PDA

View Full Version : Use of a Drawing for Prioritizing New gTLD Applications

AWS
11th October 2012, 10:36 AM
10 October 2012

After careful analysis of public comment and possible solutions for processing new gTLD applications, ICANN is proposing a plan for prioritizing applications through the steps leading to delegation. The plan describes assignment of priorities through the use of a Draw or Drawing – the priority assigned to each application will be used to schedule the release of initial evaluation results, pre-delegation testing, and contract execution. The proposal seeks to complete processing in an expedited manner, serve the public interest and provide an equitable prioritization mechanism.

The proposed plan is posted for a 30-day comment period.

The plan is posted at http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/batching/drawing-prioritization-10oct12-en.pdf.
The comment forum is at http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/drawing-prioritization-10oct12-en.htm.

From PDF:

IDNs will be given a priority. Advance release of IDNs promotes DNS diversity, makes the Internet
more accessible, increases avenues of participation and serves the public interest.

domainguru
11th October 2012, 10:44 AM
From PDF:

IDNs will be given a priority. Advance release of IDNs promotes DNS diversity, makes the Internet
more accessible, increases avenues of participation and serves the public interest.

wow! love the "IDNs will be given a priority" slap-bang on the first page. Its a shoe-in now, presuming ICANN doesn't cock this one up as well ........ :cool:

And finally, ICANN actually *has* effectively taken IDNs out of the gTLD expansion program. Better later than never. From the doc:

---------
At what rate will evaluation results be released?

They will be released in weekly sets starting in late March 2013 and are scheduled to finish at the end of June of that year. Those with the lowest Draw Numbers will be released first (after IDNs). Dividing the number of applications by the number of weeks available indicates that approximately 150 evaluation results should be released per week. In the first weeks, the number of releases might be fewer than that because, when the Draw occurs in December, it will cause a re-ordering of evaluations by the panels. We expect that the number released weekly will ramp up quickly.

Why we would adopt a level playing field method and then skew it slightly by saying we're going to prioritize one category of applicant, IDNs?

Prioritization of IDNs is in the global public interest to provide a broader choice to users in countries that do not use the Latin script. IDNs are placed at the head of the line for those people who have not been able to use the Internet either totally or substantially because of historical (by Internet standards) linguistic developments. Also, it is consistent with GAC advice to the Board and is consistent with ICANN’s international outreach strategy.
--------

JamesD
11th October 2012, 01:12 PM
Just saw this and checked to see if already posted...IDNs getting priority - excellent!

squirrel
11th October 2012, 01:18 PM
Also, it is consistent with GAC advice to the Board
--------

:cool:

bumblebee man
11th October 2012, 01:20 PM
:cool:

Well done. :)

squirrel
11th October 2012, 01:28 PM
We did great guys. Not only did ICANN say yes to IDNs but it also effectively said no to Community and Geo TLDs
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20120829_strong_support_for_idns_geos_and_or_communities_to_go_first/

Drewbert
11th October 2012, 01:54 PM
Which was nice.

So IDN initial evaluations come out on week 3 and 4 of March 2013.

Contract signings after http://beijing46.icann.org/ (7-11 April 2013)

So first delegations around end of April?

It would no surprise me if they actually had some public signings of some Chinese IDN contracts DURING the Beijing meeting. Would be huge PR opp.

Only 180 more sleeps until .ком goes live?

JamesD
11th October 2012, 02:12 PM

And remember, you've got Christmas to look forward to before then... :-D

TrafficDomainer
11th October 2012, 04:41 PM
Great news for us all. Thanks everyone for helping push this, finally!

sbe18
11th October 2012, 09:20 PM
very nice.....

interesting that it pushes ex-ICANNers start up efforts to the back of the bus...

Rubber Duck
12th October 2012, 01:45 AM
very nice.....

interesting that it pushes ex-ICANNers start up efforts to the back of the bus...

Well, they always were barking up the wrong tree.

They are largely responsible for the most of the confusion and delays, so it seems like poetic justice to me.

12th October 2012, 02:43 AM
This is great to see.

ICANN's new CEO Mr. Chehadé on the Equitable Prioritization of New gTLD Applications (Video - Don't miss 1:16 to 1:40 http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/video/equitable-prioritization-10oct12-en

Avtal
12th October 2012, 02:45 AM

Do naps count?

