PDA

View Full Version : Told you so!

Rubber Duck
1st October 2012, 05:29 PM
So we're dot co uk really a better bet than IDN.com?

http://www.itpro.co.uk/643231/nominet-proposes-shorter-more-secure-uk-domains

Sorry, but I think that I told you so!

alpha
1st October 2012, 05:32 PM
I read your words 4x times and I still have no idea.

please elaborate, it might be interesting

squirrel
1st October 2012, 05:32 PM
Would be curious to hear Edwin on this

Rubber Duck
1st October 2012, 05:36 PM
I read your words 4x times and I still have no idea.

please elaborate, it might be interesting

Dot co uk is about to become second division.

There is absolutely no guarantee that holders of generics are going to get grandfathered in.

Big Buck dot co uk sales are history.

tee1
1st October 2012, 05:40 PM
There is absolutely no guarantee that holders of generics are going to get grandfathered in.

I missed that from the article and how could they possibly pull that off, giving someone keyword.uk where a site exists keywork.co.uk, is that what you are saying?

I guess this it?
[edit] "This NEW secure domain space would boost the growth of the UK internet economy."

I would be pissed if I developed keywork.co.uk and someone else got keyword.uk

alpha
1st October 2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks yes, that. I read this morning, and yes the wording about dnssec and must be trading company etc.. sure sounded like its a new name space with zero grandfathering - did I also read they would prevent re-sales..
One thing is for sure, yes it's going to mix it up a bit.

Rubber Duck
1st October 2012, 05:44 PM
I missed that from the article and how could they possibly pull that off, giving someone keyword.uk where a site exists keywork.co.uk, is that what you are saying?

Well to start with owners of .org.uk an .net.uk have equal claim to .co.uk.

tee1
1st October 2012, 05:56 PM
Well to start with owners of .org.uk an .net.uk have equal claim to .co.uk.

wow forgot about those(org.uk an .net.uk) , so I guess they could always auction off the keyword.uk version and they would have at least 3 motivated buyers..... or three upset customer

Rubber Duck
1st October 2012, 06:04 PM
wow forgot about those(org.uk an .net.uk) , so I guess they could always auction off the keyword.uk version and they would have at least 3 motivated buyers..... or three upset customer

Fuck only knows but I recently lost QueenVictoria.co.uk which I defended against Cunard due to an incompetent registrar and a bureaucratic minefield at Nominet despite having 18 months registration left.

So in short I would not piss on you for one of the new ones let alone one of the old ones!

alpha
1st October 2012, 06:18 PM
There's a thread running over at acorndomains discussing this, as you'd expect.

most people seem to think its a foregone conclusion that nominet are introducing it, and most people seem to think .co.uk registrants just took a massive body blow.

Edwin seem pretty busy over there organising the troops

glad i'm out of that game.

Wot
1st October 2012, 10:21 PM
Fuck only knows but I recently lost QueenVictoria.co.uk which I defended against Cunard due to an incompetent registrar and a bureaucratic minefield at Nominet despite having 18 months registration left.

So in short I would not piss on you for one of the new ones let alone one of the old ones!

.cn looking like a good buy. :-p

Drewbert
1st October 2012, 11:54 PM
Another example of the need for diversification.

jose
2nd October 2012, 12:06 AM
http://www.thedomains.com/2012/10/01/after-raising-over-4-5-million-selling-1-2-letter-co-uk-domains-nominet-proposes-uk-domains/

sue them

Avtal
2nd October 2012, 03:42 AM
Another example of the need for diversification.

:)

squirrel
2nd October 2012, 03:58 AM
:)

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsandliving/style/studio/gr/art-021708.jpg

When the soil oozes with oil it's not the time to diversify

I made that up

Avtal
2nd October 2012, 04:26 AM
When the soil oozes with oil it's not the time to diversify

Ah, the good old days. Nowadays the oilmen are reading (and writing!) articles with titles like: Applying Modern Portfolio Theory in the Upstream Oil and Gas Sector (http://www.pennenergy.com/index/petroleum/display/309095/articles/oil-gas-financial-journal/volume-4/issue-10/features/applying-modern-portfolio-theory-in-the-upstream-oil-and-gas-sector.html).

Sample quote from the article:

With the variances of each asset defined stochastically via a binomial risk of success or failure plus the lognormal distribution of the successful outcomes, an analyst is able to gain insight into the dynamics of various asset combinations within the portfolio.

Avtal

squirrel
2nd October 2012, 04:39 AM
I like you Avtal, you're a good sport.

I hope you can tell I'm bored right now, not picking on you.

I'll post in your other thread whilst RD is still in a good mood.

alpha
2nd October 2012, 06:35 AM

yep that's about it..

Q Why wouldn't you just let everyone with a .co.uk have automatic rights to the .uk?

A The proposals we have outlined acknowledge that existing registrants with domain names registered in the third level may have an unregistered right provided evidence of use could be shown prior to a qualifying date. We also believe that it is appropriate to recognise trademark holders as having prior rights to registering a domain, followed by those with unregistered rights. Our current rules provide that a registrant does not have any rights in any words within a .uk domain, and that Nominet does not authorise registrants to use the domain name as part of a business. However, as part of the registered rights phase of sunrise, we would generally accept evidence of use as a valid unregistered right. We believe this approach fits with a digital economy where innovation and intellectual property are championed and to supporting existing registrants who might want to take up such a new service.

ouch. that's just about worse case scenario.

Wot
2nd October 2012, 07:08 AM
"Originally Posted by Nominets FAQ
Q Why wouldn't you just let everyone with a .co.uk have automatic rights to the .uk?

A The proposals we have outlined acknowledge that existing registrants with domain names registered in the third level may have an unregistered right provided evidence of use could be shown prior to a qualifying date. We also believe that it is appropriate to recognise trademark holders as having prior rights to registering a domain, followed by those with unregistered rights. Our current rules provide that a registrant does not have any rights in any words within a .uk domain, and that Nominet does not authorise registrants to use the domain name as part of a business. However, as part of the registered rights phase of sunrise, we would generally accept evidence of use as a valid unregistered right. We believe this approach fits with a digital economy where innovation and intellectual property are championed and to supporting existing registrants who might want to take up such a new service."

They want to make big bucks from the auctions.I guess FS and buddies will now be determining the best way to qualify to get as many of the premium as possible pre landrush.

Rubber Duck
2nd October 2012, 07:13 AM
Seems to me that you not only need to be registering a trademark but need a credible business website for each domain you are seeking to grandfather.

The cost of the Sunrise fees alone is also likely to be very substantial.

Rubber Duck
2nd October 2012, 07:17 AM
Still as they say, it is an Ill Wind!

Parallels will inevitably be drawn with IDNs and the New gTLD programme.

It is likely we will come up smelling of Roses.

bwhhisc
2nd October 2012, 11:23 AM
Seems to me that you not only need to be registering a trademark but need a credible business website for each domain you are seeking to grandfather.

The cost of the Sunrise fees alone is also likely to be very substantial.

This .gtld business is starting to look like a human cockroach farm.

sbe18
2nd October 2012, 10:38 PM
thanks for the Daniel Day Lewis pic....
what a great actor...

UK trademark attorneys will be well paid during the Sunrise nightmare....

I guess the one letter / two letter/ and LLLL bullshit will beat watching darts for many....