PDA

View Full Version : Consolidated Sales Threads

idn
5th July 2012, 07:16 PM
If you are listing 10+ domains for sale per week does each domain need its own thread?

Makes the forum rather cluttered. Just my two cents. Thoughts?

Jay
5th July 2012, 07:43 PM
I thought there was a rule about the maximum number of sales threads from a single seller per week, but I just checked the rules and there isn't. I'd say a maximum quota for each seller of three sales/auction threads per week would be about right. That way every seller would have a fair go at getting their thread some exposure on the recent sales list, because at the moment they are getting pushed off by the serial sellers, which is annoying both for the other sellers and for members looking for sales from the non-flippers.

Rubber Duck
5th July 2012, 07:44 PM
It is also a dumb fuck way of doing it, as activity on any one of the domains on the tread bumps all of them.

Multiple domain threads have proven their selves time and time again.

Ben
5th July 2012, 10:28 PM
There is already a maximum of 2 threads per 24 hours. Maybe change it to 1?

bumblebee man
5th July 2012, 11:10 PM
at the moment they are getting pushed off by the serial sellers, which is annoying both for the other sellers and for members looking for sales from the non-flippers.

I agree. Mass bumping is annoying as well. Do we really need all those "48 hours", "24 hours", "12 hours" updates? Quite often there's more bumps than bids.

bwhhisc
5th July 2012, 11:34 PM
I agree. Mass bumping is annoying as well. Do we really need all those "48 hours", "24 hours", "12 hours" updates? Quite ofter there's more bumps than bids.

Feel free to offer any ammendments to the Sales Rules posted on the sticky in the Sales area.

idn
5th July 2012, 11:59 PM
I agree. Mass bumping is annoying as well. Do we really need all those "48 hours", "24 hours", "12 hours" updates? Quite often there's more bumps than bids.

I agree and I am guilty of it myself, but this would not happen as much if there was not so many single domain sales threads popping up. It's the old what came first the chicken or the egg argument.

Personally I would like to see two sales threads per week per user with as many domains as they want to sell in those two threads. That said, probably way too much work for the moderators.

bwhhisc
6th July 2012, 12:04 AM
Personally I would like to see two sales threads per week per user with as many domains as they want to sell in those two threads. That said, probably way too much work for the moderators.

Bring it on. There are at least 9 Moderators/Admins here, a few are incognito ;)

jose
6th July 2012, 12:09 AM
idn: two sales threads per week is ideal for the forum or for you?

bumblebee man
6th July 2012, 12:12 AM
Personally I would like to see two sales threads per week per user with as many domains as they want to sell in those two threads.

That sounds like a very good idea.

idn
6th July 2012, 01:27 AM
idn: two sales threads per week is ideal for the forum or for you?

"Personally I would like to see two sales threads per week per user..."

I really can't speak for anyone else.

jose
6th July 2012, 01:35 AM
That sounds like a very good idea.

I think everyone agrees with this except me, as I am the only one who sales more than 2 domains/week. :-D But I am ok with whatever the majority decides.

idn
6th July 2012, 01:43 AM
I think everyone agrees with this except me, as I am the only one who sales more than 2 domains/week. :-D But I am ok with whatever the majority decides.

You could still sell way more than 2 domains per week. Just less threads. I actually think you would have more exposure and would probably do better. And it is not just you...I am sure I have had more than two threads in the past.

If you look at page 1 of the IDN Auctions section the last post at the bottom is 4:30 AM (EST). Basically if you listed your domain more than 17 hours or so ago you are already on page 2.

Jay
6th July 2012, 08:26 AM
Personally I would like to see two sales threads per week per user with as many domains as they want to sell in those two threads

+1

As for the bumps, I reckon one should be allowed.

Ben
6th July 2012, 09:12 AM
Why not have a maximum number of active sales threads, like NamePros does? So if you have the maximum number running already you can't start another until one of them is closed.

Rubber Duck
6th July 2012, 12:02 PM
Why not have a maximum number of active sales threads, like NamePros does? So if you have the maximum number running already you can't start another until one of them is closed.

I think the answer as to why that is a bad idea is the question.

idn
6th July 2012, 08:42 PM
~48h

basel
7th July 2012, 12:52 AM
really namepros.com is better in this

you can add two sales thread but you need to close thread once you want to make new thread plus 24 hours rule

i never see bump at namepros with this rule
each thread should closed with domain owner to add new one

you didnt understand idn , the problem is not with 2 threads per 24 hours
the problem that if today i make 2 threads and tomorrow 2 threads so i can bump 4 threads next day

so the best is 24 hours rules with no new thread until you closed your thread

idn
7th July 2012, 01:01 AM
you didnt understand idn , the problem is not with 2 threads per 24 hours
the problem that if today i make 2 threads and tomorrow 2 threads so i can bump 4 threads next day

No, I don't think you understand.

I said "I would like to see two sales threads per week per user with as many domains as they want to sell in those two threads."

