PDA

View Full Version : NameDrive Revenue Drop

jose
24th May 2006, 07:39 PM
It's just me or the last 3 days revenues from clicks went from .10 and .11 to .02 and .03! WTF?!

touchring
24th May 2006, 08:38 PM
It's just me or the last 3 days revenues from clicks went from .10 and .11 to .02 and .03! WTF?!

My average dropped from 12 cents last month to 7 cents this mth (my traffic is >60% europe)!! Traffic from some indexed domains dropped 60-80%. :-(

The only consolation is that total revenue maintained with revenue from new domains.

g
24th May 2006, 09:11 PM
yes the same here

dropped from 0.12-0.20 last month to 0.06 and 0.04 now

But I started with them in april

how long you have been using them?

touchring
24th May 2006, 09:22 PM
I started in mid-march.

I suspect that the drop is caused by Google downgrading revenue for Arabic, and maybe Russian - my Russian portfolio is too small to be representative though. European PPC fell only marginally.

But surprisingly, CTR increased from previous month, but not enough to offset the fall in PPC. :-(

I'm now depending on other languages to pull up my total PPC.

blastfromthepast
24th May 2006, 10:22 PM
Same old low PPC in Russian.

burnsinternet
25th May 2006, 12:27 AM
Mine is 20% Russian and the PPC drop is huge across the board - all my categories. Russian gets 90% of my clicks, for what it's worth to the group.

touchring
25th May 2006, 04:56 AM
So the trend is confirmed. How long have you guys parked your name?

Rubber Duck
25th May 2006, 07:59 AM
It is only logical that payments for Russian are very low. There are very few Adwords, so the bid price will be very low also.

Until recently the situation in China and even Japan was very similar. Both of these now get Google Adwords in Spades, as does Thai.

There is still very little in Arabic and none in the Indic scripts.

Google seems to be capable of turning market around very quickly when it focuses on them, but it has serious competition with Yandex.

touchring
26th May 2006, 10:32 AM
Has anyone noticed that the subject column sometimes remove accents after saving? Some English words and French/Spanish differ only by a accent and i thought having the accent will serve ads in the correct language.

Explorer
26th May 2006, 12:34 PM
For the last few days I've noticed a lot of clicks are coming from North America. For example, the number of clicks jumped yesterday, but 35% of them were from NA. I thought the bot has been eliminated. Are those legit clicks? Is traffic increasing? We need some clarification.

touchring
26th May 2006, 01:19 PM
For the last few days I've noticed a lot of clicks are coming from North America. For example, the number of clicks jumped yesterday, but 35% of them were from NA. I thought the bot has been eliminated. Are those legit clicks? Is traffic increasing? We need some clarification.

Yes, i got about 10% increment in overall views, 50% increment in north american views, but they mostly target only japanese (especially) and arabic.

BTW, are you still maintaining your 9 cents average PPC (updated stats) ? ? Mine has dropped to 6 cents.

Explorer
26th May 2006, 01:30 PM
Yes, i got about 10% increment in overall views, 50% increment in north american views, but they mostly target only japanese (especially) and arabic.

BTW, are you still maintaining your 9 cents average PPC (updated stats) ? ? Mine has dropped to 6 cents.

It did drop to 6-7 cents, but I am much more interested in the number of clicks per day, so the new clicks from NA are very confusing, since we can't tell if number of legit clicks is increasing over time, staying flat or going down.

thefabfive
26th May 2006, 01:31 PM
I got about 80% increase in clicks yesterday with around 50% of the excess being NA clicks. Most of the NA clicks were on Russian domains.

From what I've seen it appears the Google and other search engine spiders come around just before the end of the month. A few days after that happens traffic increases somewhat. Last month was similar. Traffic number stayed at the increased level after last month's jump. Hopefully the trend continues.

Last seven days shows $0.073 average PPC compared to $0.104 for the first seven days of May.

touchring
26th May 2006, 01:41 PM
First 7 days of may, i got 9 cents average PPC, i'm now down to 6 cents.

One day's stats is not enough to see the trend, we have to wait at least 1 week and then take the average.

It will be more effective to compare the past 7 days with the 1st week of May. I also checked the 3rd week of April, PPC is 14 cents! So there's a downward trend.

dabsi
26th May 2006, 04:56 PM
No problem with Sedo.

In Germany, people have also shifted their portfolio from Sedo to ND, and are now VERY VERY frustrated......

It's not a Google problem since our direct parking with Google is very stable.

DABSI

touchring
26th May 2006, 05:21 PM
No problem with Sedo.

In Germany, people have also shifted their portfolio from Sedo to ND, and are now VERY VERY frustrated......

DABSI

Well, maybe Ed has some explanation work to do.

Rubber Duck
26th May 2006, 05:31 PM
No problem with Sedo.

DABSI

Yes, Sedo has looked after the Germans very well. Well, as far as I am concerned that is where they will have to make their living, as the rest of the World has been led up and down the Garden Path by Sedo. To my trade they will have to be paying demonstrably more than all other parking services by a significant margin.

burnsinternet
26th May 2006, 06:02 PM
Has anyone noticed that the subject column sometimes remove accents after saving? Some English words and French/Spanish differ only by a accent and i thought having the accent will serve ads in the correct language.

Yes, unpredictable and annoying.

Rubber Duck
26th May 2006, 06:06 PM
Yes, unpredictable and annoying.

You think! You should try Sedo, and they still don't support half the languages!

burnsinternet
26th May 2006, 06:40 PM
I just moved everything except ASCII and Portuguese to NameDrive this week (I moved my Spanish and French over, that is). I was testing ND with all but English, Spanish, Portuguese, and French. I only got traffic and clicks on my Russian IDNs. Nothing to Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, or anything else until today (Japanese got traffic) when I moved over my French and Spanish. Anyway, I like ND MUCH better! I am just getting used to it.

