PDA

View Full Version : Parking company advance preparation for IDN TLD's

Drewbert
11th June 2012, 11:41 PM
I think it's important that parking companies are ready to go for when Verisign's .com translits go live in the root:

The parking companies could build an automated process (giving Russian as an example here).

10 Go through entire domain portfolio one name at a time...

20 Is it a .com?

30 no? goto 10

40 Does it have cyrillic characters?

50 no? goto 10

60 Create an extra entry in the portfolio (in a subfolder called ".ком") with .ком as the TLD instead of .com and assign the same settings as the .com entry had.

70 goto 10

Have I missed anything?

I certainly want duplicated entires for all my .ком domains in my Parking Co accounts BEFORE .ком goes live in the root because if they're not ready in advance, I'll be losing traffic and revenue, and it's much more efficient for them to automate the process at their end rather than force us to do it manually or upload thousands of new entries and try to duplicate the settings on them all!

bumblebee man
12th June 2012, 07:39 AM
They won't be ready in advance.

I'm already looking forward to Sedo's error message:

This is multilingual gibberish. Please enter a regular domain name.

blastfromthepast
12th June 2012, 07:46 AM
Really?!

mulligan
12th June 2012, 12:10 PM
Oh yeah .. Im with you on this one

I think it's important that parking companies are ready to go for when Verisign's .com translits go live in the root:

The parking companies could build an automated process (giving Russian as an example here).

10 Go through entire domain portfolio one name at a time...

20 Is it a .com?

30 no? goto 10

40 Does it have cyrillic characters?

50 no? goto 10

60 Create an extra entry in the portfolio (in a subfolder called ".ком") with .ком as the TLD instead of .com and assign the same settings as the .com entry had.

70 goto 10

Have I missed anything?

I certainly want duplicated entires for all my .ком domains in my Parking Co accounts BEFORE .ком goes live in the root because if they're not ready in advance, I'll be losing traffic and revenue, and it's much more efficient for them to automate the process at their end rather than force us to do it manually or upload thousands of new entries and try to duplicate the settings on them all!

squirrel
12th June 2012, 01:58 PM
Aliasing looks like it will be optional.

I guess you'll have to do this process yourself and submit your .kom to the parking co as if they were new domains

Drewbert
12th June 2012, 09:55 PM
There's no harm in them duplicating all your names into sub-folders, even if you never use them.

This allows you to take-up the IDNgTLD versions of your names in your own time - assuming there is a charge to do each one and people won't be able to enable all of their portfolio in one whack. That way you only have to do stuff at the Registrar rather than having to do it at the parking company as well.

Assuming there IS a charge, I'll be converting over the guaranteed traffic/money spinners immediately, then using the 1st months revenue from those to convert the sleepers.