PDA

View Full Version : DNForum pulls the plug on IDN domain sales

yanni
6th September 2012, 07:02 PM
We have no way to validate that what someone posts is actually the correct IDN for that term, therefore we are discontinuing the sales sections for IDN domains.
For those that have IDN domains they wish to sell, please feel free to sign up at IDNforums.com.

From DomainGang:
http://domaingang.com/domain-news/dnforum-pulls-the-plug-on-idn-domain-sales/

monkmonkey
6th September 2012, 07:35 PM
A little research goes a long way.

IdnHost
6th September 2012, 07:37 PM
From DomainGang:
http://domaingang.com/domain-news/dnforum-pulls-the-plug-on-idn-domain-sales/

yanni
6th September 2012, 08:07 PM

It's not a joke, if that's what you mean.

http://www.dnforum.com/f72/dnforum-com-drops-sales-idn-domain-names-thread-492195.html

Rubber Duck
6th September 2012, 08:37 PM

http://www.dnforum.com/f72/dnforum-com-drops-sales-idn-domain-names-thread-492195.html

But amusing to see Rick Schwartz nominated as ignoramus in chief.

IdnHost
7th September 2012, 12:44 AM

didn't take it as a joke, just decided to reserve my comment for something of greater importance.

mulligan
7th September 2012, 02:33 AM
For those that have IDN domains they wish to sell, please feel free to sign up at IDNforums.com.

Which essentially means he's dumping all the dross on this forum, smart move. (I'm sure the mods here will be on it in a flash :-p )
Although some seem to have found their way here already.

tee1
7th September 2012, 03:52 AM
in one way I guess its good for us although our red bull expenditure probably just went up considerably for a few weeks. Maybe we should overnight the reaper a couple of cases :)

NameYourself
7th September 2012, 04:06 AM
wow, I guess its too much work for some.

bwhhisc
7th September 2012, 04:09 AM
If DNForum allowed constructive "comments" in the IDN Sales Threads then it would take care of the problem he was worried about.

Even after many people complained about some of the names being sold they did nothing about it. Nor would they allow any comments in the sales thread, the one or two I posted got removed by the MODs.

Seems it was easier to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Or throw the phishers in with the ornery reaper phish. :-p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throw_out_the_baby_with_the_bath_water

Wot
7th September 2012, 05:33 AM
If DNForum allowed constructive "comments" in the IDN Sales Threads then it would take care of the problem he was worried about.

Even after many people complained about some of the names being sold they did nothing about it. Nor would they allow any comments in the sales thread, the one or two I posted got removed by the MODs.

Seems it was easier to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Or throw the phishers in with the ornery reaper phish. :-p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throw_out_the_baby_with_the_bath_water

Yes,any comment on any of the threads was immediately removed. Reports to mods were ignored.they even deleted a warning thread. If the mods were not competent to do the job then find somebody that was.

This is an extreme measure throwing a potentially huge market away because of,ignorance? incompetence? apathy? what?

Changing the name to DNFNOIDN.com? Wonder if it's available? :-p

blastfromthepast
7th September 2012, 05:40 AM
The can't sale those domains, they don't have the droit.

NameYourself
7th September 2012, 05:41 AM
I know Adam regged 1000s of IDNs back several years ago. He seemed very optimistic about them from what we had talked about at the time and then added the idn section to the forum, so it must be strictly a management and oversight issue. It's a complex market, but once its understood and you can tell the gold from the crap it's well worth the effort.

blackpower
7th September 2012, 06:00 AM
in one way I guess its good for us although our red bull expenditure probably just went up considerably for a few weeks. Maybe we should overnight the reaper a couple of cases :)

Red Bull:eek:
You actually allow this crap into your internal World?

bumblebee man
7th September 2012, 06:49 AM

The explanation sounds a joke though. It's a declaration intellectual bankruptcy.

@Wot
I'm pretty sure this is a result of all the noise you were making. I'm sorry to say that most of your efforts with monikerblog seem to bring about unintended results. You were complaining about Sedo selling scam IDNs. Result: We got more stupid IDN warnings on Sedo. Then you complained about IDN scams on DNForum. Result: they ban IDN sales on their forum. Ironically the worst scammers of Sedo and DNForum now come to this place.

Do you know Sheldon Cooper?

In a few minutes when I gloat over the failure of this enterprise, how would you prefer I do it? The standard "I told you so" with the classic neener-neener, or my usual look of haughty derision?
[makes a face]

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.

alpha
7th September 2012, 07:29 AM
We have no way to validate that what someone posts is actually the correct IDN for that term

and this is from supposedly "domain experts".

just shows how wide that knowledge/ignorance gap is, and goes some way to explain why there is little to no market alongside the ascii space

Wot
7th September 2012, 07:44 AM
@Wot
I'm pretty sure this is a result of all the noise you were making. I'm sorry to say that most of your efforts with monikerblog seem to bring about unintended results. You were complaining about Sedo selling scam IDNs. Result: We got more stupid IDN warnings on Sedo. Then you complained about IDN scams on DNForum. Result: they ban IDN sales on their forum. Ironically the worst scammers of Sedo and DNForum now come to this place.

Do you know Sheldon Cooper?

I have no regrets.There are now very few,if any crap IDN on Sedo. The description,well tell them,they take a certain amount of notice if enough noise is made.

DNF,stupid decision by the management,but their choice to drop a large potential audience & business.

Scammers may well come here but how long do you think they would last?

I prefer to do something as opposed to nothing which appears to be the accepted norm in this business.

