PDA

View Full Version : Names Parked at Bodis being forwarded (Hijacked Parked Page?)

TrafficDomainer
15th July 2012, 06:59 PM
I noticed that for the past 3 months or so, my parked revenue from Bodis has been going down, so today I randomly checked some of my domains that historically generated higher revenue and found that 8 of my IDNs are being forwarded to 109.206.160.213 which in turn forward me to other random sites. Has anyone else experienced this?

PS: IE forwards me to random sites when entering any of my 8 domains into the URL. Howerver, both Chrome and Firefox warned of "attacked/malware pages"

I looked at a few of my IDNS with this issue and it appears that the revenue from these domains have been around $0 since March. Anyone else experiencing this?

idn
15th July 2012, 07:04 PM
I noticed that for the past 3 months or so, my parked revenue from Bodis has been going down, so today I randomly checked some of my domains that historically generated higher revenue and found that 8 of my IDNs are being forwarded to 109.206.160.213 which in turn forward me to other random sites. Has anyone else experienced this?

PS: IE forwards me to random sites when entering any of my 8 domains into the URL. Howerver, both Chrome and Firefox warned of "attacked/malware pages"

I looked at a few of my IDNS with this issue and it appears that the revenue from these domains have been around $0 since March. Anyone else experiencing this?

My guess is that the domains are blocked and it is secondary source of revenue.

TrafficDomainer
15th July 2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks Mark. This is very strange, these domains are all generic domains. Anywhere on Bodis control panel to check if a domain is blocked?

I have also sent Matt @ Bodis an enquiry about this and will report back once I hear from him.

Fka200
15th July 2012, 07:43 PM
Not hijacked, just banned. For verification, use this link. If primary, you're good. If secondary... :'(

https://api.bodis.com/domainclassification?domain=[YOURDOMAINHERE]

TrafficDomainer
15th July 2012, 08:57 PM
Not hijacked, just banned. For verification, use this link. If primary, you're good. If secondary... :'(

https://api.bodis.com/domainclassification?domain=[YOURDOMAINHERE]

Thanks FKA. Yeah these IDNs verified as secondary through the link you provided. Who are they banned by? Google? So no point moving the domains elsewhere?

Any idea what are the criteria used for banning IDNs? These are all pure generic non-adult domains.

Thanks!

squirrel
15th July 2012, 09:04 PM
I dont want to blame anyone, but could there be that the parking co mishandled your traffic or anything like that ? Because really the parking co is our agent for dealing with G and the secondary networks, and now your domains are done with the G feed -forever as far as I can tell- a pretty big blunder.

bwhhisc
15th July 2012, 09:32 PM
I dont want to blame anyone, but could there be that the parking co mishandled your traffic or anything like that ? Because really the parking co is our agent for dealing with G and the secondary networks, and now your domains are done with the G feed -forever as far as I can tell- a pretty big blunder.

I have seen the same thing and wondering too.

I have same issue with about 10 names, i check them at Namedrive where you can find them all on one list. A few of them were $20+ per month earners and a few were fresh regs, so maybe they were previously registered and already blacklisted.

Is there any appeal process with google?? Some are totally generic like Arabic "billiards.com" but this one is on the 'banned' list. Another ascii name Sports2014.com is blacklisted too, can't figure why.

squirrel
15th July 2012, 09:40 PM
Is there any appeal process with google?? .

Yes but it almost never succeeds, also I dont think that you can do it yourself. The parking co has to do it for you, but I dont think they understand IDNs enough to take the lead in that process. The namedrive rep that discussed the blacklisting a few weeks ago didnt even mention it so...

Jay
15th July 2012, 09:52 PM
The namedrive rep that discussed the blacklisting a few weeks ago didnt even mention it so...

He took a long list of IDNs to Google, but unfortunately they only unblocked a few (none of mine unfortunately). Apparently Google said the review was a once-off and they won't do it again.

Basically if your name is blocked, you can kiss your parking revenue from it goodbye.

TrafficDomainer
15th July 2012, 09:55 PM
I have seen the same thing and wondering too.

I have same issue with about 10 names, i check them at Namedrive were they have them on one list. A few of them were $20+ per month earners and a few were fresh regs, so maybe they were previously registered and already blacklisted.

Is there any appeal process with google?? Some are totally generic like Arabic "billiards.com" but on the 'banned' list. Another ascii name Sports2014.com is blacklisted too, can't figure why.

Yeah, some of the domains that I got banned were relatively higher earners too, $XX per month. Thanks Squirrel for your thought. Yeah I don't want to blame anyone without any evidence either but what are the things the parking co might have done in mishandling the traffic leading the domains to being banned? If they were inappropriately banned, I would hope that the parking co can still talk to Google to remove them from the blacklist.

squirrel
15th July 2012, 10:02 PM
He took a long list of IDNs to Google, but unfortunately they only unblocked a few (none of mine unfortunately). Apparently Google said the review was a once-off and they won't do it again.