Anyway, good news!

Avtal

TrafficDomainer
12th October 2012, 05:16 AM
This is great to see.

ICANN's new CEO Mr. Chehadé on the Equitable Prioritization of New gTLD Applications (Video - Don't miss 1:16 to 1:40 http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/video/equitable-prioritization-10oct12-en

Thanks Moshe. Chehade's simple draw approach while giving the 100 and odd IDNs the priority ahead of the non idns is very sensible. He seems like the right man for this job. Glad the old management executives have moved on.

alibuba
12th October 2012, 05:43 AM
OMFG, and its not a prank. Wow this is just amazing! This will definitely spark a buying spree to those who know.

Drewbert
12th December 2012, 09:23 PM
http://www.domainnamenews.com/new-gtlds/icann-opens-ticket-purchases-for-their-new-gtld-lottery/22139

bwhhisc
12th December 2012, 09:52 PM
Curious about opinions here about what will change and at what pace once IDN.IDN is implemented.

Once idn.idn gets in the root, what is the catalyst, if any that might make the traffic spike after that happens? Some have predicted big numbers and big change, others thinking it will be minimal. Any guesses on how much it will climb, if more than the steady tick up we have seen over the last few years.

In 2006 the "Holy Grail" was IE7 which was going to make most computers IDN compatable, then in 2008- 2009 it was getting browsers up to critical mass with IE7 or later. I think those both helped get the small traffic we see today, but still a long way to go, not to mention the email snafu that continues to drag on.

I personally think that media coverage and local awareness is the key for the lesser langauges, along with development of IDN sites to get people searching in their own native languages. I think the Chinese figured this out long ago as did the Germans and will be the frontrunners in IDN usage.

domainguru
13th December 2012, 11:02 AM
Curious about opinions here about what will change and at what pace once IDN.IDN is implemented.

Once idn.idn gets in the root, what is the catalyst, if any that might make the traffic spike after that happens? Some have predicted big numbers and big change, others thinking it will be minimal. Any guesses on how much it will climb, if more than the steady tick up we have seen over the last few years.

In 2006 the "Holy Grail" was IE7 which was going to make most computers IDN compatable, then in 2008- 2009 it was getting browsers up to critical mass with IE7 or later. I think those both helped get the small traffic we see today, but still a long way to go, not to mention the email snafu that continues to drag on.

I personally think that media coverage and local awareness is the key for the lesser langauges, along with development of IDN sites to get people searching in their own native languages. I think the Chinese figured this out long ago as did the Germans and will be the frontrunners in IDN usage.

Honestly, not really bothered about traffic numbers. As ASCII owners have found out, what goes up always goes down.

Much more interested in the effect IDN.IDN has on end-user offers - quantity and quality.

There will be an overnight (well as soon as new spreads through the press and people "get it") improvement in demand, because very simply put, people are now getting the domains they have wanted for a long time. There is pent-up demand. That is for sure.

But that's only net-savvy business owners and web developers. For the rest of the population, many of whom still know nothing of IDNs, the game-change will only come when local brands start using IDN.IDN and advertise them. That will be the 2nd phase.

Traffic increase? Who knows. Most people here believe in many regions it depends almost entirely on Safari browser behaviour. Its nice to have but if its the basis of your domain name business plan, your plan needs "tweaking".

alpha
13th December 2012, 11:40 AM
..There will be an overnight (well as soon as new spreads through the press and people "get it") improvement in demand, because very simply put, people are now getting the domains they have wanted for a long time. There is pent-up demand. That is for sure..

you really think that?

I think the web will be swamped with more PR releases on "the next new big thing" than you can shake a stick at. There will be 1,500 .fails all trying to grab market share and mindset.

There's a real risk that any .IDN news will get drowned out in the noise.
When the dust has settled, and the gTLDs that are needed are the only ones left standing, then yes, maybe then. But that doesn't sound like overnight to me.

Rubber Duck
13th December 2012, 12:25 PM
you really think that?

I think the web will be swamped with more PR releases on "the next new big thing" than you can shake a stick at. There will be 1,500 .fails all trying to grab market share and mindset.

When the dust has settled, and the gTLDs that are needed are the only ones left standing, then yes, maybe then. But that doesn't sound like overnight to me.

