PDA

View Full Version : german and cyrillic IDN's with hyphens

sbe18
21st July 2012, 05:20 AM
To those native and fluent etc...

Are German or Russian domains in IDN with 3 words
becoming more common with 2 hyphens ?

Again I ask this not for type in traffic reasons, but for branding and SEO purposes.

I have a potential partner in medical , health , and wellness sites.

Obviously if I can get the 3 word standalone... I will as well.

thx.

s/

blackpower
21st July 2012, 09:57 AM
To those native and fluent etc...

Again I ask this not for type in traffic reasons, but for branding and SEO purposes.

I have a potential partner in medical , health , and wellness sites.

Obviously if I can get the 3 word standalone... I will as well.

thx.

s/
Basically, when rf came to life, since than this discussion is going on... The more or less consensus now is that one better have both :)
Some prefer no hyphen, others champin forthem. In russian, hyphen looks very well; this is due to the fact that russian web naming have been very peculiar with translits etc...
I have both but use one with hyphen for branding and context ads.
Domain with hyphen are becoming more common even in Brazil where they have been following the US "no-no" policy for hyphen until now

Wot
21st July 2012, 11:12 AM
I own Hyp-hen.com

I suppose the question is why?

No idea,senior moment perhaps!

AWS
21st July 2012, 03:05 PM
In Germany its very common to use hyphens. Its OK to save all possible variants - for type in etc - but for marketing and branding i would use the hyphen version.

For germans lets-go-to-mall.com is much better then let letsgotothemall.com.

But beware of words who can/must put together! In german are a lot of cases where you have to put standalone words together to make sense.

Simple example:

Rotweinglas (Red wine glass)
rot.de (correct)
wein.de (correct)
glas.de (correct)
rotwein.de (correct)
weinglas.de (correct)
rotweinglas.de (correct)
rot-weinglas.de (wrong!)
rotwein-glas.de (wrong!)
rot-wein-glas.de (wrong!)

With IDNs the whole things gets much harder, because you have a lot more possible combinations.

For example see the word Fußballplätze (Football fields). As in the example above you have also the letter "ß", wich can also be written "ss" and the letter "ä" which can also be written "ae".

For total confusion take a short look at "Insurance Company". In german Insurance = Versicherung and Company = Firma, but VersicherungFirma.de and Versicherung-Firma.de are both wrong versions! You have to put a "s" in between to make it correct. With this "s" Versicherungsfirma.de becomes a correct but VERY UNCOMMON version. More common are Versicherungsgesellschaft.de, Versicherungsunternehmen.de or the short Versicherer.de.

So, you could say for slogans and sentences hyphens are great, but in every other case do a doublecheck and/or ask a native.

Just my 2 EUR-Cents ;)...
Hope this helps...

sbe18
21st July 2012, 09:32 PM
could you comment on the use of handy , handys, mobil , mobile, and mobilen ?

thanks...

Steve

22nd July 2012, 06:20 AM

I don't follow the german market but as a native speaker and from TV ad exposure i have the impression that hyphens in german (unlike english) are being used frequently not considered bad.

There are many examples where larger sites are using hyphens including government sites.

for example:

lidl-reisen.de (this means "lidl travel" lidl is a large german supermarket chain)
deutsche-bank.de largest bank in germany

I have seen a TV ad a few days ago for a hyphened name:

ab-in-den-urlaub.de (translates to something like: "(Go) Off in vacation" i think)

so having a hyphen name in german is pretty good.

as it has been said before you need to be careful since german does have many words which cannot stand alone.

could you comment on the use of handy , handys, mobil , mobile, and mobilen

i am not exactly sure what you want to know but mobilen cannot stand alone. the use of mobile is a bit more complicated as it has several meanings and is sometimes used as an english word as well.