PDA

View Full Version : dot.egypt(IDN) regulations

g
26th July 2012, 06:07 PM
http://www.dotmasr.eg/Files/GeneralPolicy.pdf

it is very confusing indeed about what to do with many typos and letters

anyhow , here is the beginning when arabic natives start to think and organize things about IDNs

for now rules (which may be changed or modified later as they say )!:

1. only arabic letters accepted
2. No space between words
3. minimum three letters
4. maximum 63 letters
5. dash is not accepted in beginning or end
6. double dash like (--) is not accepted
7. pronounciation symbols are not accepted
8. numbers are not accepted in beginning or end ( may be at the end later .. not now!)
9. it is accepted to register numbers only ( when you register arabic numbers you will be given a free registeration of english numbers as well)
10. when you register a word with the letter ى you will be given free registeration of the word with the letter ي

in the pdf file a list of accepted letters

regards
Gee

Rubber Duck
26th July 2012, 09:06 PM
Yeah, basically Punycode just got buried.

They have no intention to expose the general populus to anything but Unicode.

squirrel
26th July 2012, 09:19 PM
10. when you register a word with the letter ى you will be given free registeration of the word with the letter ي

thanks for posting Gee.

I thought ى and ي were distinct letters on the keyboard ("n" and "d" on a qwerty keyboard) ?

Rubber Duck
26th July 2012, 09:27 PM
thanks for posting Gee.

I thought ى and ي were distinct letters on the keyboard ("n" and "d" on a qwerty keyboard) ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yodh

squirrel
26th July 2012, 09:47 PM
thanks

sbe18
27th July 2012, 06:32 AM
thanks....

could you post a sample of a two word Arabic IDN where it is acceptable to have the 2 words with no spaces, and also to have the 2 words with a hyphen ?

thx
s/

Rubber Duck
27th July 2012, 07:57 AM
thanks....

could you post a sample of a two word Arabic IDN where it is acceptable to have the 2 words with no spaces, and also to have the 2 words with a hyphen ?

thx
s/

From memory it all boils down to Initial, Median, Final and Stand Alone forms of the Letters, which have separate Unicode Points. If you have a full set then no problem, but some letter only have a couple of different forms. If the Medial and Final forum of the last letter of the first word are the same then I believe it will merge into the second without showing the Initial Form of the second word. If the Final Form of the Final letter of the first word is distinct, then I believe you are in business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_alphabet

There are numerous characters in Arabic many of which are quite obscure. Take a look here:

http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl?start=1536

g
27th July 2012, 08:32 AM
Yeah, basically Punycode just got buried.

They have no intention to expose the general populus to anything but Unicode.

they always talk about punycode if I understand it right

they say IDN should have xn-- at the beginning as a latin code
ˆ

g
27th July 2012, 08:35 AM
thanks for posting Gee.

I agree and I think this is a mistake from them to consider two letters as one because they look almost the same !

the problem will be more difficult with real typos because with the current arabic keyboards typos are sometimes typed more often than the original word!

g
27th July 2012, 08:38 AM
thanks....

thx
s/

I think they have not discovered the sticking problem yet :-D

they are 10 years behind us ! :lol:

most of arabic words need dash to separate and without dash or space they will stick together and become unreadable

Drewbert
28th July 2012, 11:34 PM
they always talk about punycode if I understand it right

they say IDN should have xn-- at the beginning as a latin code
ˆ

Most of their rules are the standard rules for domain names.

double hyphen is reserved for special domains (like IDN's but for future "other" uses)

no front or rear hyphen is standard. etc etc.

starting with a number used to be a no-no.

Man
1st August 2012, 04:38 PM
I read them about two years ago... Still don't get them exactly. But,the point is when will be able to register these domains?

Still they're in phase one i think!

g
3rd August 2012, 05:14 AM
I read them about two years ago... Still don't get them exactly. But,the point is when will be able to register these domains?

Still they're in phase one i think!

And people complain because ICANN is slow !!

From our culture point of view ICANN looks impulsive and they rush into new things without taking enough time to think about it ))))) !!!