Things do change rapidly. A few years ago Rick was saying that the Chinese Economy was not worth bothering about.

Now China produces more cars than the US and Japan Combined.

It is only a matter of time before the last light goes off in Detroit.

domainguru
13th December 2012, 05:29 PM
you really think that?

I'm talking about the market I know about, Thailand, where people put .คอม in their logos even when the domains don't exist (bizarre but true). Where kids have ".คอม" as their given nickname. Where people searching in google for full domain names in the majority of cases search for the ".คอม" version instead of ".com". I could go on but I won't, a new site I'm launching soon will do the talking (and selling) for me.

Sure, IDN news will get drowned out in the US and on CNN. But who gives a f***? I don't. Nobody watches CNN here or MSNBC news. I gave a s***t about the local Thai press. And it will be news here, believe me. I don't need it to be news anywhere else.

So yeah, I really do think that :-D

blastfromthepast
13th December 2012, 05:37 PM
I'm talking about the market I know about, Thailand, where people put .คอม in their logos even when the domains don't exist (bizarre but true). ..... Where people searching in google for full domain names in the majority of cases search for the ".คอม" version instead of ".com".

The same situation in Russia: .ком has always existed in people's minds.

alpha
13th December 2012, 05:46 PM
I'm talking about the market I know about, Thailand, where people put .คอม in their logos even when the domains don't exist (bizarre but true). Where kids have ".คอม" as their given nickname. Where people searching in google for full domain names in the majority of cases search for the ".คอม" version instead of ".com". I could go on but I won't, a new site I'm launching soon will do the talking (and selling) for me.

Sure, IDN news will get drowned out in the US and on CNN. But who gives a f***? I don't. Nobody watches CNN here or MSNBC news. I gave a s***t about the local Thai press. And it will be news here, believe me. I don't need it to be news anywhere else.

So yeah, I really do think that :-D

Did I catch you at the wrong time of the month?

Rubber Duck
13th December 2012, 05:51 PM
Well, the spammers certainly get it enought to look up my Who-is an bury me in emails of all the scripts which I have invested in.:lol:

Rubber Duck
13th December 2012, 05:52 PM

What? The bit where the parking revenue goes a bit flat? :lol:

domainguru
14th December 2012, 03:17 AM

No I'm fine dude. Just surprised you were surprised I 'honestly' thought that ... but yeah, had had a very long day programming :-p

you know this already, but I don't write anything to try and 'boost markets' or 'do a Rick' as its commonly know. I just say what I believe. Sometimes fact, sometimes opinion, but never done as an attempt at manipulation. And if I come across as passionate about Thai IDNs, that's just because I am.

domainguru
14th December 2012, 03:19 AM
What? The bit where the parking revenue goes a bit flat? :lol:

The Thai lottery is bi-monthly (with traffic spikes to match), so I have a bi-monthly cycle. If ladies think they have it bad ....

alpha
14th December 2012, 03:23 AM
No I'm fine dude. Just surprised you were surprised I 'honestly' thought that ... but yeah, had had a very long day programming :-p

I didn't think that. I just wanted to prompt a non-sheep-following reply...

you know this already, but I don't write anything to try and 'boost markets' or 'do a Rick' as its commonly know. I just say what I believe. Sometimes fact, sometimes opinion, but never done as an attempt at manipulation.

...and that's what you delivered. Quite refreshing to hear actually, thanks.

domainguru
14th December 2012, 03:28 AM
I didn't think that. I just wanted to prompt a non-sheep-following reply...

Nobody has ever accused me of being a sheep, well, "black sheep of the family" a few times when I was younger but we won't go into that :-D

...and that's what you delivered. Quite refreshing to hear actually, thanks.

