PDA

View Full Version : what IDNs can 50k buy today?

24th August 2012, 02:34 PM
I think may be able to spend 50k on IDNs or even a bit more within a year or two.

I wonder what 50k can buy me today's market and what return could be expected within 10 years (provided IDNs DO really take off)

If you had 50k to spend today what would you buy?

Personally i would like to go after the best names that i could be for that amount instead of investing in many different medium quality ones.

I think that mandarin names have the most potential and that is where i would like to invest. Maybe some in arabic, japanese or russian to diversify.

tee1
24th August 2012, 07:34 PM
Japanese .coms! However, I think many of the top terms in .com passed the 50k mark several years jmo. I would try and get a portfolio of Japanese names in .com in a target niche, financial terms. The reason Japanese .com is no cctld to compete so far and the .net was not applied for. Just me rambling. :)

IdnHost
24th August 2012, 07:52 PM
what 50K will get you now, and what it'l get you within the next year or two is a completely different story, assuming Icann proceedes with the program. So its hard to say at the moment.

Rubber Duck
24th August 2012, 10:15 PM
what 50K will get you now, and what it'l get you within the next year or two is a completely different story, assuming Icann proceedes with the program. So its hard to say at the moment.

Yes, if you are going to stick cash on the table, now is the time.

Otherwise, you can will spend your life on namepros reminicing about what might have been.

Course, alternatively you could always give to to JP Morgan to invest in some Facebook shares.

bwhhisc
25th August 2012, 01:31 AM
If you had 50k to spend today what would you buy?

1) Diversify languages- 50-60% Chinese/Japanese and .com, or .jp, .cn too risky IMO. 40% Others.
2) Any German idns you can get at good market price.
3) Geo Domains and City Domains with population of 250k and up in Japanese, 1mm and up in China and India. Also any big cities in Arabic, Thai, Vietnamese, Spanish, Portuguese.
4) Product domains- catagory defining keywords- all major languages.

sbe18
25th August 2012, 07:12 AM
everyone in IDN has their passions and theories discussed here.

My suggestion is to be passionate about 3 to 4 languages, and to be passionate about a set of vertical industries.

That way you will have a grid portfolio .

Secondly, develop one or two. The SEO and traffic issues pale to actually trying to see the business aspects of a great keyword generic.

Rubber Duck
25th August 2012, 10:03 AM
1) Diversify languages- 50-60% Chinese/Japanese and .com, or .jp, .cn too risky IMO. 40% Others.
3) Geo Domains and City Domains with population of 250k and up in Japanese, 1mm and up in China and India. Also any big cities in Arabic, Thai, Vietnamese, Spanish, Portuguese.

I would qualify that. Cities really need to be in their own language, unless they are World Class Tourist Destinations. Rome, Paris or London are fine in any language.

25th August 2012, 12:59 PM

sounds reasonable... thx

i agree that chinese, japanese is the most promising

blackpower
25th August 2012, 01:21 PM
edited

bwhhisc
25th August 2012, 03:30 PM
I would qualify that. Cities really need to be in their own language, unless they are World Class Tourist Destinations. Rome, Paris or London are fine in any language.

I think it might be easier to find "partners" to develop IDN city domains with as well, and certainly the content is easy to pull, and lots of advertising opportunities.

!

Rubber Duck
25th August 2012, 04:31 PM
sounds reasonable... thx

i agree that chinese, japanese is the most promising

Actually no. Arabic is the most promising.

blastfromthepast
25th August 2012, 05:31 PM
Rome, Paris or London are fine in any language.

Those are small cities in the big scheme of things.

Rubber Duck
25th August 2012, 05:41 PM
Those are small cities in the big scheme of things.

Not in International Tourism terms they are not.

http://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MasterCard_Global_Destination_Cities_Index_2012.pdf

Of corsemtheynare not "World Class" like Denver!