My theory is that maybe I will go out with a big bang but only time will tell. :-p

camarro
7th September 2012, 07:49 AM
We have no way to validate that what someone posts is actually the correct IDN for that term, therefore we are discontinuing the sales sections for IDN domains]

Yup, this takes work.

bumblebee man
7th September 2012, 07:53 AM
and this is from supposedly "domain experts".

just shows how wide that knowledge/ignorance gap is, and goes some way to explain why there is little to no market alongside the ascii space

At least they confess being hopeless.

I would love to see Adam's IDN portfolio if he can't validate anything.

BTW: How do they "validate" foreign language domains in ASCII?

bumblebee man
7th September 2012, 08:14 AM
I prefer to do something as opposed to nothing which appears to be the accepted norm in this business.

My theory is that maybe I will go out with a big bang but only time will tell. :-p

Yeah, shooting around with a gun in a room filled with gas sounds like a great idea. At least you're doing something.

The only question that matters is: Are we better off now?

Couldn't care less about DNF but my IDNs at Sedo now appear even more "irregular" than before. Potential buyers must think all IDNs are used for scamming.

Don't get me wrong. Nothing personal, but I don't think we are better off.

Wot
7th September 2012, 08:29 AM
Yeah, shooting around with a gun in a room filled with gas sounds like a great idea. At least you're doing something.

The only question that matters is: Are we better off now?

Couldn't care less about DNF but my IDNs at Sedo now appear even more "irregular" than before. Potential buyers must think all IDNs are used for scamming.

Move them from Sedo if that's a problem.

There was crap around,other than my own IDN,that looked like it needed to be addressed and has.

Are we better off? Most of the crap has gone so that has to be a step forward and can only be of benefit in the future.

alpha
7th September 2012, 08:55 AM

I think I'm agreeing with Wot here. He said what needed saying.
Sedo have always been retarded as far as IDNs are concerned.
DNF.. don't know what to say.. has anyone ever sold anything there anyway, I haven't been there for over a year, to be honest I'd forgotten about it. It was just full of misinformation, trolls and phish anyway - it's a good thing surely.

I don't think it will eradicate these scammers though, they'll all just default back to Ebay, but Ebay is such a cesspool anyway, it fits.

and they won't get an opportunity here either, so bearing in mind red-neck USA wasn't and still isn't the target market (except for look-a-like phishing names) - I see no harm done TBH

bumblebee man
7th September 2012, 09:20 AM
DNF.. don't know what to say.. has anyone ever sold anything there anyway, I haven't been there for over a year, to be honest I'd forgotten about it. It was just full of misinformation, trolls and phish anyway - it's a good thing surely.
and they won't get an opportunity here either, so bearing in mind red-neck USA wasn't and still isn't the target market (except for look-a-like phishing names) - I see no harm done TBH

I agree on this one. That's why I don't care about DNF.

I'm unhappy with the Sedo "solution" though. Can't think of many alternative domain marketplaces (at least for my German names). Now German buyers get warned over characters they are perfectly familiar with. This is confusing at best. In fact they stigmatized all IDNs as potentially phishy because of a few phishing domains.

Wot
7th September 2012, 09:34 AM
I don't know if it will be of benefit but the crap IDN campaign via my blog did seem to have a major effect,for whatever reason.

I am thinking of now going down the other route and start promoting real IDN by linking to established IDN websites (not just names) in as many languages as possible so if you have anything you would like me to promote please let me know.

Can't do any harm by going down the positive route?

Drewbert
7th September 2012, 09:53 AM
Sedo stumble from cock-up to cock-up - not just with IDN but their whole system. Only a smidgeon of if is Wot's fault. :)

Wot
7th September 2012, 10:04 AM
Sedo stumble from cock-up to cock-up - not just with IDN but their whole system. Only a smidgeon of if is Wot's fault. :)

I am stood humbled.

There I was prepared to take the blame for anything and everything and 'twas only a smidgeons worth! I'll try harder next time. :rolleyes:

bumblebee man
7th September 2012, 10:14 AM
Sedo stumble from cock-up to cock-up - not just with IDN but their whole system.

My point exactly. That's why we shouldn't ask them to change anything. No matter how bad it was before they always find a way to make it even worse.

Rubber Duck
7th September 2012, 12:11 PM

I am a bit more fussy about where I insert my crown jewels these days.

sbe18
7th September 2012, 10:43 PM
Isn't stumbling from cock up to cock up a good thing ?

;)

bwhhisc
8th September 2012, 02:33 AM
Isn't stumbling from cock up to cock up a good thing ?
;)

As long as you don't land bum down! :-p

bwhhisc
8th September 2012, 02:36 AM
Keep fisting them Wot....they deserve worse. :-o

Wot
8th September 2012, 05:52 AM
Keep fisting them Wot....they deserve worse. :-o

brachioproctic insertion?

One fist or two? :eek:

IDNCowboy
10th September 2012, 05:15 PM
Adam's idn portfolio is public.. It's all junk

Rubber Duck
10th September 2012, 08:15 PM

That is probably overly harsh, but he is no where near top twenty!

IdnHost
10th September 2012, 08:18 PM

anyone have a link to that? Id love to take a look :)

tee1
10th September 2012, 10:08 PM
anyone have a link to that? Id love to take a look :)
i think this link has some of his names

http://www.showcasemanager.com/search.php?mode=searchresults&keywords=&category=66&imageField.x=42&imageField.y=19

DktoInc
11th September 2012, 12:38 AM
i think this link has some of his names

http://www.showcasemanager.com/search.php?mode=searchresults&keywords=&category=66&imageField.x=42&imageField.y=19

xn--??? what is this junk.:-o

IDNCowboy
11th September 2012, 02:12 AM
That is probably overly harsh, but he is no where near top twenty!

His portfolio is worse than TDC's (non premiums) :P