PDA

View Full Version : Junk IDNs

monkmonkey
10th September 2012, 08:27 PM
I would like to get some insightful opinions of what defines a "junk" IDN domain. People often use the word "junk" on this forum.:confused:

Rubber Duck
10th September 2012, 08:34 PM
Same as Junk Bonds.

Below investment grade.

alpha
10th September 2012, 08:36 PM
Take an English word, stick it in Google translate, translate to Chinese, then register that in .com

alpha
10th September 2012, 08:40 PM
I would like to get some insightful opinions of what defines a "junk" IDN domain. People often use the word "junk" on this forum.:confused:

Its also a personal opinion. I dropped dozens of domains over the last few months, and keep seeing them come up for auction here - sometimes they'll reach $30+
But I dropped them on purpose, and I'd still call them junk.

squirrel
10th September 2012, 08:44 PM
Take an English word, stick it in Google translate, translate to Chinese, then register that in .com

How many did he register like that ? Surely it was more than 1K , no ?

monkmonkey
10th September 2012, 08:51 PM
Can it be defined with stats and numbers? Exact searches ect...

alpha
10th September 2012, 08:56 PM
Can it be defined with stats and numbers? Exact searches ect...

Yes, but not really practical, that number would differ by genre by language.

My 1st criteria of junk is that it is not prime, i.e. there is a more popular way (with better stats) to say the same thing.

Emil
10th September 2012, 09:00 PM

depends on your horizon for IDN progress

- if you think IDNs will reach thier potential in the next 10+ years, then most likely 99% at least of the registered IDNs are junk, in the sense that reg fees accumulated arent worth the efforts as patience will run low
- if you think IDNs will get to at least 25-50% of the potential in the less than 5 years, then a lot of IDNs that sell here for $30 will be worth at least that $30+ reg fees for next 5 years and then some.

if i am truthful to myself, i know 99% of my portfolio is junk, but if IDNs will make it, then that 1% remaining will hopefully make it worth while.

monkmonkey
10th September 2012, 09:09 PM
Could someone pm me examples of "junk" Idns so I can analyze these domains myself and conclude my own opinion. I would appreciate it.

Rubber Duck
10th September 2012, 09:29 PM
if i am truthful to myself, i know 99% of my portfolio is junk, but if IDNs will make it, then that 1% remaining will hopefully make it worth while.

About 10% of ours are proven investmeNt grade.

I would expect that figure to move to 90% plus over the next couple of years, but most of the value will be in the top ten percent.

However, some that are yielding nothing now may feature in that top decile.

tee1
10th September 2012, 09:58 PM
wow, thats a loaded question. whats junk to one is not to another. I think most would agree, something like séx or gamé where all I did was add an accented é to an english word is junk. they might actually be a word in some language but I don't think they get much love statistically ...so junk.

Also, what alpha might call junk in a Japanese dot com I wouldn't. I think many here sometimes forget ok maybe just me that most....90%+ of the good names dropped were dropped for a reason (:

To some she is a fat girl to others a hot plus size model :-D

monkmonkey
10th September 2012, 10:15 PM
Ok, so the censuses would be that "junk" is a matter of opinion. It may or may not be junk unless its an obvious mixed language as tee1 pointed out. Thanks

sbe18
11th September 2012, 02:01 AM
Junk is based on personal reasons for not buying , and then potential reasons for not renewing.

example: individual letter or individual script character IDN's

( disclosure..... I don't own any...)

some are or will be junk....who knows ? maybe they can be brands ?

the problem with 'junk' is the opinion can be based on traffic, search traffic,
keyword value, business use, or potential stand alone business itself with the name.

overstock.com dropping use of 'o.co' is pertinent of course.

I think that the junk of German 3 word IDN domains with 2 hyphens is not really junk to a native German speaker.
But they are definitely junk to an ASCII only domainer.

remember the Aristotle grid:

you can know what you know.
you can know what you don't know
you can not know what you know.
you can not know what don't know.

the 2x2 knowledge grid.

we all have registered junk from all 4 positions.

Jeff Bezos called his online bookstore 'amazon' for the reason that he wanted an
A name to be ahead of Borders and Barnes/Noble on the Yahoo directory page....

back in the day of 75 dollar per year Network Solutions fees...

squirrel
11th September 2012, 02:18 AM
Ok, so the censuses would be that "junk" is a matter of opinion. It may or may not be junk unless its an obvious mixed language as tee1 pointed out. Thanks

No, there are universal junk as well

Words that do not stand alone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declension) are junk for everyone, at best if they bring traffic they are to be treated like typos.

Archaic (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Old_Chinese_archaic_terms) words are junk.

Domains that cannot be typed for whatever reason, such as domains using old code points, are junk.

Domains unsupported by IDNA2008 are junk. As such most symbol domains are junk.

thegenius1
11th September 2012, 02:34 AM
If Deviled Eggs can fetch 50k with just a Adsense site it's fair to say that some peoples junk is other peoples treasure.

idn
11th September 2012, 02:43 AM
This could possibly be the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen on the forum. Damn we are bored.

11th September 2012, 06:26 AM
If Deviled Eggs can fetch 50k with just a Adsense site it's fair to say that some peoples junk is other peoples treasure.

wasn't this sale based on adsense income from seo?

as for junk: IMO symbol and phishing domains are clearly junk.

for the rest. It's hard to say IMO. In today's english ascii market generic domains can sell for a lot of money even if they are of questionable quality.

