European Union 58 66 63
(Eurozone 29 45 37)
China 33 20 14
US 29 15 20
Russia 7 17 18

On that basis both Cold War Antagonists are now spent powers. :rolleyes:

Ryu
7th August 2012, 04:06 PM
On that basis, India would be behind North Korea. In fact, if we focus on the number of gold medals, North Korea is No. 11 or 12 in the world, well ahead of many so called "advanced nations," including us, Japan.

Why is Britain winning so many medals by the way? Are you guys good at sports?

idn
7th August 2012, 04:16 PM
Why is Britain winning so many medals by the way? Are you guys good at sports?

He's not from Britain, he's from the European Union as he mentioned in the first post. :)

Ryu
7th August 2012, 04:21 PM
He's not from Britain, he's from the European Union as he mentioned in the first post. :)

I know. But if we consider Britain as outside EU, it's still No.3 with the number of gold medals (20) and the same with the number all medals, together with Russia.

Rubber Duck
7th August 2012, 04:29 PM

All down to finance and the ability to manage it. Clearly under Obama the US has neither.

I drew the comparison with the EU purely because of the constant US battle to try to undermine Europe.

The Irony is that without Phelps, the US is going to struggle to compete with Italy, let alone the UK. Although to be fair comparisons with Spain, Portugal, Greece and Ireland are favourable.

idn
7th August 2012, 04:39 PM
The Irony is that without Phelps, the US is going to struggle to compete with Italy, let alone the UK. Although to be fair comparisons with Spain, Portugal, Greece and Ireland are favourable.

Without the US, you'd probably only have a 1000 or so posts. With us, you are the top poster!

Rubber Duck
7th August 2012, 04:47 PM
Without the US, you'd probably only have a 1000 or so posts. With us, you are the top poster!

Maybe, but if you strip out the medals awarded in the Swimming Pool, the US is actually trailing the UK.

I cannot see them repeating a 30 Medal tally in Rio. Australians are seriously pissed, and the one thing they have is swimming pools. Chinese are coming on strongly as well, although comparing Lochte to a girl was probably a bit harsh.

squirrel
7th August 2012, 05:00 PM
Being from Montreal I say we should wait for the revised medal count, post ADA ;)

bwhhisc
7th August 2012, 05:09 PM
Current standings:

European Union 58 66 63
(Eurozone 29 45 37)
China 33 20 14
US 29 15 20
Russia 7 17 18

On that basis both Cold War Antagonists are now spent powers. :rolleyes:

No changing the way 'we' measure.....speaking of is the US still working on adopting the metric system?

Speaking of measuring... how is the US proposal to increasing the size of the Soccer goal before the next World Cup coming?
High double digit soccer scores would certainly add the excitement. :lol:

Rubber Duck
7th August 2012, 07:09 PM
No changing the way 'we' measure.....speaking of is the US still working on adopting the metric system?

Speaking of measuring... how is the US proposal to increasing the size of the Soccer goal before the next World Cup coming?
High double digit soccer scores would certainly add the excitement. :lol:

No, that proves you just don't get it. It's all about the tension. The whole match hinges on a single goal. Most football fans find your high scoring sports boring.

Drewbert
8th August 2012, 12:54 AM
Yeah. Basketball? Just shoot me! Gaaaaaaaaaaaa.

On medal counts, I propose we go by a per-capita basis :)

Rubber Duck
8th August 2012, 07:55 AM
Yeah. Basketball? Just shoot me! Gaaaaaaaaaaaa.

On medal counts, I propose we go by a per-capita basis :)

In which case don't forget British Antartic Territory and the Camen Islands in the Team GB tally.

idn
8th August 2012, 06:29 PM
Maybe, but if you strip out the medals awarded in the Swimming Pool, the US is actually trailing the UK.

Remove cycling and rowing and GB has half as much.

The fact is you just hate the US.

Jay
8th August 2012, 06:36 PM
Australians are seriously pissed, and the one thing they have is swimming pools.

Yes, funny really, given we all live near the beach.

Rubber Duck
8th August 2012, 07:47 PM
Remove cycling and rowing and GB has half as much.

The fact is you just hate the US.

Yes, but still more than the US on a per capita basis.

What I hate is the total distortion of the World Markets achieved by pure bluff by the World's most screwed up economy.

Well that and and all the bullshit about freedom and democracy.

Rubber Duck
8th August 2012, 07:52 PM
Oh, and basketball!

Rubber Duck
8th August 2012, 07:57 PM
I could add Hollywood, Junk Food, Rap Music, abuse of patent laws and intrusive marketing.

bwhhisc
9th August 2012, 01:15 AM
Yes, funny really, given we all live near the beach.