Welcome.

chrisofmel
16th December 2012, 04:30 PM
Well, the spammers certainly get it enought to look up my Who-is an bury me in emails of all the scripts which I have invested in.:lol:

the new gtld's opening up for the rubberduck

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2012-12-11/london-bridge-forced-to-open-for-50-foot-rubber-duck/

domainguru
17th December 2012, 05:45 AM
Well its December 17th in Thailand already at least - draw day?

o.c.
17th December 2012, 06:17 PM
I read you can watch it live here in 2 hours or so:

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/prioritization-draw

And result table here:

http://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/viewstatus

squirrel
17th December 2012, 07:56 PM
https://icann.adobeconnect.com/_a819976787/draw/?launcher=false

squirrel
17th December 2012, 08:06 PM
it's starting

squirrel
17th December 2012, 08:10 PM
108 of the 116 IDNs app. bought their ticket

alpha
17th December 2012, 08:26 PM
aahhaha @ ali

squirrel
17th December 2012, 08:29 PM
the guy has no hand apparently, makes you wonder how he achieved such SFX

yanni
17th December 2012, 08:47 PM
.ком priority 61

o.c.
17th December 2012, 08:53 PM
Does anybody have an idea about the time span between #1 and #108?

squirrel
17th December 2012, 08:56 PM
.com in arabic 101 I think, .com in japanese 104 I think

IdnHost
17th December 2012, 08:59 PM
and .kom ?

Fka200
17th December 2012, 09:00 PM
.kom ?

yeah, i saw it!

IdnHost
17th December 2012, 09:00 PM
goody :)

Fka200
17th December 2012, 09:01 PM
Does anybody have an idea about the time span between #1 and #108?

Approximately 1:27PM PST to 1:56PM PST. (30 or so minutes)

Used Facebook chat times for reference.

o.c.
17th December 2012, 09:10 PM
Approximately 1:27PM PST to 1:56PM PST. (30 or so minutes)

Used Facebook chat times for reference.

No no, I meant in real life; how long between #1 goes live and #108 goes live?

alpha
17th December 2012, 09:14 PM
No no, I meant in real life; how long between #1 goes live and #108 goes live?

a good friend tells me you can assume 30 per week.

.ком priority 61 = approx Apr 6th

Drewbert
17th December 2012, 09:16 PM
They must have had some big hold-up's, the allocated non-IDN's are just starting now.

Can't see the IDN results on their site yet. So Verisign bombed a bit? Way down the list for most?

squirrel
17th December 2012, 09:19 PM
yup. and I'm not entirely sure they bought a ticket for every application

Drewbert
17th December 2012, 09:32 PM
Results posted within 24 hours after conclusion of the drawing.

One of you guys that was awake should have written down the draw order!

squirrel
17th December 2012, 09:43 PM
they did not read the string !, the MC was only reading the ticket numbers, plus the camera angle and resolution made it difficult to see the unicode string

Drewbert
17th December 2012, 09:46 PM
Sheesh. Didn't even read out the punycode? Morons.

Couldn't run a piss-up in a brewery.

TrafficDomainer
17th December 2012, 10:38 PM
.คอม (Thai) is # 58 !

All IDN priority results are in:

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/watchthedraw

Drewbert
17th December 2012, 10:46 PM
Hopefully, with ком 1/2 way down the list, .คอม is up near the front somewhere!

Drewbert
17th December 2012, 10:46 PM
Gaaaa!

TrafficDomainer
17th December 2012, 11:07 PM
Update: All Verisign applied for IDN gTLDs in the order drawn:

1) 大拿 - #16
2) 點看 - #20
3) कॉम - #26
4) 닷넷 – #33
5) नट – #37
6) คอม – #58
7) Ком – #61
8) 点看 – #66
9) קום- #76
10) 닷컴 -#90
11) #101 -كوم
12) コム #105

And .Gongsi by CCNIC:

公司 - #103

IdnHost
17th December 2012, 11:10 PM
Update for all Verisign applied for IDN gTLDs in the order drawn that I can see:

1) 點看 - 20
2)닷넷 – 33
3) नट – 37
4) คอม – 58
5) Ком – 61
6) 点看 – 66
7) קום 76 - 7קום
8) 닷컴 -90
9) 101 -كوم
10) コム 105

And .Gongsi by CCNIC:

公司 - 103

Isn't hindi.com #26?

TrafficDomainer
17th December 2012, 11:21 PM
Isn't hindi.com #26?

Sorry, missed it, now updated. Thanks!

IdnHost
17th December 2012, 11:26 PM
Sorry, missed it, now updated. Thanks!

no problem, thanks for the update :)

TrafficDomainer
17th December 2012, 11:32 PM
yup. and I'm not entirely sure they bought a ticket for every application

Fortunately, Verisign didn't embarrass itself like it did with the Hebrew application that needed correction the last time. Congrats to all on the milestone. :)

squirrel
18th December 2012, 12:06 AM
:up:

blastfromthepast
18th December 2012, 12:13 AM
I see a lot of TLDs in capital Latin letters, although capital letters are not allowed as domain names.

