works (e.g afilias did that with Arabic at minimum, send/receive) but even what is not yet done i think will surely be in 3 years at most.
- Universal acceptance will never be perfect just like not all computers are good with flash or any other formats but it is clear that it is and can only continue to get better with more companies and individuals that daily weekly and yearly will continue fixing small and big bugs to insure idns are viewed properly.

Nothing i wrote is because we want it to be but only because this is where things are imo, looking for more contradicting opinions, 'theory killers' or whatever you can find in order to explain how idn's aren't going exactly where ascii.com went?

squirrel
23rd May 2012, 06:44 PM
how do you guys feel about waiting 3 more years for IDN.IDN

alpha
23rd May 2012, 06:47 PM

the only way I can see a 3 year delay is if Verisign do this

http://www.gsstars.com/images/archery%20fail.jpg

is that what you were hinting at?

squirrel
23rd May 2012, 06:53 PM
the only way I can see a 3 year delay is if Verisign do this

http://www.gsstars.com/images/archery%20fail.jpg

is that what you were hinting at?

spot on sir

23rd May 2012, 07:02 PM
It's not like you walk out and opportunity like this jumps all over you daily or even yearly. It's once in a lifetime if you get that and some never get that once in a lifetime opportunity.

Interesting if those who bought in 2000 thought they would be waiting 12 years after.

If it would be 3 years longer then surely it would still be worth the wait but if we try and be realistic even with further still unknown delays i don't see how idn.idn won't resolve in the root 24 months from now and my guess is 12 months from now at most.

People sometimes plant a seed and sit on it for 20+ years for returns that we can get today from idn's. Take a domain that people here bought for $8 in 2005 or 2006 so they're in $100 on the domain at most at this point and can sell it for 7k usd today. What other investments give that type of % and we didn't even begin yet. The only other one i know is ASCII domains if you would have bought things like some here did in 2000 and even in 2005-2006 for registration fee.

Some who bought for registration fee early have already sold for not 7k but for sometimes more then 80k per name so really like everything else it's all about perspective and who/where/what is looking.

All this is just to pass boredom as it's nothing new, i often feel we are just wasting time repeating what as been discussed here before.

domainsell
23rd May 2012, 08:10 PM

Pure Idn.idn is the bonus for these names imho. I have been getting solid traffic to my generic idn.com's as they are right now for some time.
The trick for me is to figure out how to monetize it.

If you own Chocolate.com or whatever in whatever language, get together with the enduser, setup a commission deal for successful leads and start making $$ now.

These idn.com names are bringing in real eyeballs as they are right now. When they go pure idn it will just be a big bonus.
Best.

bwhhisc
24th May 2012, 02:36 AM

YOUUTUBE video about IDN email solution, these guys have been working on this for a while i think he same guy who took an interview at IDNNewsletter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDfdgHLoabM

bwhhisc
24th May 2012, 02:44 AM
More here from Afilias on their solution for IDN email, but guess until it is an adopted standard the idn wait continues.

http://www.afilias.info/idnemail

Avtal
24th May 2012, 03:01 AM

For my Georgian domains, 3 years would be a best-case scenario.

Avtal

Clotho
24th May 2012, 05:40 AM
It's not like you walk out and opportunity like this jumps all over you daily or even yearly. It's once in a lifetime if you get that and some never get that once in a lifetime opportunity.

Interesting if those who bought in 2000 thought they would be waiting 12 years after.

At the very beginning I never would have thought that it would take this long. At some point in 2002 or so it did become apparent that it was going to take a long while. It was clear that nothing was going to happen until Internet Explorer adopted the standard.

alpha
24th May 2012, 08:26 AM
For my Georgian domains, 3 years would be a best-case scenario.

Avtal

why would you hold on to them. why not dump them, and throw a little $ after a language that has more chance of being early?

Ryu
24th May 2012, 08:55 AM
- Universal acceptance will never be perfect just like not all computers are good with flash or any other formats but it is clear that it is and can only continue to get better with more companies and individuals that daily weekly and yearly will continue fixing small and big bugs to insure idns are viewed properly.

I think this "universal acceptance" issue or the accessibility problem has always been and will continue to be the major problem with IDNs. I saw a lot of Japanese who got put off by the accessibility problem. You are right that more companies and individuals are fixing this issue every day but at the same time, we see new platforms and technologies are joining Internet and often they are not IDN compatible at the onset.

JamesD
24th May 2012, 09:01 AM
I confused Japanese and Devanagari but regardless i think we will likely also see Devanagari as another applied for and if that's the case we still don't know what other 4 they have applied for (+1 ascii string total 12 applied for strings based on recent investors call)

Thai? (he says hopefully).

alpha
24th May 2012, 09:01 AM
I think this "universal acceptance" issue or the accessibility problem has always been and will continue to be the major problem with IDNs. I saw a lot of Japanese who got put off by the accessibility problem. You are right that more companies and individuals are fixing this issue every day but at the same time, we see new platforms and technologies are joining Internet and often they are not IDN compatible at the onset.