Basically if your name is blocked, you can kiss your parking revenue from it goodbye.

I stand corrected. Thanks

squirrel
15th July 2012, 10:14 PM
Yeah, some of the domains that I got banned were relatively higher earners too, $XX per month. Thanks Squirrel for your thought. Yeah I don't want to blame anyone without any evidence either but what are the things the parking co might have done in mishandling the traffic leading the domains to being banned? If they were inappropriately banned, I would hope that the parking co can still talk to Google to unban them.

Well parking cos have to filter the traffic they send to Google. So if Google is unhappy with the traffic, its one of two things A) part or all the traffic was junk -or at least not to Googles liking- in this case the parking co didnt do its job in filtering out the garbage B) the traffic is good and its a false positive at Google's end, in which case If this happens repeatedly, the parking co should be doing something instead of watching their clients perfectly generic domains get blacklisted. Otherwise theyre just admitting to letting theyre clients property get greatly diminished.

Avtal
15th July 2012, 10:42 PM

I'm starting to like the idea of mini-sites. At least you have more control over the contents. If I understand correctly, they were something of a fad 6-8 years ago. Why did they fall out of favor?

Avtal

bwhhisc
15th July 2012, 10:54 PM
I'm starting to like the idea of mini-sites. At least you have more control over the contents. If I understand correctly, they were something of a fad 6-8 years ago. Why did they fall out of favor? Avtal

But wouldn't you have same trouble with google blocking ads to that domain?

Drewbert
15th July 2012, 11:54 PM
Is there any appeal process with google??

A ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

TrafficDomainer
16th July 2012, 12:19 AM
But wouldn't you have same trouble with google blocking ads to that domain?

I believe google adsense for contents is considered a different product from adsense for parked domains. If so, then even if your domain is blacklisted as a parked domain, it should still display contextual adsense for contents if you were to develop your domain right? If so, what's the most efficient and cost effective way to come up with a 10-page website for each of your domain, Wordpress?

domainguru
16th July 2012, 02:05 AM
I'm starting to like the idea of mini-sites. At least you have more control over the contents. If I understand correctly, they were something of a fad 6-8 years ago. Why did they fall out of favor?

Avtal

Because (a) the work involved to produce / host / maintain them, (b) the CTR drops to 2-3% instead of the 10% to 20% you get with parked domains, and (c) the increase in traffic (if any) rarely makes up for the drop in CTR, let alone all the work involved.

There's a reason they went "out of fashion".

domainguru
16th July 2012, 02:09 AM
And you've got a cat in hell's chance of getting blocked names unblocked. As for why they are blocked, even the people you talk to at Google don't know because the banning comes from an inner "spam" (for want of a better word) team.

If only there were alternatives ..... oh yeah, sorry there is, sell domains to end users. If you are relying on parking for long-term prosperity, you are in the wrong game. ASCII domainers went through this process a good few years ago. Parking is a stop-gap, especially as it involves dealing with Google exclusively.

alpha
16th July 2012, 07:11 AM
I have same issue with about 10 names

lucky you.

50% of my Russian, 80% of my Arabic, 30% of my Chinese are blocked. in the "review" that ND did with Google, 5 of mine got unblocked, and ironically 3 of those were Adult terms, so there really is no pattern or logic to this blocking, you are at the mercy of the blindfolded Google monkey

http://keenetrial.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/dart-throwing-monkey.jpg

edit: there is definitely some language bias here, less than 0.1% of my Japanese is blocked

Rubber Duck
16th July 2012, 07:22 AM
lucky you.

50% of my Russian, 80% of my Arabic, 30% of my Chinese are blocked. in the "review" that ND did with Google, 5 of mine got unblocked, and ironically 3 of those were Adult terms, so there really is no pattern or logic to this blocking, you are at the mercy of the blindfolded Google monkey

edit: there is definitely some language bias here, less than 0.1% of my Japanese is blocked

Google cannot get enough Japanese Traffic.

Beats the hell out of me why they need to block. If the traffic is low grade then why not just pay peanuts?

Oh, I forgot they do!

domainguru
16th July 2012, 07:31 AM
lucky you.

"Adult" and "banned" domains are actually two separate categories. Adult domains are relatively easy to get moved to "non-adult". Banned domains are next to impossible to get unblocked.

Why ban Russian and Arabic but not Japanese? No idea really, but AFAIK, the main reason for bans is it happens for domains where clicks lead to very few actions i.e. the advertiser(s) complain(s), and Google just bans them. So that indicates either Russians and Arabic advertisers are more prone to complain, or simply more Russian / Arabic users prone to "randomly" click on stuff they have no intention of ever using or buying. Less "educated" users, you could say.