Drewbert
18th December 2012, 12:36 AM
what about the .org's?

tee1
18th December 2012, 12:47 AM
Preliminary master list (http://newgtlds.icann.org/sites/default/files/pdraw/prelim-draw-master-list-1719pst-17dec12-en.pdf)
http://newgtlds.icann.org/sites/default/files/pdraw/prelim-draw-master-list-1719pst-17dec12-en.pdf

The results displayed in this document are preliminary and do not represent a validated or finalized result of the New
gTLD Prioritization Draw. These preliminary results are provided for information only and should not be relied upon
for any purpose. Final results will be posted on ICANN's website at http://gtldresult.icann.org/applicationresult/applicationstatus within 24 hours of the end of the Draw.

tee1
18th December 2012, 12:52 AM
what about the .org's?
(:

83 Public Interest Registry सगं ठन
87 Public Interest Registry 机构体制
89 Public Interest Registry 机构
108 Public Interest Registry орг

Drewbert
18th December 2012, 12:58 AM
Sheesh. The variant TLD's sucked at it. None in the first 1/4 of the list!

tee1
18th December 2012, 01:09 AM

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. I had to use ctrl-f to find Versign errrrr. I keep telling myself at least IDNs went in the top 150.

phio
18th December 2012, 01:20 AM
Happy holidays! :santahat:

bumblebee man
18th December 2012, 08:32 AM

If they process 30 per week it doesn't make a lot of a difference.

Drewbert
18th December 2012, 08:50 AM
IF.

Every time they doing something, it breaks and they have to stop for a while and fix it.

The application system.
The draw earlier today (ballots were slipping out of the slot onto the table when they turned the handle and they'd have to put those ballots back in and try again).

My fear is they'll do the first batch (with no Verisign/PIR gtld's) and discover a problem they hadn't foreseen, and - after those 30 applications have gone through - will have to stop the process for a couple of months while they fix it.

bumblebee man
18th December 2012, 09:15 AM
IF.

Every time they doing something, it breaks and they have to stop for a while and fix it.

The application system.
The draw earlier today (ballots were slipping out of the slot onto the table when they turned the handle and they'd have to put those ballots back in and try again).

My fear is they'll do the first batch (with no Verisign/PIR gtld's) and discover a problem they hadn't foreseen, and - after those 30 applications have gone through - will have to stop the process for a couple of months while they fix it.

Yeah, it's bloody ICAN'T after all.

Drewbert
18th December 2012, 09:37 AM
6) คอม – #58
7) Ком – #61

I expect these two will provide the most "instant traffic". Your thoughts?

IdnHost
18th December 2012, 11:45 AM

Im not sure if this was already posted here but, while we are on the topic of icann screw ups lol... ICANN apologizes for the streaming of pornography

http://domaingang.com/domain-news/icann-apologizes-for-the-streaming-of-pornography/

yanni
18th December 2012, 12:36 PM

You left this one out:

.كوم

bwhhisc
18th December 2012, 01:03 PM

What is the catalyst? I sure hope you are right, but I am not as optiomistic unless yandex/ google rank the .idn and our "parked pages" get up to page 1 where people click from curiosity. IMO our best hopes are the media hype to get developers interested in putting real content under IDNs and they take off in popularity.

Drewbert
18th December 2012, 01:37 PM
What is the catalyst?

User expectations.

Based on the number of people already typing domains with cyrillic and thai versions of .com into search engines, logic dictates a large number of people will be attempting the same into the nav bar. Pretty soon with success.

Drewbert
18th December 2012, 01:41 PM
You left this one out:

.كوم

That'll be nice. We'll already know by the time that one hits the root, hopefully.

alpha
18th December 2012, 01:57 PM
User expectations.

Based on the number of people already typing domains with cyrillic and thai versions of .com into search engines, logic dictates a large number of people will be attempting the same into the nav bar. Pretty soon with success.

And the JPN com?

chrisofmel
18th December 2012, 02:17 PM
IF.

The application system.

my exact thinking, they will experience some glitches on first batch and delay the process for the following batch.

bwhhisc
18th December 2012, 03:51 PM
User expectations.

