PDA

View Full Version : ICANN Beijing - April 7 to 12 ,2013

27th June 2012, 07:44 PM
I believe that this is when/by then we will see IDN Transliterations of existing gTLD's in the root. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57459624-93/china-gets-nod-from-icann-for-2013-confab/

chrisofmel
27th June 2012, 08:23 PM
I believe that this is when/by then we will see IDN Transliterations of existing gTLD's in the root. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57459624-93/china-gets-nod-from-icann-for-2013-confab/

i hope your right, but i am not that optimistic

27th June 2012, 08:29 PM
I am not sure what kind of delay is still possible at the current point specifically for non controversial strings that the only one who applied for them is the existing registry.

Before the 13th of June plenty of things could lead to a delay but no so much after imo.

On the same note you are right and if anyone cares about that several including myself on this forum gave optimistic predictions when it comes to timing.

It's good the only missing piece of the puzzle is now timing, 6-10 years ago it was not even looking like a puzzle.

DktoInc
27th June 2012, 08:37 PM
I am not sure what kind of delay is still possible at the current point specifically for non controversial strings that the only one who applied for them is the existing registry.

Before the 13th of June plenty of things could lead to a delay but no so much after imo.

looks like all the pieces are falling in the right place. even the death of batching seems to be a good thing. gonna be a quick task from now on imo.

Drewbert
28th June 2012, 01:01 AM
The Guidebook is the main document to check.

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/agb/guidebook-full-04jun12-en.pdf

It states straightforward application will take 9 months, with complicated ones stretching out to 20 months. Page 1-15 onwards.

ALthough GAC have warned that they might take more time than ICANN allowed for for posting early warnings, etc, so they may be the spanner in the works.

But as GAC can make their own rules regarding which applications they deem more urgent, I think they might look at IDN and GEO applications before trademark ones, and send an early communication to ICANN that certain applications have been cleared by GAC and may proceed to the next step.

Rubber Duck
28th June 2012, 06:19 AM

On the same note you are right and if anyone cares about that several including myself on this forum gave optimistic predictions when it comes to timing.

It's good the only missing piece of the puzzle is now timing, 6-10 years ago it was not even looking like a puzzle.

Dog ate their homework?

Don't underestimate these guys. They can be very creative!

Drewbert
28th June 2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah but $10 says they try to get some IDN newGTLD's into the root just before or at the Beijing meeting.