But like you say, only a few inner 'demons' at Google know the truth about this.

The worrying aspect is of course this appears to be happening more and more. Is the end of Google adverts on parked domain in sight? Who knows ....

Jay
16th July 2012, 08:15 AM
there really is no pattern or logic to this blocking, you are at the mercy of the blindfolded Google monkey

Do you know if the bans occurred close to each other or were they spread over time?

Fka200
16th July 2012, 08:52 AM
Do you know if the bans occurred close to each other or were they spread over time?

Spread, with my experience. I thought it was just me a couple months ago.

Jay
16th July 2012, 08:57 AM
Spread, with my experience. I thought it was just me a couple months ago.

I guess that just leaves us with it being Google penalising low quality traffic (which explains why they haven't targeted Japanese names).

I know my blocked domains are mostly high traffic, low CPC domains. Is that the same for others?

domainguru
16th July 2012, 09:35 AM
I guess that just leaves us with it being Google penalising low quality traffic (which explains why they haven't targeted Japanese names).

I know my blocked domains are mostly high traffic, low CPC domains. Is that the same for others?

Mostly high traffic, low CPC domains - but with exceptions. But the exceptions could be banned for other reasons e.g. drops where previous owner had got them banned for black-hat SEO or whatever.

And a couple are just pure "random" - normal names, not junk, normal traffic, i've owned them since day 0, gradually increasing traffic and income then bang - down to 0. No rhyme or reason, only wild guess is some idiot has clicked on them dozens of times ...... but if Google bans for that, eventually all domains will get banned. There are sufficient idiots round the world to make that a reality.

Jay
16th July 2012, 01:48 PM
Beats the hell out of me why they need to block. If the traffic is low grade then why not just pay peanuts?

Oh, I forgot they do!

I'm not sure if Google can adjust the CPC for each individual domain, or if they can it would probably require too much effort.

So what I'm guessing happens is that advertisers complain about the traffic not leading to sales, and Google then takes the easy option and blocks the offending domains.

alpha
16th July 2012, 02:24 PM

over a month or two for sure. But I've had nothing new added to the banned list for a while now. Parking is dying, G nailed their colors to the mast when they shut down AFD

squirrel
16th July 2012, 03:14 PM
Guys, irrespective of what google does or doesn't do, I think the main issue is that we are paying an agent to represent us in our dealings with G and that agent is -probably- screwing up big time with our property. And that's happening before that party has even started.

edit: or am I the only one to think that ?

alpha
16th July 2012, 03:47 PM
..or am I the only one to think that ?

no. it's a well known fact. parking providers have been screwing us for a long time.

or do you mean, they owe us and our property a duty of care? I don't see anyone here defending themselves, so I'd agree with that too.

Jay
16th July 2012, 03:54 PM
Guys, irrespective of what google does or doesn't do, I think the main issue is that we are paying an agent to represent us in our dealings with G and that agent is -probably- screwing up big time with our property.

Possibly, but I would think the parking companies are losing out in all this as well. The impression I get is that they have little clout over Google. Basically Google has everyone over a barrel at the moment, so they can pretty much do whatever they want.

The bottom line is, what alternatives are there apart from Google?

blastfromthepast
16th July 2012, 05:18 PM
if Google bans for that, eventually all domains will get banned

This is it.

16th July 2012, 05:34 PM
Why ban Russian and Arabic but not Japanese?

Maybe russian and arabic traffic doesn't convert well. I would make sense to me that japanese are wealthier more likely to buy stuff online more used to shop online.

If you look at russian CPC prices, it just disappointing. Japanese keywords have extremely high CPC..

16th July 2012, 05:56 PM
google has a history of banning publishers, advertisers and websites without warning if they feel they are somehow harmful to their business.

I know several people who either got their adwords or adsense account banned for life for minor violations or no violations. The bans were usually irreversible.

It wouldn't surprise me if their attitude towards domain parking is the same. Either you fit in their criteria of "quality" of their automated algos or they decide your are harming their business or lowering the quality of their products and ban you as long as they want. They are quite evil in that regard.

blackpower
16th July 2012, 06:06 PM

Not forever; I had parked about 200 domains with @#$##$ and after a month all 200 were banned by google; it took over two years to unban; a ban is not forever and can be lifted with some work

Jay
16th July 2012, 06:07 PM
a ban is not forever and can be lifted with some work

By doing what?

blackpower
16th July 2012, 06:13 PM
By doing what?

google says with making a good site ; to be fair to google, there is probably always a reason why they ban. many people have problems with them because anybody can point out sites that do same and DON'T get banned. well, they just have not been caught yet

16th July 2012, 06:26 PM
google says with making a good site

How can you make a parked domain a good site? All you can do is park it.

Also this doesn't make any sense to me. Why would Google want you to develop the domain so that it can be parked again later? or why do they believe developing it makes it better for parking later?