They type in and Opera does the auto complete to .com. Still not convinced we will see the surge in traffic, but I sure hope you are right. :) I do think that it will be an attention getter when they see com resolving to cryllic .kom.

chrisofmel
18th December 2012, 04:00 PM
i thought i recall reading icann saying it would launch 20 new gtld's a week? not the 30 everyone here is mentioning. i cant seem to find it now.

Rubber Duck
18th December 2012, 04:22 PM
i thought i recall reading icann saying it would launch 20 new gtld's a week? not the 30 everyone here is mentioning. i cant seem to find it now.

They have set a limit of 1000 a year which is an average of 20 per week, but to achieve that average they will have to have a higher target.

domainguru
18th December 2012, 04:32 PM
They have set a limit of 1000 a year which is an average of 20 per week, but to achieve that average they will have to have a higher target.

From ICANN Toronto meeting:

----------
------------------
"So when your number comes up you can select the earliest available appointment, or you can select a later appointment. If you don't think you're going to be ready for a couple of months you pick a date in a couple of months. So this is intended to let applicants pick the earliest priority then can and want to, but also defer if they want to, too, and kind of set a date for when they're going to start pre-delegation testing and then getting into the root zone.

So there'll be about 20 or a few more appointments per week, about four a day, and we'll give them weekends off, or to do rework. And if you do the arithmetic it matches up pretty well to a thousand a year, so that's the spot at which these things are metered first. And I said applicants can make an appointment anytime to suit their own circumstances. So if you miss your appointment or fail your test, then you go back and make another appointment. If you pass, you go on to the next step."
-------------------

Don't see a problem in the maths ..... 20 TLDs a week (minimum they say) for up to 50 weeks .... and if they happen to get to 1000 before 365 days are up, they have a rest.

Of course the chances of ICANN processing 20 new TLDs a week are ..... let's not even speculate on. Let's just sit back and see what happens. Pray it is ICANN for a change not ICANT

alpha
18th December 2012, 05:27 PM

----------
------------------
"So when your number comes up you can select the earliest available appointment, or you can select a later appointment. If you don't think you're going to be ready for a couple of months you pick a date in a couple of months. So this is intended to let applicants pick the earliest priority then can and want to, but also defer if they want to, too, and kind of set a date for when they're going to start pre-delegation testing and then getting into the root zone.

So there'll be about 20 or a few more appointments per week, about four a day, and we'll give them weekends off, or to do rework. And if you do the arithmetic it matches up pretty well to a thousand a year, so that's the spot at which these things are metered first. And I said applicants can make an appointment anytime to suit their own circumstances. So if you miss your appointment or fail your test, then you go back and make another appointment. If you pass, you go on to the next step."
-------------------

Don't see a problem in the maths ..... 20 TLDs a week (minimum they say) for up to 50 weeks .... and if they happen to get to 1000 before 365 days are up, they have a rest.

Of course the chances of ICANN processing 20 new TLDs a week are ..... let's not even speculate on. Let's just sit back and see what happens. Pray it is ICANN for a change not ICANT

Yeah so 5-6 weeks to process the entire idn list. And let's face it, if its going to go tits up, it will do so on the 1st few, but like us there will be 1000 other applicants urging icann to get their shit together.

Call me naive, but i think Fadi is not seeing this as a risk, but more as an opportunity to prove they can do it right under his stewardship

Rubber Duck
18th December 2012, 06:45 PM
Well, however inept there approach or totally incomprehensible their stated objectives are, they generally follow them with a dogged determination that is normally only associated with the clinically insane.

The point is we are not only on their agenda but close to the top of their agenda. Furthermore, we are now some of a cause celebre. With so much credibility at stake, at a time when that credibilty has never been more crucial to the preservation of priviledge, be assured this is going to happen, and within a reasonable timeframe. Sure there will be more fiascos like the one we witnessed last night, but nothing is going stop this train now!

The only issue outstanding really is how much we are going to get ripped of for our reservations in the first class compartment.

Drewbert
18th December 2012, 09:48 PM
And the JPN com?

No idea. Have you seen a lot of evidence of users typing in .コム domains into search (do they show up a lot in search autocomplete?)