Never said anything about 24 hours...

glow
7th July 2012, 02:52 AM
I'm ok with 1 domain per thread if it's well described in thread title such as
IDN / Translate / Language / punycode (optional in thread title but must be indicated in offer details)

Ben
7th July 2012, 09:23 AM
I'm ok with 1 domain per thread if it's well described in thread title such as
IDN / Translate / Language / punycode (optional in thread title but must be indicated in offer details)

The rules (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/3980-basic-forum-posting-rules-%7C-%E8%AE%BA%E5%9D%9B%E5%8F%91%E5%B8%96%E5%AE%88%E5%88%99%E5%92%8C%E7%A4%BC%E8%B2%8C-%7C-%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%B0-%D1%84%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%83%D0%BC%D0%B0.html) do say: "Auction thread title should have the following format: [translation].ext, Language(s), Descriptive proclamation of sale
Example; [domain name].net, Russian, starts at $500
In case of multiple domains, please list at least one domain in the title."

Wot
7th July 2012, 11:04 AM

It works well.

Jay
7th July 2012, 04:45 PM

One of the reasons that rule doesn't sound fair to me is that some auctions can go on for weeks, and that's not something 100% under the control of the seller (although not setting bid increments at $1 can help speed up auctions!). So a seller might be prevented from posting a sale for quite some time under that rule, if I understand it correctly.

blastfromthepast
7th July 2012, 06:06 PM
I'd prefer things stay as they are.

idn
7th July 2012, 08:34 PM
I'd prefer things stay as they are.

I am sure lots of members feel this way. If you are not an active buyer or seller you are probably indifferent.

Jay
7th July 2012, 09:11 PM
As both an active buyer and seller I would say the situation has become ridiculous. It's reached a point where I'm holding off putting up domains up for sale until some decent rules are put in place.

Mind you it has only deteriorated like this in the last few weeks, but as more people get active in selling, it's only going to get worse I reckon.

bwhhisc
7th July 2012, 09:37 PM
As both an active buyer and seller I would say the situation has become ridiculous. It's reached a point where I'm holding off putting up domains up for sale until some decent rules are put in place.

Mind you it has only deteriorated like this in the last few weeks, but as more people get active in selling, it's only going to get worse I reckon.

Feel free to propose any ammendments to the Sales Rules.

We went thru this exercise a year or two ago and updated and ammended the existing sales rules, and the current 'sticky' in the IDN Domain Sales area was the outcome.

Now that we have more sales threads etc we are open to making changes to better serve all members.

Jay
7th July 2012, 09:50 PM
Feel free to propose any ammendments to the Sales Rules.

Well one group of us are agreed that we limit the number of new sales threads per member per week (to maybe two) and also the number of bumps (to maybe one or none). Another group wants to limit the number of active sale threads like on Namepros. Another group thinks nothing should change. Do we put it to a poll?

bwhhisc
8th July 2012, 04:44 AM
Well one group of us are agreed that we limit the number of new sales threads per member per week (to maybe two) and also the number of bumps (to maybe one or none). Another group wants to limit the number of active sale threads like on Namepros. Another group thinks nothing should change. Do we put it to a poll?

I notice that NP and DNF has lots more catagories for sales, would adding a catagory or two help segment out the market?

IDNF basiclly has 4 catagories- IDN for Sale, IDN for Auction, IDN Wanted and ASCII Domains.

NP offers at least 13 Catagories of sale, DNF at least 20+ catagories. These were fairly common ones:
-All Domains For Sale
-High Priced Domains
-Domain Brokerage
-Domains For Sale - Fixed Price- $100 and up
-Domains For Sale - Fixed Price- less than $100
-Domains For Sale - Make Offer
-Domain Name Bargain Bin Domain names priced $20 or less
-Domain Names with Traffic Stats
-Domains For Sale - Auctions
-ccTLD Domains For Sale
-IDN Domains For Sale
-.MOBI Marketplace
-Domain Names Wanted
-Adult Domains
and more ie. Canadian .ca, Australian .au, Numeric domains, 4 Character domains, ....

Jay
8th July 2012, 06:50 AM
I think breaking up the sales into language categories could be good.

But another concern is the problem now of getting exposure on the recent sales list (the default home page) to promote your sale, which is not an issue at Namepros. The recent sales list is being flooded by multiple posts and bumps by the same members.

IMO the best way to deal with it is to limit sales threads per members per week.

We could also break up the sales into language categories as well - Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Other. That will help members search for the particular languages they are interested in. But I'm not sure how that will work with consolidated sales threads?

bwhhisc
8th July 2012, 01:09 PM
But another concern is the problem now of getting exposure on the recent sales list (the default home page) to promote your sale, which is not an issue at Namepros.

Why is that not an issue at Namepros? Don't you only see 1, that being the (latest) thread on the homepage?

Jay
8th July 2012, 01:29 PM
Why is that not an issue at Namepros? Don't you only see 1, that being the (latest) thread on the homepage?