If one would have registered a lot of this left junk in 2002 you may have made a lot of money. If you look at the names that schilling owns i think you see a lot of "junk" if we compare the names with what we are selling here on the forum. I think that his strategy was to buy names that no one would buy at this time because they were lower quality names.

So buying tens of thousand junk names was very profitable at least in ascii. Schilling earned far more than many of the people who got in earlier and would focus only on high quality domains.

When such junk names drop today dozens people are fighting to get them and often pay thousands or more for them. Yesterday's junk is considered "premium" today.

IDN Junk names have far higher risk because in the end because you don't know how strong a particular IDN market will become within a certain timeframe. If you own a premium name you are far more likely to sell it earlier and far more likely to resell it to another speculator. Unless you overpay for it you are less likely to lose your money.

I wouldn't recommend it but if you pay $100 for 10 year renewal fees in advance and eventually sell the name for $1000 a piece you would still make money.

bumblebee man
11th September 2012, 10:04 AM
No, there are universal junk as well

Words that do not stand alone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declension) are junk for everyone, at best if they bring traffic they are to be treated like typos.

Archaic (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Old_Chinese_archaic_terms) words are junk.

Domains that cannot be typed for whatever reason, such as domains using old code points, are junk.

Domains unsupported by IDNA2008 are junk. As such most symbol domains are junk.

@monkmonkey

Examples:

phishing (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/32193-advertisin%C9%A1-com-%5B-xn-advertisin-qle-com%5D.html)

symbol (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/27216-%C2%A3%C2%A3-com.html)

non stand-alone (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/31876-%5Bcar%5D-com-russian.html)

plain junk (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/31249-%E5%B1%B1%E4%B8%9C-com-shandong.html) ;)

markits
11th September 2012, 12:01 PM
no traffic?

sunsei21
11th September 2012, 03:04 PM

not a domain sale the site was at the top of the first page on Google for the term , and based on revenue and i i would not have called it junk if it was a domain by itself honestly

This could possibly be the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen on the forum. Damn we are bored.

i agree :lol:

thegenius1
11th September 2012, 03:28 PM
not a domain sale the site was at the top of the first page on Google for the term , and based on revenue and i i would not have called it junk if it was a domain by itself honestly

i agree :lol:

Ofcourse it was a website and not just a domain, however my point is if you can Turn Deviled Eggs into a Golden Egg with a simple adsense website. Its really hard to determine what junk is. It's really all predicated on what you plan on doing with your actual domain names.

Jay
11th September 2012, 03:50 PM

No revenue potential. No end user potential. Secondary and tertiary terms. Misspelt. Hyphenated. Crap extension.

sunsei21
11th September 2012, 06:34 PM
Ofcourse it was a website and not just a domain, however my point is if you can Turn Deviled Eggs into a Golden Egg with a simple adsense website. Its really hard to determine what junk is. It's really all predicated on what you plan on doing with your actual domain names.

i agree, but that just brings up potential vs intrinsic value if you go with just the latter then junk is pretty easy to spot go with the former then the sky is almost the limit

12th September 2012, 09:51 AM
It's really all predicated on what you plan on doing with your actual domain names.

Domaining and development is not exactly the same. If you know how to market a website you can create a 10k income website on a crappy3worddomain.com and sell it for 100k or more.

Developers can create valuable websites on worthless domain names and sell them for a lot of money.

Some domainers don't want to hear this but it is possible to create a successful site on a crappy domain. Infact the most successful sites in many fields are rarely killer category generics. Doesn't mean the a good generic can be very good but it is not required to build a good brand.

if you can Turn Deviled Eggs into a Golden Egg with a simple adsense website. Its really hard to determine what junk is

I am not sure in that case not since the site was valuable because of seo not because of the domain IMO. keyword domains are just one of hundreds of factors affecting rankings and heavily depend on ever changing algos.

they could have choosen:

DeviledEggs.info

DeviledEggs.cc

DeviledEggs.fm

mydeviledeggs.com
deviled-eggs.info
deviledeggsquick.com

etc.

In the end i doubt that the choice would have made much of a difference when it comes to adsense income and website value.

The question is how much will they earn with a site on a cheap domain and how much MORE they will earn if they own the prime generic term. Having the prime term does not alway mean they will earn more.

If the website earns 10% more because they own the generic com, the domain deviledeggs.com would be worth $5000 in theory but in practice it may be hard to find a buyer who agrees with that and is willing to pay that amount when plenty of alternatives at regfee are available. So i think the value of such names is limited but they are not worthless at least in a large and mature markets like english .com ascii provided you can find a buyer which may be hard in practice.

Rubber Duck
12th September 2012, 03:47 PM
If all your traffic is new traffic then I would agree with you.

If you want returning traffic, then you need a proper address.

Direct Navigation is what grows in the end, even if there was none at the out.

A crap domain will always under yield, but I agree for developed sites snappy brandable names can work. They will not, however, provide you with natural type in.

A dog, however, will always be a dog.

Rubber Duck
12th September 2012, 03:50 PM
Just how successful would the Shaddock 5 be if Apple had decided to brand on another less well known fruit?