PDA

View Full Version : Tina Dam sticks a dagger in IDN's back?

Drewbert
30th October 2012, 11:28 PM
Word is Tina stood up at the public forum at ICANN Toronto and said something like...

"I love IDNs, *however*, people around me are saying ..."

Cue Cyndi Lauper...

squirrel
31st October 2012, 01:37 AM
Yeah she did.

She said that most of the applied for IDN gTLDs were going to benefit speculators (us) whereas other non IDN gTLDs would truly benefit communities, thus would be more deserving of a priority draw.

To be fair she did not try to discredit IDNs, she just wanted to further her own cause (unfortunately she couldnt use the same leverage that IDNs have, i.e the words "unique authoritative root" etc. )

domainguru
31st October 2012, 01:47 AM
I guess that means she is "representing" non-IDN new TLDs ......

Maybe a few members will remove their Tina-tinted spectacles now :-p

Rubber Duck
31st October 2012, 07:13 AM
Yeah, seeing through Tina Dam was another first for The Duck!

alpha
31st October 2012, 08:05 AM
Yeah she did.

She said that most of the applied for IDN gTLDs were going to benefit speculators (us)

it's naive to think that only speculators own IDNs today.

Rubber Duck
31st October 2012, 11:52 AM
Well, if Tina is not a speculator then the only explanation is that she does not have any skin in the game.

31st October 2012, 01:03 PM
Link to the session?

squirrel
31st October 2012, 01:38 PM
http://toronto45.icann.org/node/34215

Jay
31st October 2012, 02:25 PM
Maybe a few members will remove their Tina-tinted spectacles now :-p

Of course you need to consider that maybe she's pissed off with us from hanging crap on her. One of the golden rules of business is don't make enemies when it is unnecessary.

tee1
31st October 2012, 03:09 PM
I believe she's got skin in the game... just not the right skin anymore, isn't she a partner or something with one of the new gltd companies. So when we got good news that IDNs get pushed to front she tries to step on us so maybe her new gtlds rise alittle.

TrafficDomainer
31st October 2012, 03:26 PM
Yeah she did.

She said that most of the applied for IDN gTLDs were going to benefit speculators (us) whereas other non IDN gTLDs would truly benefit communities, thus would be more deserving of a priority draw.

To be fair she did not try to discredit IDNs, she just wanted to further her own cause (unfortunately she couldnt use the same leverage that IDNs have, i.e the words "unique authoritative root" etc. )

What an irony, a former IDN program director back stabbing IDNs and trying to stall it. She failed in her role to get IDN gTLDs fasttracked when ICANN initially announced that the timing of the introduction of IDN ccTLDs and gTLDs shouldn't advantage/disadvantage the other. Although to be fair to her, it wasn't totally her responsibility but she didn't seem to help advance it either. Glad she and the old management are no longer around. Putting down the prioritization of IDNs now is like screaming her own incompetence when she was in power.

squirrel
31st October 2012, 05:20 PM
Just to be clear, from what I remember, she wasn't so much putting down IDNs but trying to justify prioritizing her .music (?) application

TrafficDomainer
31st October 2012, 07:23 PM
Just to be clear, from what I remember, she wasn't so much putting down IDNs but trying to justify prioritizing her .music (?) application

Thanks Squirrel. In my opinion, if she wanted her .music prioritized, she should make a case on its merits instead of attacking why IDN should not be prioritized (simply because in "her opinion" it is going to benefit "speculators"). It's like when you go for a job interview, you should make a case why you should be hired first instead of making a case about why your competition should not be hired first.

It was great that Fadi made it clear during the Toronto Reflection interview that the reasons IDNs are being prioritized were because of public interest and global outreach.

Emil
31st October 2012, 07:35 PM
in general, it is a failing strategy to blow out a candle that is brighter than yours only to make your candle shine brighter. Ironically, it is also at the same time confirms the fact that the other candle does shine brighter!

must be the effects of the strorm that made me think so deep here with all this symbolism

domainguru
31st October 2012, 08:47 PM
I believe she's got skin in the game... just not the right skin anymore, isn't she a partner or something with one of the new gltd companies. So when we got good news that IDNs get pushed to front she tries to step on us so maybe her new gtlds rise alittle.

She's probably a "stakeholder" in several of them. No point quitting ICANN just before all the new TLDs come out and not reaping the harvest is there.

Obviously saw no profit in IDNs because we grabbed all the good ones, nothing she could make money advising on.

If I sound harsh, sorry, its just I saw through her from the beginning, and then the sudden "departure" confirmed the suspicions.

Rubber Duck
31st October 2012, 10:19 PM

In which case she is both a Speculator and a Hypocryte.

sbe18
1st November 2012, 12:22 AM
She was always straight on the cctld's.
GTLD's were not in her portfolio.

