PDA

View Full Version : Market for IDN?

Wot
23rd June 2012, 01:27 AM
Contentious question I know,but where better to ask, is there actually much of a market for IDN apart from the penny auctions here and the occasional Shandong.com (Is that a good buy now or not)?

Do you see it "happening" in the near future,distant future or what?

What languages are likely to be prominent? Japanese,Hindi,Russian?

blastfromthepast
23rd June 2012, 05:26 AM
Chinese.

monkmonkey
23rd June 2012, 07:48 AM
I believe IDNs now are where acaii domains were in 1994. In 1994 only investors saw the potential in domains.

Shandong was one hell of a deal. Guaranteed to be worth billions in 10 years :tongue2:

Wot
23rd June 2012, 08:02 AM
I believe IDNs now are where acaii domains were in 1994. In 1994 only investors saw the potential in domains.

Shandong was one hell of a deal. Guaranteed to be worth billions in 10 years :tongue2:

Many billions. :)

sbe18
23rd June 2012, 08:33 AM
Opinion only...

I don't think type in traffic will hockey stick, so I don't believe that parking revenues will spike.

I do think that navigation from search engines to sites built out with regular content or ecommerce will grow really fast now for all languages.

My bias with investmests has been Chinese to date.

But I view the short term valuations and rewards to be for domains in

Russian, Arabic, and Japanese in that order...

I think Arabic is the leader for ecommerce because the dot com will beat 23 cctld's.

s/

Drewbert
23rd June 2012, 11:37 AM
Opinion only...

I don't think type in traffic will hockey stick, so I don't believe that parking revenues will spike.

How did you determine that.

I believe the opposite. I think traffic is going to explode when .ком goes live.

alpha
23rd June 2012, 04:11 PM
How did you determine that.

I believe the opposite. I think traffic is going to explode when .ком goes live.

I'd love you to be right, but I think the opposite.
There is no type in traffic. The traffic is coming from auto complete. So ком going live will not add a multiplier to that traffic source, hence we'll see no impact.

jose
23rd June 2012, 04:55 PM
I believe IDNs now are where acaii domains were in 1994.

I remember 1994 very well. I founded a company on that year to do web pages. Unfortunately, and despite being a success, I lost interest, go figure...

1994 was the beginning of the web. Can't compare. We live in a global village now, we all - well, most of us - evolve together.

blastfromthepast
23rd June 2012, 10:58 PM
There is no type in traffic.

There is typein traffic. But the kind of domains that get typin traffic are not those that get auto-complete traffic.

23rd June 2012, 11:13 PM

Hard to say where we are now.

NEWYORK.com was still free to reg in 1995 i think but i doubt that you could register a similiar IDN City Geo now. LasVegas.com was created 1997 according to WHOIS.
a few others:

media - 1991
loans - 1994
hotel - 1997

Not sure if the data is correct maybe these are drops? but it is quite amazing what could have been registered 1997.

The whois for bank.com says: creation date 12-Dec-1998 i think this the time i first got internet access

I still remember around 2000/01 looking up domains to find potential ones to invest in but i never bought one since i felt that the good ones were already taken. One or two years earlier i had the same idea but never tried it since i was told the good names were already gone and one could not possibly make any money with this.

I hope i will not make the same mistake again.

monkmonkey
23rd June 2012, 11:56 PM

NEWYORK.com was still free to reg in 1995 i think but i doubt that you could register a similiar IDN City Geo now. LasVegas.com was created 1997 according to WHOIS.
a few others:

media - 1991
loans - 1994
hotel - 1997

Now that I think about it, I don't believe anyone can compare acaii domains from back in the day to IDNs today. People didn't realize the future value of a LasVegas or hotel.com, so creation date doesn't matter. Now that the value is realized, IDNs would be registered much earlier in comparison than hotel.com. Since hotel was registered in 1997 that would make the IDN version registered in 1991 since people are more aware of domain value. Thats just my meaningless 2 cents.

jose
24th June 2012, 12:01 AM

a few others:

media - 1991
loans - 1994
hotel - 1997

Not sure if the data is correct maybe these are drops? but it is quite amazing what could have been registered 1997.

