PDA

View Full Version : What will happen in 8 days?

4th June 2012, 09:44 PM
What do you expect that will happen once the list is public? Do you expect this to change the current market view/traffic and inquiry quantities? Maybe some feel only when idn.idn will be in the root anything will move forward?

chrisofmel
4th June 2012, 10:03 PM
What do you expect that will happen once the list is public? Do you expect this to change the current market view/traffic and inquiry quantities? Maybe some feel only when idn.idn will be in the root anything will move forward?

we will not see anything noticeable or measurable except congratulation's and talks of "champagne wishes and caviar dreams." on this forum.

4th June 2012, 10:07 PM
we will not see anything noticeable or measurable except congratulation's and talks of "champagne wishes and caviar dreams." on this forum.When do you expect natives to begin showing real interest? When it is in the root or not even then?

Rubber Duck
4th June 2012, 10:22 PM
What will happen in 8 days?

ICANN will fuck up big time. Again!

jose
4th June 2012, 10:39 PM
What will happen in 8 days?

It will be Monday again.

What I mean is that people behavior will not be changed by a decree. (unless forced, but it doesn't apply here)

With "people" I mean domain investors, end users developing or regular people.

It will be a slow process.

chrisofmel
5th June 2012, 03:36 AM
When do you expect natives to begin showing real interest? When it is in the root or not even then?

yes i don't expect much until it is in the root. and even then i think it will be a slow go.

NameYourself
5th June 2012, 04:15 AM
yes i don't expect much until it is in the root. and even then i think it will be a slow go.

Agree.

Not much to speak of until close to launch time.

ASCII .com market - Not very much change
ASCII other tlds .biz .info... - Decrease
IDN .com market - Slight increase

I believe the mainstream .com market is pretty resilient. It has withstood the introduction of countless tlds after years and years .info, .biz, .mobi and so on. That could shift over time if prices for new TLD applications make it so that almost every company can own one but this would likely be a long way away given that the current price tag is hundreds of thousands plus all sorts of regulation requirements to run one.

It should be expected that there will be a shifting away from domainers already investing in these alternate extensions. The "other" market like .mobi, .biz, .info, will probably see a decrease as believers in these other extensions invest their money in the new ones as they are released. What usually happens with these launches is that they create a lot of buzz and sales for the first year.. after that, there is a historical decline.

In the IDN.com market I think there will be a slow increase in the languages like chinese, japanese, russian, that verisign plans to run as native .com. This interest will probably just be within the idn community, with a few others coming on board slowly over time as IDNs begin to show up in search engines and sell more regularly.

sbe18
5th June 2012, 06:56 AM
my opinions only...

I think the US business press will carry a lot of stories about the dot brands.

the online blogs/ tech press will do the dot brand hand clapping but harp on the dot sucks, lol, asshat -type name submissions.

I think the FT, Economist, Aussie, HK, many EU zone , and India press will cover the dot brands and the IDN announcements straight up.

June 14th/15th when the IP lawsuits vs ICANN come out, and the US Congress hearings for the film/TV/music industries will the start of the 2nd circus.

relative to markets....no change until items are in the root.

relative to Verisign and IDNers...at least confirmation of what 12 markets are now
unambiguous.

I need to shed the 'Moonie' moniker.

I need to prepare for the 2012 Stonehenge Silly walk races for the Olympiad...

sbe18
5th June 2012, 07:04 AM
one more strange prediction.. I think that there will be a few dozen Latin IDN gtld's.

example:

cologne/ Koln with umlaut as a variant.
German submissions exceeding the total from Spain/France/Italy/ Scandinavia etc..

I think the native language/ regional press on these submissions will be very very positive.

Drewbert
5th June 2012, 08:08 AM

That's the day the traffic starts to ramp up and non-English Internet noobs will type full domain names in cyrillic, etc and they will get live websites and won't think it's anything special, it's what they expect to happen.

Rubber Duck
5th June 2012, 08:26 AM
That's the day the traffic starts to ramp up and non-English Internet noobs will type full domain names in cyrillic, etc and they will get live websites and won't think it's anything special, it's what they expect to happen.

Except much of the time they won't because the translits will generally be unregistered but blocked.