Verisign/ Cnnic were more in control of the snail pace of IDN.IDN for gtld's than ICANN or Tina individually.

speculator comments is pot/kettle black though....oh well...

Wot
1st November 2012, 07:48 AM

Specocryte? ;)

domainguru
1st November 2012, 09:04 AM
She was always straight on the cctld's.
GTLD's were not in her portfolio.

Verisign/ Cnnic were more in control of the snail pace of IDN.IDN for gtld's than ICANN or Tina individually.

speculator comments is pot/kettle black though....oh well...

"She had nothing to do with gTLDs" .... tell that to all the people they are paying her for precisely that expertise this very moment. They might want a discount :-p

Come on, she used ICANN as a stepping stone, a chance to get all the right contacts and then jump ship at the most au$picous time so she could sell her services to precisely those people wanting to get new gTLDs approved by her former bosses.

But to be frank, I don't have a great problem with that. Its capitalism. What I did find sad and a tad embarassing at the time was how some people here wanted to cozy up to her and seemed to think somehow because she was a decent-looking woman, she would be our "friend" and have our best interests at heart.

Clearly neither was true.

I won't rake over the threads but there were many awkward attempts at flattery towards her. She's an astute business woman at the end of the day. Its not the 1950's.

alpha
1st November 2012, 09:15 AM
or this (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pussy%20blind&defid=4267316)

alpha
1st November 2012, 01:39 PM

You'll see IDNs too in that reverse report. link (http://reversewhois.domaintools.com/tina-dam)

TrafficDomainer
1st November 2012, 04:30 PM
FWIW, compare her position now to the time she was interviewed on IDNBLOG (http://idnblog.com/2011/12/04/exclusive-qa-with-tina-dam/):

(bolding mine)

Q: In your CNN interview (http://idnblog.com/2010/05/03/internet-shake-up-cnn-segment/) you stated that “just as we’re used to seeing .com today and .info . . . those can become internationalized as well, so that will be one of the next steps.” How and when do you think this will happen?

A: As you know I was referring to the new gTLD Program, which had not been approved at that time. So this is really a question for the gTLD Registries. Some have announced that they will go for several transliterations or translations for their existing TLD. Hopefully processing of their applications will go fast (maybe ICANN can “fast track” or give priority to IDN gTLDs if they need to batch applications) and the launches will follow immediately thereafter. I believe best guesses today is that we will see the first new gTLDs in the root-zone in around Q1 2013.

Q: For proactive IDN community members, what steps can be taken to submit comments to ICANN and expedite the introduction of IDN gTLDs (i.e. .com-in-IDN)?

A: I really do doubt there is much that can be done to make things go faster, but here is a few thoughts. The one suggestion that came to mind was to propose to ICANN to (if the volume of applications is so high that there is a need to do batches) let the internationalized gTLD applications go in an early batch.

domainguru
3rd November 2012, 09:46 PM
or this (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pussy%20blind&defid=4267316)

lol. I knew you'd have a term for it.

As you can imagine, living in Thailand, there's a disproportionate number of males with this particular condition - certainly until the money runs out, then the p**y-tinted spectacles have to come off

domainguru
3rd November 2012, 09:49 PM
FWIW, compare her position now to the time she was interviewed on IDNBLOG (http://idnblog.com/2011/12/04/exclusive-qa-with-tina-dam/):

(bolding mine)

Q: In your CNN interview (http://idnblog.com/2010/05/03/internet-shake-up-cnn-segment/) you stated that “just as we’re used to seeing .com today and .info . . . those can become internationalized as well, so that will be one of the next steps.” How and when do you think this will happen?

A: As you know I was referring to the new gTLD Program, which had not been approved at that time. So this is really a question for the gTLD Registries. Some have announced that they will go for several transliterations or translations for their existing TLD. Hopefully processing of their applications will go fast (maybe ICANN can “fast track” or give priority to IDN gTLDs if they need to batch applications) and the launches will follow immediately thereafter. I believe best guesses today is that we will see the first new gTLDs in the root-zone in around Q1 2013.

Q: For proactive IDN community members, what steps can be taken to submit comments to ICANN and expedite the introduction of IDN gTLDs (i.e. .com-in-IDN)?

A: I really do doubt there is much that can be done to make things go faster, but here is a few thoughts. The one suggestion that came to mind was to propose to ICANN to (if the volume of applications is so high that there is a need to do batches) let the internationalized gTLD applications go in an early batch.

Yeah sure she's changed her tune completely, but then again her paymasters have changed as well. And clearly her new paymasters aren't going for IDNs in a big way ;)