PDA

View Full Version : IDN Give Away IDEA ???

thegenius1
26th May 2006, 06:54 PM
edit

burnsinternet
26th May 2006, 07:56 PM
I emailed a couple of companies with my bad regs and offered them up. No return email. Nothing. If they ask before I drop the names, I will give them up.

They didn't show any interest in what they saw as:

"xn--gibberish.com"

Remember that we are on planet IDN.

thegenius1
26th May 2006, 08:06 PM
edit

grubstaker
26th May 2006, 08:49 PM
Not a bad idea. I have to admit I shamefully have maxell.com and olympus.com in Japanese... oh and don't forget yamaha.net in which I was thouroughly flogged by my fellow forum members by naively trying to sell it as an excited newbie!:p

burnsinternet
26th May 2006, 09:04 PM
Groan... I'd almost rather not remember those regs. Posting them would be painful. I admire your courage!

thegenius1
26th May 2006, 09:11 PM
edit

Drewbert
26th May 2006, 09:16 PM
I'd be running an idea like that past someone like JB before going public with it

Just in case there's a downside you haven't thought about.

jose
26th May 2006, 09:17 PM
I have уаноо.com lol.(100% cirylic) Get's a lot of traffic.

burnsinternet
26th May 2006, 09:24 PM
I'd be running an idea like that past someone like JB before going public with it

Just in case there's a downside you haven't thought about.

I'll wait. I don't want an ambulance chaser picking up the list and suing me. We should know more long before these drop.

thegenius1
26th May 2006, 09:58 PM
edit

burnsinternet
26th May 2006, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=thegenius1]I have a question Why would you get sued if we Are Staking that these domains where REgd by Mistake and are going to turm them over to the RightFull Owner ? Sounds like you want to hold them to get sued ? QUOTE]

I have already tried to give them to the companies with no response. If IE7 is still beta in a year and the companies don't want them, why shouldn't we make PPC income on them in the mean time? I am not getting rich from it, but I can at least get my reg $$ back some day.

thegenius1
26th May 2006, 10:45 PM
edit

mulligan
26th May 2006, 10:47 PM
I have a question Why would you get sued if we Are Staking that these domains where REgd by Mistake and are going to turm them over to the RightFull Owner ? Sounds like you want to hold them to get sued ? Doesnt make sense to me , And Drew who is JB ?
Its a good idea and could be a great way to get some publicity. Whether there could be problems or not I dont know.

JB --> J Berryhill -- Resident DNF Lawyer
http://www.dnforum.com/member-jberryhill.html

Ask him, see what he says, this is his field

burnsinternet
26th May 2006, 10:53 PM
Simmer down. I just want to hear from a lawyer first.

Also, maybe I am cynical, but what if they ignore you, too? Or those who are not educated on IDNs use it for bad PR and make us look like thieves even though we are not? I really think we should approach this cautiously and, then, throw the offer out around the time of the IE7 release.

Low profile is not a bad thing right now.

thegenius1
26th May 2006, 10:57 PM
edit

burnsinternet
26th May 2006, 11:05 PM
Honestly You keep contradicting yourself , You have already Tried to do this on your own so why would you be scared Now ? You must have a awefull lot of " mistakes " on your hands.

Seems to me the legal issues would arrive when you try to earn from these names , not give them back

May I mention that we obviously disagree and that it is OK for people to disagree?

You think they will listen. I think they will ignore us until IE7 comes out.

You think we should tell them. I tried that. I also think it is a risk to POST AN OPEN LIST without legal counsel.

That is not a contradiction. It is a difference of opinion. I respect your idea but I suggest we execute it differently. No big deal.

I still admire you and what you have done here. Are we cool?

And like Duck Said earliar today in another thread , you only face a issue when you try to fight things , What are we fighting ?

We aren't. You just added this. Are we cool?

thegenius1
26th May 2006, 11:09 PM
edit

Drewbert
26th May 2006, 11:33 PM
95% of the worlds litigation attorneys reside in the USA.

One of them might be readin ghtis thread, rubbing his hands with glee.

Glee! I tell you, Glee! *

*Note that this sentence, even though the attorney is shouting Glee, only has ONE exclamation mark.

burnsinternet
26th May 2006, 11:35 PM
I understand where you are coming from and Yes we are cool , I dont take anything personal , This is the best opportunity on the planet , No time over here to be mad at people. But it just seems to me that if we are openly saying we are going to give them back whats the big deal , its a whole lot more safer then trying to be discreet about having them and they come knocking or sending lawyers , But in the intrest of a few people lets Talk To JB

Im just trying to figuire out what they can sue for ? the name ?

And like Duck Said earliar today in another thread , you only face a issue when you try to fight things , What are we fighting ?
Meaning fighting the lawyers , I didnt mean amongst each other ...

But you do have a good point it may hold alot more wieght presenting it right before IE7 realeases

I have been sued for names that were really a stretch or that I didn't reg. It's not so bad when you don't care about the reg anyway. And I have a nice letter from Mi---soft suitable for framing (along with hundreds of pages of documents and an invitation to the World Court or something like that)!

It does make me wary of posting it on an open forum when my original "Do you want this?" email was probably deleted. Finally, it could work as PR tool at the outset of IE7 so that people might get interested at a point when they could use it instead of letting them forget us.

*Note that this sentence, even though the attorney is shouting Glee, only has ONE exclamation mark.

That is my other worry.

thegenius1
26th May 2006, 11:41 PM

What thread :confused: ? lol understood

Rubber Duck
26th May 2006, 11:45 PM

Yes, and that is one of the other main reasons China will out grow the US. Gates is supposed to be Microsoft's chief software architect. When he isn't doing presentations, he is in court. No wonder Vista will be about 5 yrs late!

jose
27th May 2006, 06:06 AM
Yes, and that is one of the other main reasons China will out grow the US. Gates is supposed to be Microsoft's chief software architect. When he isn't doing presentations, he is in court. No wonder Vista will be about 5 yrs late!

Right! And Europe has just decided to exclude software from patent law!
Finaly! I just can't believe! Hooray! Hooray to Europe!

http://management.silicon.com/government/0,39024677,39159120,00.htm