Yeah they have a list of categories and the latest post, like we do when you land on the page at idnforums.com/forums/. But the first thing that I see (and probably many other members) when first logging on here is the recent sales page at idnforums.com/. Namepros don't have this, but instead have a sidebar with latest posts on the right next to the categories, which I think looks crap.

idn
9th July 2012, 07:13 PM
So, are we considering some changes or end of discussion? Just trying to get a feel here...

For a point of reference I listed a Japanese dot com thread a few days ago. Received a couple bids out of the gates, but within hours it was already on page 2 because of thread bumps and new single domain sales threads. Soon as I bumped the thread hours before some of the domains were ending I received several new bids. In other words, many people missed the thread all together.

I am surely not going to make a big deal either way, but in its current state I am rather selective as to what I list for auction.

Jay
10th July 2012, 08:43 AM
Well you have my vote for a change, but I'm not an administrator or mod so I can't do a thing.

htmlindex
10th July 2012, 09:18 AM
For a point of reference I listed a Japanese dot com thread a few days ago. Received a couple bids out of the gates, but within hours it was already on page 2 because of thread bumps and new single domain sales threads. Soon as I bumped the thread hours before some of the domains were ending I received several new bids. In other words, many people missed the thread all together.

It's really not too difficult for people who are truly serious in buying names to scroll through the whole of the 1st page & onto the 2nd page to view all these threads to see what names are of interest to them. I know that I do this when I'm buying...

bumblebee man
10th July 2012, 09:30 AM
Well you have my vote for a change, but I'm not an administrator or mod so I can't do a thing.

+1

So how about a poll?

jose
12th July 2012, 03:20 PM
I think some changes are already in place: one thread every 24h now. (at least for me)

bwhhisc
12th July 2012, 03:51 PM
What seems to be the consensus to be the best idea or change that would make the process better?

yanni
12th July 2012, 05:33 PM
You can always charge a fee for a listing to appear on the front page, and charge extra for every bump post.
Or, charge a fee for every sales/auction thread.

This should bring the chatter down or some funds to the forum for hosting costs and such.

Jay
12th July 2012, 06:35 PM
A maximum of three new sales threads per week, one bump per thread. Simple.

tee1
12th July 2012, 08:16 PM
I checked a couple of hours ago and 5 of the 10 posts were bumps (that came after a bump) so no bid or inquiry they were just getting bumped. instead of limiting sales threads why don't we try limiting bumps???? Personally I like sales threads, gives me something to do, gives me ideas, ect I don't like limiting the sales thread, just bumps. jmo, I am open to what the masses want though :)

tee1
12th July 2012, 08:21 PM
You can always charge a fee for a listing to appear on the front page, and charge extra for every bump post.
Or, charge a fee for every sales/auction thread.

This should bring the chatter down or some funds to the forum for hosting costs and such.

good idea and if we limit bumps/posts they could always buy a "sticky" those are currently in place. although then we might have to limit the # of stickys or base the # on whether the member is a "premium" member or not.

ideas/thoughts???

Ben
12th July 2012, 10:12 PM
I checked a couple of hours ago and 5 of the 10 posts were bumps (that came after a bump) so no bid or inquiry they were just getting bumped. instead of limiting sales threads why don't we try limiting bumps???? Personally I like sales threads, gives me something to do, gives me ideas, ect I don't like limiting the sales thread, just bumps. jmo, I am open to what the masses want though :)

How about just no double posting? So you can't bump twice in a row without any bids in between.

Personally though, I think things are fine as is. Haven't noticed any problems.

bumblebee man
12th July 2012, 10:43 PM
How about just no double posting? So you can't bump twice in a row without any bids in between.

That would be useful. Auctions with no bids don't need to be bumped 3 times. This is annoying as hell.

Personally though, I think things are fine as is. Haven't noticed any problems.

:-D

jose
13th July 2012, 01:06 AM
edited

mgrohan
13th July 2012, 02:57 AM
Hard to manage in it's current forum format imo. Are there no auction addons for VB?

Would be best to program a separate form specifically for auction threads where you input starting time, bin, reserve, ends after, etc. into the db.

That way you could generate an 'auctions ending soon' or 'auctions ending in 24 hours' section/box on the main page. Showing time the auction will finishing and current price.

Then you could ban bumping altogether, and have a much more usable auction format for the website.

alexd
13th July 2012, 07:02 AM

How about limiting each sales thread to ONE bump only ??? Seller can choose when to place their bump - and then that is it - no more !! Like others, I get a little sick of all the 48 hours, 24 hours, 12 hours, 2 hours, 36 minutes, 43 seconds bumping all the time !!

One bump per sales thread - that should be simple enough to manage. People who bump more than once in their sales thread get banned from posting sales for a week - and also get their forum/profile image changed to something highly rude and offensive !!

DktoInc
13th July 2012, 07:07 AM
and also get their forum/profile image changed to something highly rude and offensive !!

MMMMMulligan