The old joke is you gotta learn to swim faster than your friends in case you run into a big shark...

Jay
9th August 2012, 04:37 AM
The old joke is you gotta learn to swim faster than your friends in case you run into a big shark...

Haha. Yeah, we have plenty of big sharks around. The Aussie swimmers may have done better if the organisers had put some sharks in the pool. That would make for some exciting events - you lose, you get eaten!

alpha
9th August 2012, 07:20 AM
Remove cycling and rowing and GB has half as much

yeah not sure what it says about us as a sporting nation, we seem to only be excelling at the sitting down sports (rowing, cycling, bmx, that ponsey horse thing)

Rubber Duck
9th August 2012, 08:03 AM
yeah not sure what it says about us as a sporting nation, we seem to only be excelling at the sitting down sports (rowing, cycling, bmx, that ponsey horse thing)

That Ponsey Horse Thing is so that Aristocrats get their share of Medals.

In order for them to win, it has to be extremely expensive, not attract interest from sponsors, take all week to complete and not require any great physical or mental attributes. These is done at least in part by letting the bloody horse do all the work.

JamesD
9th August 2012, 08:36 AM
Hey, my daughter just won top prize at the annual Pony Club camp - second year running - and I'm not loaded...still paying off the horse! Mind you it's valued at nearly 2.5 times what it cost, not that I'd sell it...daughter would plot my demise.

sbe18
10th August 2012, 07:20 PM
is the Olympic stadium slated for cricket pitch conversion when this is over ???

Rubber Duck
10th August 2012, 09:02 PM
Premiership Football. There were bid tenders years ago but it was all very contentious and I am still not sure who won.

idn
10th August 2012, 09:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/nation-most-last-place-finishes-london-172255598--oly.html

Rubber Duck
11th August 2012, 08:47 AM
If one is brutally honest, the US and UK both benefit from genetic diversity, as a consequence of Empire, Immigration and the Slave Trade.

It is also arguable that Plantations consituted a form of Darwinian Selection, which has probably greatly enhanced the overall performance of not only the US but also much of the Caribean, and even Britain.

Of course Britain must take its fair share of the blame. But that should not detract from the glorious performance of the survivors of these injustices. Whether the nations themselves really deserve any of the credit is another matter.

Rubber Duck
13th August 2012, 07:34 AM
Final Analysis on who won the Power Play:

European Union 92 102 106 300
Eurozone 51 40 44 135
Former USSR 44 38 62 144
United States 46 29 29 104
China 38 27 22 87
India 0 2 4 6

So the Global Economic Super Power is Europe.
China has yet to eclipse the USA
but USA really hasn't even won the Cold War in terms of Olympic Success
And India is very much a Developing Nation.

Jay
13th August 2012, 08:15 AM
In terms of per capita, Hungary was by far the best performer at the Olympics among the top 10 nations. This is a country that economically is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Rubber Duck
13th August 2012, 08:30 AM
Hungary is forecast to run a deficit of 3% this year and 3.6% next year. Its total debt is 82% of its output.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17357626

Hungary’s government debt, the highest among the European Union’s eastern members, fell in the first quarter as the forint strengthened.

Debt dropped to 78.9 percent of gross domestic product at end-March from 80.6 percent at end-2011, the central bank said today in a quarterly report published on its website. Forint gains cut debt by 526 billion forint ($2.2 billion), it said.

After falling 16 percent in the second half of last year, Hungary’s currency rose 7 percent against the euro in the first three months of 2012 as investors bet the government will agree on an International Monetary Fund bailout to allay investor concern over economic policy and the budget.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-17/hungary-to-hold-eu-s-highest-interest-rate-on-imf-delay.html

Just another example how Wall Street's efforts to destabilise the currency of smaller countries to cover up its own mess is damaging the World Economy.

Seems as though Hungary is equal to the challenge and is fighting back.

Jay
13th August 2012, 09:58 AM
Seems as though Hungary is equal to the challenge and is fighting back.

I hope so. I've got a few Hungarian names (financial ones) that are doing about as well as their economy!

idn
13th August 2012, 02:30 PM
Final Analysis on who won the Power Play:

European Union 92 102 106 300
Eurozone 51 40 44 135
Former USSR 44 38 62 144
China 38 27 22 87
India 0 2 4 6

So the Global Economic Super Power is Europe.
China has yet to eclipse the USA
but USA really hasn't even won the Cold War in terms of Olympic Success
And India is very much a Developing Nation.

You sure you don't want to position it this way?

Rest of the World 256 273 273 802

Rubber Duck
13th August 2012, 02:51 PM
You sure you don't want to position it this way?

Rest of the World 256 273 273 802

Give us four years of Mitt Romney, and it could very well end up looking that way!