The whois for bank.com says: creation date 12-Dec-1998 i think this the time i first got internet access

I still remember around 2000/01 looking up domains to find potential ones to invest in but i never bought one since i felt that the good ones were already taken. One or two years earlier i had the same idea but never tried it since i was told the good names were already gone and one could not possibly make any money with this.

I hope i will not make the same mistake again.

All drops. I know because I was already interested on domain names at the time, and bought a lot of them for a company I worked at the time.

24th June 2012, 12:03 AM
Now that I think about it, I don't believe anyone can compare acaii domains from back in the day to IDNs today. People didn't realize the future value of a LasVegas or hotel.com, so creation date doesn't matter. Now that the value is realized, IDNs would be registered much earlier in comparison than hotel.com. Since hotel was registered in 1997 that would make the IDN version registered in 1991 since people are more aware of domain value. Thats just my meaningless 2 cents.

The speculators in IDN have more knowledge than the ascii investors in the ninties. No one knew where the internet would go and which names would be valuable.

But i think you could be right in terms of end-user sales. Maybe they could be compared to 1994..

Wot
24th June 2012, 12:26 AM
So, is there currently a market for IDN other than the penny auctions?

I did sell a Thai portfolio for a mutually acceptable price but zero interest on what I thought was a better Russian portfolio.

blackpower
24th June 2012, 12:35 AM
So, is there currently a market for IDN other than the penny auctions?

I did sell a Thai portfolio for a mutually acceptable price but zero interest on what I thought was a better Russian portfolio.

there is a market (if you are talking about russians) but the domains that are valuable for Russia are not the same that are/were valuable for US. Every country has its own market

24th June 2012, 12:54 AM
there is a market (if you are talking about russians) but the domains that are valuable for Russia are not the same that are/were valuable for US. Every country has its own market

what domains are valuable for russians?

Drewbert
24th June 2012, 01:01 AM
There is no type in traffic. The traffic is coming from auto complete. So ком going live will not add a multiplier to that traffic source, hence we'll see no impact.

The bet is 1 can of redbull then?

blackpower
24th June 2012, 01:05 AM
well, it's only my opinion...
you have to see what is the most profitable business in Russia and sort of look at the near future.
Russia does not produce anything; the last 20 years of "reforms" they have destroyed all their industries inherited from soviet union and now live off natural resources, mainly gas and oil. You can feel it especially comparing to avalanche of chinese goods everywhere
There is/will be market but one needs to make adjustments to the nature of russian economy;

Wot
24th June 2012, 01:49 AM

The ones I had on offer included solar energy,tablet computers, cloud computing, touch screen,ebook, geos.

Are the Russians that different?

blackpower
24th June 2012, 01:58 AM
The ones I had on offer included solar energy,tablet computers, cloud computing, touch screen,ebook, geos.

Are the Russians that different?

short answer is yes.
if you had names of credit/bank products, construction materials or real estate-in short, what are most profitable industries.. .
look at .rf auctions last year and domains that were taken or reserved during sunrise period
but again, that depeds of who is the buyer, a russian or a foreigner
for example two word combos in russian are considered better with hifen, did you know?
I am of the opinion also that one should not venture into an idn market without being FULLY proficient/ bilingual in those languages.

Wot
24th June 2012, 02:18 AM
Yes, I did know about hyphens a few of the names I have include this. http://www.idnforums.com/forums/31733-russian-portfolio-%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F-%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B3%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0-com-solar-energy-etc.html

I guess you mean the .рф auctions? I believe the names I have are taken by natives in .рф, some were sunrise applications.

blackpower
24th June 2012, 02:29 AM
i think there will be a good market for com/org in Russian. .RF is doing fine and .ru translits really look horrible; but we need to make some local sales;

alexd
24th June 2012, 07:24 AM
i think there will be a good market for com/org in Russian. .RF is doing fine and .ru translits really look horrible; but we need to make some local sales;

So are you saying that its better to have the .org of a domain rather than the .net when it comes to Russian IDNs ?

blackpower
24th June 2012, 07:27 AM
.nets are mute for now, no?
besides .org looks/sounds very organic in russian, I am sure it will be succsessful there