Added - My Arabic just got some views in the past few minutes - one each. Either bots or IDNers is my guess.

NameDriver
29th May 2006, 09:23 AM
Hi guys,

It's been quite some time since I've posted here as there hasn't been much movement for us on the IDN front.
However, I just wanted to touch on this as it is something that has come up before. If you have a lot of clicks from North America (normally 1 view and 1 click) which then resolve to $0.02 clicks, then it is because of a click bot on the system While we do everything we can to stop bots, we have to react retroactively for this kind of click bot. With several hundred thousand clicks to manage every day, it is tricky to keep an eye out for this kind of activity which affects about 0.05% of our daily clicks.

On the other front, we have some very good news coming in the next 7 days. If anyone would like to contact me about Arabic, Korean or Chinese translations, I'd be delighted to hear from you :)

Ed

mulligan
29th May 2006, 09:35 AM
Ed, you have gone multilingual?
I have a huge list you can have a look at and see if my translations are right...:p

On the other front, we have some very good news coming in the next 7 days. If anyone would like to contact me about Arabic, Korean or Chinese translations, I'd be delighted to hear from you :)

Ed
Whats the good news, we could do with some. Have you decided to give us a 1% stake maybe?

touchring
29th May 2006, 09:37 AM
Hi guys,

It's been quite some time since I've posted here as there hasn't been much movement for us on the IDN front.
However, I just wanted to touch on this as it is something that has come up before. If you have a lot of clicks from North America (normally 1 view and 1 click) which then resolve to $0.02 clicks, then it is because of a click bot on the system While we do everything we can to stop bots, we have to react retroactively for this kind of click bot. With several hundred thousand clicks to manage every day, it is tricky to keep an eye out for this kind of activity which affects about 0.05% of our daily clicks.

Ed

I think all of us already know about the 2 cents bot clicks. What we are puzzled with is the drastic drop in PPC a few weeks after listing.

Drewbert
29th May 2006, 07:03 PM
Ed,

One thing that would be REALLY handy (for me anyway) would be the addition of a "notes" text field in the listing so we can add an english description of what the domain means. This will be especially useful once you convert the keyword field so it takes keywords in the native scripts.

NameDriver
30th May 2006, 11:12 AM
Hi guys,

It's a bit frustrating to see the PPC drop and it's hard to really clarify it, especially as PPC has been strong recently on the system. It is baffling to see what Google are doing with this kind of advertising. Hopefully, once it gets established, things will be more settled. It could be to combat click fraud, to encourage more people to jump on board etc.

As far as a comment is concerned, I think it would be difficutl to integrate in the current set up as, you may have noticed, our settings page is already pretty full. We could easily add it so that you can add a coment on the domain details page (this is when you click on 'settings' / folder name / domain name. I suppose if you put a comment on that page, then a little icon could come up next to the domain and, when you roll over it, the comment is shown. Hmm, that's an interesting idea, I'll have a chat with tech about it, however we do have a couple of other things in line before this. I don't think implementation would be difficult though.

Anyone fancy a bit of Korean, Arabic, Chinese or Russian translation :) Only takes 15 mins.

Ed

blastfromthepast
30th May 2006, 12:00 PM
Anyone fancy a bit of Korean, Arabic, Chinese or Russian translation :) Only takes 15 mins.

Ed

PM Sent Re: Russian Translation.

jose
30th May 2006, 03:32 PM
I started this post, so it's my duty to update it on the status of my PPC revenue.

Indeed when I posted this, revenue had gone south. I noticed this immediately because my usual daily income was drastically reduced.

However, in the last couple of days, revenue is back to normal if not even better then before. :)

Drewbert
30th May 2006, 04:04 PM
>If anyone would like to contact me about Arabic, Korean or Chinese translations, I'd be
>delighted to hear from you

Just to clear something up here, I think Ed wants someone to do some English->Arabic (etc) translation - not translating your domains into English!

Rubber Duck
30th May 2006, 04:24 PM
Sedo.com now taking IDN for parking including Russian and Arabic. Any takers?

mulligan
30th May 2006, 04:37 PM
>If anyone would like to contact me about Arabic, Korean or Chinese translations, I'd be
>delighted to hear from you

Just to clear something up here, I think Ed wants someone to do some English->Arabic (etc) translation - not translating your domains into English!

And I thought he was offering to translate all our names for us! *sigh*

idn
30th May 2006, 04:45 PM

Since when? Native ads?

sarcle
30th May 2006, 04:50 PM

Sedo can come here and discuss this with us. As far as I'm concerned they have pushed us aside and not been upfront with us. They know about our forum and haven't been here once to chat with us. That to me proves they are not serious in the least about IDN. They announce this on DNforum without coming here first. That just pisses me off.

jose
30th May 2006, 05:57 PM
sarcle: I agree 100%.

People / companies ought to get *only* the attention they *deserve*.
Not more, not less.

SEDO: earn our trust first. Any little effort is better than zero.

touchring
31st May 2006, 01:13 PM
Another problem for ND which we've not mentioned is the frequent "page not found" for parked names.

I think i've encountered this several times and need to reload 4-5 times in order to get to the parking page!

Has anyone here got a similar experience?

touchring
1st June 2006, 09:33 PM
Ed,

One thing that would be REALLY handy (for me anyway) would be the addition of a "notes" text field in the listing so we can add an english description of what the domain means. This will be especially useful once you convert the keyword field so it takes keywords in the native scripts.

Another point to add, it will be good if the portfolio search supports idn unicode. Now, we have to convert to punycode everytime we want to search.