PDA

View Full Version : 4.cn & idn

joel
1st November 2012, 01:40 PM
Hello

I can not understand why there is so much latin dn and so few idn on 4.cn ....
:eek:

Is that only historical ?

alpha
1st November 2012, 01:43 PM
Hello

I can not understand why there is so much latin dn and so few idn on 4.cn ....
:eek:

Is that only historical ?

searching for xn-- shows there are just short of 5,000 entries.

maybe all of China learnt to speak English fluently

squirrel
1st November 2012, 02:39 PM
For several years 4.cn refused to list IDNs

Wot
1st November 2012, 03:44 PM
4.cn has only recently recognized the potential market for IDN as the owner was very much an ASCII man and the concentration was on pinyin and numbers,fortunately changing now.

66.cn & ename.cn have been in to IDN for some time but none of the Chinese platforms give priority to IDN as yet but not long before one of them takes the lead.

1st November 2012, 05:10 PM
i asked them about idns and they said idns are not very popular in china maybe that explains why.

why wouldn't they popular?

there're cheaper and better terms are available. easy to brand and memorise.

hope this is just slow learning

i think chinese idn .coms have enormous potential.

think about it that way:

In 10 years china may have a middle class of over 500 million people with internet access who will shop online in mandarin compare that with japan, russia or germany.

the chinese e-commerce market will be bigger than in the US
the chinese love .coms
china is already the biggest mobile market the world

if you own a powerful generic term for a big market the sky could be the limit IMO.

joel
2nd November 2012, 06:04 AM
Got a talk with a chinese girl who thought idn.idn (ctld) would be more natural to them than idn.com or latin.com or even latin.cn
Nowdays mobile allow to search by talking (instead of learning & typing pinyin), So maybe one day pinyin won't be necessery anymore, a good point for idn expension.
I would love some Chinese people to share their point of view on that

Wot
2nd November 2012, 07:36 AM
IDN in China is a slow but natural progression. Still not in mainstream but starting to see some major companies like McD's using them that will soon bring them in to the public knowledge.

Outside of the major cities spoken/written English is quite rare so a medium that will allow the Chinese to use their own language is bound to succeed.

The main factor is simply time. I also believe that once the Chinese run with it the nationalistic pride will see them embrace IDN.中国 but simply my opinion.

spacey
2nd November 2012, 11:35 PM
what is the best and cheapest registry for .cn

I received and email from europeregistry.com stating local presence is no longer necessary but when i tried an idn it was not accepted so that got me to wondering where is the best/safest/cheapest place for a .cn idn reg

.....any views ?

3rd November 2012, 11:21 AM
we would need opinions from chinese domainers

Wot
3rd November 2012, 12:01 PM
what is the best and cheapest registry for .cn

I received and email from europeregistry.com stating local presence is no longer necessary but when i tried an idn it was not accepted so that got me to wondering where is the best/safest/cheapest place for a .cn idn reg

.....any views ?

I think support would be an important factor after the recent undundling of .cn and the bungling of a number of registrars that has not been resolved by most of them.

DD24 seem to be more on top of it than most and not OTT pricing but of course now you have to pay x 2. :(:

spacey
4th November 2012, 01:57 AM
I think support would be an important factor after the recent undundling of .cn and the bungling of a number of registrars that has not been resolved by most of them.

DD24 seem to be more on top of it than most and not OTT pricing but of course now you have to pay x 2. :(:

cool , thanks

and they do idn's ?

Wot
4th November 2012, 02:49 AM
cool , thanks

and they do idn's ?

Yes.

blastfromthepast
4th November 2012, 04:37 AM
Vested interest.