PDA

View Full Version : Video/Transcript: ICANN 45 Highlights with GNSO Council Member, Jennifer Wolfe

29th October 2012, 12:55 PM
And the anticipation right now is that those strings that are clear path will start to launch in the second half of 2013. So, that is a very accelerated timeframe, and one that we think is very fair.

I neglected to mention, and this is important too, that there was an agreement across the board that the IDNs – those strings – that are for Internationalized domain names, those will actually go first; and I think that is really fair. They think that they have been missing a spot in the Internet, and so to let them go first makes a lot of sense to me; so I was glad to see that happen.
Michael: Okay. So was that voted on? Is that a done deal that the IDNs are going to get priority over other TLDs?
Jennifer: They will. Yes, that is in order. Right, absolutely.
Michael: Okay. Was there any dissent about the IDNs getting priority?
Jennifer: I do not think so. I mean I think everyone seems to have a sense of that is really one of the reasons for the GTLD Program and that they have not had a space to have that in the past. I think there was more concern over some of the smaller applicants. Maybe somebody has two or three applications versus somebody who has three hundred applications, and they felt like: “Well, why should my three be up against their three hundred? Shouldn’t we have some waiting?” But really, if you think about it, you got to just make every application equal. I mean that is the most fair way to do. Every application has the same shot at being number one as being number eighteen hundred or nineteen hundred. So, I think it was a really strong resolution as apposed to any sort of other scheme to prioritize when we have so many.
Michael: So, I understand the process that you said that they were going to number them all, and then there was going to be a lottery, and they will go through the numbers in order based on the evaluation and the conflicts and if there are more than applications in for that TLD. But, basically, are you saying that there is going to be two lotteries – they are going to split out the IDNs separate from the other TLDs and then go through those first?
Jennifer: I am not sure if there is going to be a separate lottery for the IDNs? I will have to go back and look at that. My understanding was that IDNs were just sort of off; they were going to go first. There are not really that many of them, so that is probably much more manageable. And then you are talking about over one thousand of all of the other strings. So, I think that that is the way it is, but I would want to double check that that is procedurally how it is working.
Michael: Okay. But for domain name investors or people that are from countries where IDNs are important to them, domain investors should look at the IDNs first. They will be the first ones coming to market.
Jennifer: Absolutely. If you were looking to buy out those second string domains right when they become available, those are definitely the ones to start analyzing right now because those will likely start to go live in the latter part of next year. So, investors are at a good time to do your analysis. And actually, I would recommend to reach out to the applicants and have the conversation with them so they know what you are interested in and start to understand what their business plan is and what their timeline is for launch because, once ICANN release you essentially to launch, there is still a lot that technically has to occur before you are actually live.
Michael: Right. Okay. So the IDNs may start coming out as early as second half of 2012 and the rest of the TLDs may start coming out as early as second half of 2013?
Jennifer: Right. Well, no. So, both of them will be the second half of 2013. Did you say 2012?
Michael: I did say 2012. I am sorry. I did write down that incorrectly. So, basically, we are looking at the second half of 2013 for the IDNs and maybe as early as with some of the other TLDs.

http://www.domainsherpa.com/jennifer-wolfe-icann45-interview/

domainguru
29th October 2012, 01:38 PM
If you were looking to buy out those second string domains right when they become available, those are definitely the ones to start analyzing right now because those will likely start to go live in the latter part of next year

Now why didn't anyone here think of that - sounds like a plan .....

IdnHost
29th October 2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks 555 for that. Now all we need im guessing is for verisign to come out the closet with alliasing plans :)

sbe18
29th October 2012, 10:01 PM
Verisign is focused on the Dept of Commerce getting the lube ready on
7% per year price hikes or even losing the contract entirely....

bumblebee man
29th October 2012, 10:10 PM
If you were looking to buy out those second string domains right when they become available, those are definitely the ones to start analyzing right now because those will likely start to go live in the latter part of next year

Now why didn't anyone here think of that - sounds like a plan .....

l:)