Very true.
However it once was just a half baked idn.ascii that had compliant issues that could be ignored, soon there will be approx ~200 new idn gtld extns screaming for things to work properly.

Call me naïve but I'm expecting this to shake things up a bit

Ryu
24th May 2012, 09:05 AM

I wouldn't call you naive. In fact I am expecting the effect from new IDN gtlds more than the actual introduction.

Avtal
24th May 2012, 12:38 PM
why would you hold on to them. why not dump them, and throw a little $ after a language that has more chance of being early?

Diversification. Try a bunch of things, and (after a 5 year wait) see what works.

Avtal

blackpower
24th May 2012, 01:13 PM
Diversification. Try a bunch of things, and (after a 5 year wait) see what works.

Avtal

Certain things will never work no matter what:yes:

Avtal
24th May 2012, 01:34 PM
Certain things will never work no matter what:yes:

Quote from Warren Buffet:

“Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing.”

That would be me.

Avtal

IdnHost
24th May 2012, 01:36 PM

“Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing.”

That would be me.

Avtal

wise words, i think most members here can in someway relate lol

TrafficDomainer
24th May 2012, 02:53 PM
Thai? (he says hopefully).

I personally think the other unknown 6 are Thai and Hindi/Devanagari (.com) and Chinese, Japanese, Russian and Arabic (.net)

Rubber Duck
24th May 2012, 03:47 PM
Very true.
However it once was just a half baked idn.ascii that had compliant issues that could be ignored, soon there will be approx ~200 new idn gtld extns screaming for things to work properly.

We don't really know how many for sure. The likes of Melbourne IT could have taken another 1000 orders whilst ICANN have been picking their butt.

Drewbert
24th May 2012, 10:18 PM

That guy is such a jerk. He gets special privileges that allow him to make money easier than Joe Blow Investor then acts as though it's only his "expertise" that got him where he is today.

Wide diversification is REQUIRED to protect yourself fully from unknown unexpected events. He's acting like he knows exactly what's going to happen all the time.

Anyone who knew that could own every asset in the entire world, in the long term.

TrafficDomainer
24th May 2012, 11:26 PM
That guy is such a jerk. He gets special privileges that allow him to make money easier than Joe Blow Investor then acts as though it's only his "expertise" that got him where he is today.

Wide diversification is REQUIRED to protect yourself fully from unknown unexpected events. He's acting like he knows exactly what's going to happen all the time.

Anyone who knew that could own every asset in the entire world, in the long term.

Yeah, Buffet gets more inside information more than anyone else. Zuckerberg had a long chat with Buffet before the IPO but he declined to buy any of Facebook`s shares:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/warren-buffett-advised-mark-zuckerberg-wont-buy-facebook-shares/12610

sbe18
25th May 2012, 12:44 AM
Each language is going to be peculiar for idn.com/ idn.idn branding.

example: I think that Japan and Korea idn.com / idn.idn as a dual gtld vs idn.jp / idn.idn as a dual cctld is likely to be indifference.

Lack of fear of their own governments is advantageous to owners of the idn gtlds and the idn cctlds.

Russia....who knows ? the internal registrar self dealing for the cctld's

but China is the riddle:

idn.com / idn. idn gtlds's (com/biz/net/org...) will be important as the hedge against political risk with owning the dot cn / cctld's.

Often, members here only discuss their successes and not their mistakes.

I have made over a hundred dot cn/ IDN.cn mistakes.

And now I am comfortable to own just 4 IDN.cn's , as they match 4 important idn.com's.

With regard to the many many many of the IDN dot cn's that I have dropped.
I am simply glad that the 39 dollar relief allows me to buy 5 hand regged IDN's in other languages that I was not covering in 2006 etc...

I think 2 word Latin IDN.com's with proper accents for highly searched 2 word / keyword searches will achieve significant end user interest over the next few years.

Interest and valuations for IDN.de and accurate IDN.com German domains have been growing despite the incompetances at Sedo.

2006, I thought the 2008 Olympics in China would be the real launch of IDN. cn's .

I was wrong then.
And it took me 4 years to engine leak, my IDN.cn portfolio .

But it has made me, all the more, a firm and optimistic investor in Chinese IDN.com's .

After being attacked a dozen times on other forums, as an RD moonie, I just have zoned out and decided to simply wait.

Watching the new gtld launch/ hold/ and re-launch over the last month...
I just want to see CNN or BBC coverage when ICANN lifts the kimono next month.

And all the blathering IT and internet experts will holler horror, and pull their hair over nothing.

the dot wine vs the dot vino bitch slap fight should be a fun one....

s/

Drewbert
25th May 2012, 01:03 AM
And all the blathering IT and internet experts will holler horror, and pull their hair over nothing.

Hmmm. I have enough trouble even REMEMBERING there's a .coop and .museum (having NEVER actually seen/visited a website on those gTLD's.

Are they going to batch these ~1000+ newGTLD's into the root on a (say) weekly basisi, or are they going to trickle them in a few at a time as they are approved?

the dot wine vs the dot vino bitch slap fight should be a fun one....

s/

I've got Alpha standing by with my new popcorn GIF.