PDA

View Full Version : Is there a market for IDN.com IDN.cn in China yet?

Wot
12th June 2012, 08:33 AM
Is there a market for IDN.com IDN.cn in China yet? Is the question I asked of a wealthy well established domainer in China.

His answer: idn. has no market in China

alpha
12th June 2012, 08:42 AM
Is there a market for IDN.com IDN.cn in China yet? Is the question I asked of a wealthy well established domainer in China.

His answer: idn. has no market in China

So I assume this guru is another know-nothing ascii domainer with a vested interest in nothing else taking a grip in China except numeric domains and pinyin

blastfromthepast
12th June 2012, 09:01 AM
If there was a major market (place), we would have heard about it. Right?

Wot
12th June 2012, 09:02 AM
So I assume this guru is another know-nothing ascii domainer with a vested interest in nothing else taking a grip in China except numeric domains and pinyin

It's possible.

He is a buyer of ascii but he is not the first Chinese domainer that has given the same answer.

And I know many Chinese in business there who have simply never heard of IDN.

Hopefully that will be changing in the not too distant future.

alpha
12th June 2012, 09:32 AM
It's possible.

He is a buyer of ascii but he is not the first Chinese domainer that has given the same answer.

And I know many Chinese in business there who have simply never heard of IDN.

Hopefully that will be changing in the not too distant future.

To be fair, right now there is no measurable market; so if that is what he is saying, then he's right.

but what these gurus usually say, is there is no market, and with a blinkered view or a jaded view (because of their vested interests) they dismiss any future where there is a market - that's very different to there is no market right now.

Drewbert
12th June 2012, 10:26 AM
He wants to be right because his stockpile of 4 digit domain names plummets in value the moment he's wrong.

squirrel
12th June 2012, 02:10 PM
He wants to be right because his stockpile of 4 digit domain names plummets in value the moment he's wrong.

Exactly. Any domain investor from china who invested in "local appeal" domain has pinyin and digits domains. By definition IDNs is a threat to these kind of domains. Look at the inventory on display at 4.cn

To me his answer is equivalent to that of the "legacy" Russian domain investors.

mgrohan
12th June 2012, 02:26 PM
Whether they are speaking to 'protect' there own interests or not, it is worrying that with 中文域名.中国 in the root and available for a couple of years, together with the support/use from government departments AND national media (TV news and newspaper) coverage, that IDNs have pretty much not progressed at all in this period. If any thing i have noticed less usage of IDNs in China. Can;t really see what Chinese--IDN.com is going to bring to the table.

However they are finally catching onto and realising the SEO benefit of using generic domain names, so maybe there is hope. My expectations aren't too high though..

squirrel
12th June 2012, 02:30 PM
At the moment what is the first choice for a domain to use in an Ad campaign or for SEO ?

welkin
12th June 2012, 04:24 PM
When international companies start advertising idn.idn in China, local companies will follow.