Jay
16th July 2012, 06:28 PM
google says with making a good site

Sure, that's a good strategy with one or two domains, but not with 20 or 30.

blackpower
16th July 2012, 06:39 PM
Sure, that's a good strategy with one or two domains, but not with 20 or 30.

I had about 200 domains banned at one point (because of the parking company, i believe) I put few wp sites on several, they were unbanned in 6-7 months; the rest i parked with sedo; for those it took a couple of years + to unban. but eventually ALL were unbanned. this is my experience with google ban

Jay
16th July 2012, 06:43 PM
I had about 200 domains banned at one point (because of the parking company, i believe) I put few wp sites on several, they were unbanned in 6-7 months

So what happens if you park them again?

blackpower
16th July 2012, 06:46 PM
So what happens if you park them again?

this is what i did... i parked them with another parking company (sedo) and after two-three years they were unbanned... not all at once, but after two years i noticed they started to unban one by one

Jay
16th July 2012, 07:04 PM
this is what i did... i parked them with another parking company (sedo) and after two-three years they were unbanned

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that you parked them 2-3 years after you developed them, or that they became unbanned 2-3 years after you parked them again? It sounds like you are saying they became unbanned 2-3 years after you parked them again, in which case developing them may not have been the factor.

Were there any names that you didn't develop that also became unbanned 2-3 years later when you parked them with Sedo?

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this (I don't want to waste time developing if it doesn't help).

blackpower
16th July 2012, 07:10 PM
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that you parked them 2-3 years after you developed them, or that they became unbanned 2-3 years after you parked them again? It sounds like you are saying they became unbanned 2-3 years after you parked them again, in which case developing them may not have been the factor.

Were there any names that you didn't develop that also became unbanned 2-3 years later when you parked them with Sedo?

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this (I don't want to waste time developing if it doesn't help).

sorry if i was not clear enough.
i did develop several domains(well, develop is big word :), just put up simple wp sites); those domains unbaned faster; in 6-8 months;
the rest of domains I transferred to park with sedo; after about two years they started to unban by themselves;
So in my experience, developing does work faster; but not necessary in principal to get out of jail;

Jay
16th July 2012, 07:24 PM
Nah, my mistake, it makes sense now that I read your earlier post.

JamesD
16th July 2012, 08:29 PM
If Google are getting a lot of unconverting traffic coming in, they'll look at where it's coming from and if IDNs are in there, they'll be an easy target to ban. I don't expect Goog to understand IDNs.
This is just my guess.

There is a solution on the way - one with nothing to do with Google.

Clotho
16th July 2012, 09:06 PM

I have a few hundred Japanese domains that say Google doesn't differentiate by country. They ban Japanese just like the rest (even English).

domainguru
17th July 2012, 12:58 PM
i did develop several domains(well, develop is big word :), just put up simple wp sites); those domains unbaned faster; in 6-8 months;
the rest of domains I transferred to park with sedo; after about two years they started to unban by themselves;
So in my experience, developing does work faster; but not necessary in principal to get out of jail;

Development can help, but if you develop then put back to parking, the SEO traffic from dev will eventually (possibly quickly) dissipate, and you'll be back to the old "low quality traffic" and the names will get banned again.

As for moving to Sedo and getting unbanned in a couple of years, well frankly, anything could have happened in those two years. The type-in traffic profile could have completely changed, the algorithms Google use completely changed. Two months is a long time in this game. Two years is too long to measure anything.

Be interesting to see from those with substantial number of ASCII names parked if any of those are banned and has the amount of banning increased the same as IDN banning appears to? I have some ASCIIs, but not so many now, none are banned, but I don't have enough to judge. Roughly 3% of my Thais are banned.

I'm not moving them to Sedo to get them unbanned. Rather have them banned than do that :-D

blackpower
17th July 2012, 01:01 PM
I'm not moving them to Sedo to get them unbanned. Rather have them banned than do that :-D

It seems we are having a consensus on this one

squirrel
17th July 2012, 06:39 PM
There is a solution on the way - one with nothing to do with Google.

Can you tell us where you are in the development stage. Do you need help ? If I can be of any help you can pm me.

JamesD
17th July 2012, 07:42 PM
Can you tell us where you are in the development stage. Do you need help ? If I can be of any help you can pm me.

Hoping to have the bones of a system this week - will keep you informed, and thanks for the offer - I may take you up on it!

domainguru
18th July 2012, 01:57 PM

Will this solution eventually be applicable to all IDNs? Or limited by category AND/OR country?

JamesD
18th July 2012, 08:31 PM
Will this solution eventually be applicable to all IDNs? Or limited by category AND/OR country?

It will be open to any that get type-in traffic.

After the beta test, we will start off by focusing on topics that traditionally command higher CPC and high advertiser competition but we will be able to take all type-in names.