TrafficDomainer
18th December 2012, 10:10 PM
6) คอม – #58
7) Ком – #61

Can`t speak for .Ком as it is in unfamilar territory for me, but for .คอม I think there is a good chance of a spike in traffic. Many Thais are already spelling the entire domains in Thai characters when searching for websites appending with .คอม . A lot more Thais are now also aware of the existence of Thai IDN.com domains as they are ranking very well on top google SERP for many top thai keywords.

TrafficDomainer
18th December 2012, 10:46 PM

Drewbert
18th December 2012, 11:07 PM
Let's not forget Afilias is in the mix with .信息 at #60

Also, there is the possibility that the Verisign/PIR/Affilias applications will be processed faster through the system as they have already passed the Registry approval bits...

Background screening
Registry Services Screening
Financial Evaluation
Technical & Operational Evaluation

If other applications are slowed up by any of those, we might see the variant ones emerge earlier at the other end?

Discuss.

See: http://www.domainnamenews.com/new-gtlds/report-from-the-icann-prioritization-draw-for-new-gtlds/22239

Drewbert
18th December 2012, 11:22 PM
So is the ticket # your appointment slot for final contract signing, or your appointment # for another part of the process?

Rubber Duck
19th December 2012, 01:23 AM
So is the ticket # your appointment slot for final contract signing, or your appointment # for another part of the process?

From what I remember reading, it is applied at each bottleneck.

clipper
19th December 2012, 05:37 AM

----------
------------------
"...So if you miss your appointment or fail your test, then you go back and make another appointment. If you pass, you go on to the next step."
-------------------

As I understand it, Verisign is providing backend services for a lot of the companies that applied for gTLDs, many of which have no experience with root nameservers, or directly dealing with ICANN. If any of their industrial clients are ahead of their own TLDs, nothing's preventing them from quietly dragging their feet or neglecting to cross a t or dot an i to push them back a few weeks, or months.

Rubber Duck
19th December 2012, 06:45 AM
As I understand it, Verisign is providing backend services for a lot of the companies that applied for gTLDs, many of which have no experience with root nameservers, or directly dealing with ICANN. If any of their industrial clients are ahead of their own TLDs, nothing's preventing them from quietly dragging their feet or neglecting to cross a t or dot an i to push them back a few weeks, or months.

I think that is unlikely, but what might be possible is for them Batch the whole lot together for many steps of the process as all the answers will be the same, and they do have slots in the top 20.

clipper
19th December 2012, 08:44 AM
I think that is unlikely, but what might be possible is for them Batch the whole lot together for many steps of the process as all the answers will be the same, and they do have slots in the top 20.

Why do you think it unlikely? Unless there is an overriding non-compete agreement that precluded the ICANN lottery, it would totally be within the realm of Verisign to prioritize its own applications over those of third-party clients if only in the interest of discovery.

By the time clients realized that they were put on the back-burner by Verisign the IDNgTLD wars would be over.

Regarding the batch processing idea, I would hope that that is the process for each of their proprietary applications.

There's no need to re-create the wheel; but, on the other hand, there's no need to rush the blueprints over to your competitors, either.

Rubber Duck
19th December 2012, 09:03 AM
Why do you think it unlikely? Unless there is an overriding non-compete agreement that precluded the ICANN lottery, it would totally be within the realm of Verisign to prioritize its own applications over those of third-party clients if only in the interest of discovery.

By the time clients realized that they were put on the back-burner by Verisign the IDNgTLD wars would be over.

Regarding the batch processing idea, I would hope that that is the process for each of their proprietary applications.

There's no need to re-create the wheel; but, on the other hand, there's no need to rush the blueprints over to your competitors, either.

To be honest by the time the question and answers go back and forward to third parties, even with the best will in the World, they are still going to be light-years behind Verisign's own applicatons.

clipper
19th December 2012, 09:20 AM
To be honest by the time the question and answers go back and forward to third parties, even with the best will in the World, they are still going to be light-years behind Verisign's own applicatons.

Agreed, assuming the kind of will that no for-profit entity has.;)

Drewbert
25th November 2013, 02:51 PM
From PDF:

What a difference THAT made.

First 4 delegations are IDN's, every one since then, to date, has been ASCII.

Waste. Of. Time.

AWS
25th November 2013, 03:02 PM
Not my fault ;)