PDA

View Full Version : help for my 7th grader : paper on sports team hatred

sbe18
25th September 2012, 06:31 AM
My 7th grade son is writing a paper on fan hatred of rival teams, where even the team colors on a prospective girlfriend is a date-killer....

He has a handle on 4 or 5 for US sports. Lots of good fan blood feuds to comment on.

Dallas Cowboys hatred...Yankees hatred...Lakers hatred...Red Wings hatred...

I suggested spicing it up a bit with international football.

My picks for him to look at:

UK but non resident of north London--- fan hatred for Chelsea,

worldwide hatred of all things Man U, and Arsenal.... depending on standings and player transfers in the particular era....

General non-Spanish national--- hatred of Real Madrid.

General non-German national---- hatred of Bayern Munich.

General EU- non Italian national -hatred of the Italian national team.

My college room mate from many years ago... says hatred of Leeds United
was the most visceral he ever saw in the UK when he was a kid..
but I can't seem to find the reasons why from 25++++ years ago...

all suggested grudge hatreds are welcome...thanks...

;)

s/

monkmonkey
25th September 2012, 07:11 AM
I HATE THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!:mad: GO BROWNS!!!:cool:

bumblebee man
25th September 2012, 07:12 AM
Did you see Liverpool - ManUnided this weekend? That's bloody hatred.

In Germany the strongest rivalry is between Schalke and Dortmund. Although there's always a good reason to hate Bayern Munich.

Roma vs. Lazio and Celtic vs. Rangers is fun as well.

As for the Italian national team almost everyone in Germany claims to hate them for their style of playing. But in fact most hate them for always beating us.

JamesD
25th September 2012, 09:44 AM
You want to see real tribal hatred? How about the whole of the EU against the UK - Eurovision Song Contest...it's brutal!

domainguru
25th September 2012, 01:10 PM
Leeds vs any team from Manchester ...

Comes from War of the Roses, go figure.

Rubber Duck
25th September 2012, 02:50 PM
England v Argentina?

sbe18
25th September 2012, 10:41 PM
thanks for all of the suggestions....

he is writing about wide spread league or union or association hatred / resentment of one team by dozen(s) of team fans opposing that team.

he is compiling a very good list of rivalries...
It is the list of true vast league list vs one team in particular hatreds that is kind of daunting.

So do fans beyond Celtic / Rangers hate one of the two more ??

Is AC Milan hated more than Roma in Italy by the rest of the league fans ?

My sense in Spain is that hatred of Barcelona/ Real Madrid is very real beyond the two cities....
but that most hate Real Madrid more...

My apologies if I am wrong here... but I sense that Northern England fans despise London area teams more than London fans hate non-London teams....

he is picking up on General Canadian hatred of the Montreal Canadians beyond Quebec....

A Brazilian friend has sent a nice piece on Flamengo hatred...
And an Argentinian friend has written a note on River Plate resentment...

Diving into Wikipedia today....the 60's / 70's hatred of Leeds has been an eye opener for me.

s/

squirrel
25th September 2012, 11:02 PM
he is picking up on General Canadian hatred of the Montreal Canadians beyond Quebec....

s/

It's not all hate beyond Quebec. It's mixed love hate. Many US fans love the Montreal Canadiens (notice the "e") simply because historically they were one of the original 6 teams and have amassed the most Stanley cups of all active and retired teams. Also there's a bit of taunting against French speaking players but it's not exclusive to them, Europeans players get taunted a lot too, etc..

One thing that is universal though, is the general hatred of the Montreal Canadiens fans. Habs fans are hated everywhere. That's probably the closest thing to universal hate you'll get from the NHL. As an example of this you can point your son to the Chara Pacioretty hit where at one point the Montreal police got involved kind of because the habs fans were so upset about the hit. Local police investigating a hit during a contact sport professional game is unheard of (at least to me). Most hockey fans felt this was ridiculous and really representative of whiny Habs fans. Another example would be the Habs fan booing the US National anthem. Many hockey fans felt this was one of the most disrespectful things fans could do, and only in Montreal would that happen. If you need more material just pm me I could go on for hours.

Cheers

squirrel
25th September 2012, 11:02 PM
Maybe also Pakistan vs India Cricket ?

25th September 2012, 11:11 PM
Boca Juniors - River Plate brought me here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_rivalries

domainguru
26th September 2012, 02:18 AM
thanks for all of the suggestions....

he is writing about wide spread league or union or association hatred / resentment of one team by dozen(s) of team fans opposing that team.

he is compiling a very good list of rivalries...
It is the list of true vast league list vs one team in particular hatreds that is kind of daunting.

So do fans beyond Celtic / Rangers hate one of the two more ??

Is AC Milan hated more than Roma in Italy by the rest of the league fans ?

My sense in Spain is that hatred of Barcelona/ Real Madrid is very real beyond the two cities....
but that most hate Real Madrid more...

My apologies if I am wrong here... but I sense that Northern England fans despise London area teams more than London fans hate non-London teams....

A Brazilian friend has sent a nice piece on Flamengo hatred...
And an Argentinian friend has written a note on River Plate resentment...

Diving into Wikipedia today....the 60's / 70's hatred of Leeds has been an eye opener for me.

s/

The northern England fans vs London fans is very minor really, its just North vs South England, always been a "thing" in England but just banter, all a bit gay really.

Much more intense are local rivalries. Already mentioned Leeds vs Manchester, Liverpool vs Manchester, Rangers vs Celtic, Hibs vs Hearts (hatred eloquently described in trainspotting book) Arsenal vs Spurs, Newcastle vs Sunderland, Aston Villa vs Birmingham, the list is practically endless, and lots of real hate involved. Its all too well controlled (CCTV, police, stewards) for real violence to happen these days but going to (or near) a football ground in the '70s and '80s was a very scary experience. Not at all "family friendly" as it is now.

If your son wants some "light relief" and he should do dealing with this subject, look at Liverpool vs Everton. Both sets of supporters very passionate, games incredibly intense yet the crowd is largely unsegregated, red shirts sitting next to blue ones. Scouse families are often split in half along football lines.

And the great Bill Shankly quote (hope I'm not misquoting) - Football isn't a matter of life and death, its much more important than that - is very true for lots of people round the globe.

alpha
26th September 2012, 08:51 AM
rivalry is best observed through football chants. Hatred/piss taking is taken to a new level once the entire crowd start chanting the same lyrics - usually mixed in with a good old dose of British humour.

here's a list to get you started: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-funniest-football-chants-1774361.html?action=gallery&ino=1

there's also some witty personal chants, my favourite...

Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams

*Celtic fans on Andy Goram after it was revealed the keeper was diagnosed with schizophrenia