PDA

View Full Version : Apparently it has not yet been decided that IDNs will go first.

Drewbert
14th November 2012, 09:19 PM
http://www.domainnamenews.com/icann-policy/icann-new-gtld-draw-to-take-place-on-dec-17th/21646

Last line...

"Apparently it has not yet been decided that IDNs will go first."

ICANN slide presentation pdf:

http://newgtlds.icann.org/sites/default/files/webinar-14nov12-en.pdf

No mention of IDN's in there so something must have been said during the Q&A at the end of the session.

sbe18
14th November 2012, 10:43 PM
I take the new CEO at his word.

IDN's wouldn't be part of the draw if they are pulled out in total to go first.

yanni
14th November 2012, 11:31 PM
IDN's wouldn't be part of the draw if they are pulled out in total to go first.

Makes sense.

Drewbert
15th November 2012, 07:55 AM
So are they part of the draw?

I suppose the answer is hidden behind the firewall?

g
15th November 2012, 02:02 PM
it is only a matter of time

IDNs will go stream one day soon

Important thing is to get as many as premium IDNs before the market matures

concentrate on popular languages like arabic, russian and japanese

I do not follow or read anything from ICANN ... it is useless to wait them

squirrel
15th November 2012, 03:06 PM
Perhaps ICANN is waiting to make an official statement about the public comments received with respect to the proposed plan of a drawing. (The comment period closed on Nov. 9th)

I can't see Chehadé backtracking on this. He was so pro internationalization of ICANN (processes and TLDs).. he was almost crying when he discussed the african initiative at ICANN Toronto.

squirrel
15th November 2012, 03:10 PM

I suppose the answer is hidden behind the firewall?

From discussions at ICANN Toronto, it seemed clear that there would not be 2 drawings (one for IDNs and one for the rest). It looks like IDN will just be ahead and processed as one group. If I remember correctly ICANN has the ability to evaluate, test and delegate up to x amount of TLDs per week and the number of IDNs is inferior to x.

domainguru
15th November 2012, 04:47 PM
From discussions at ICANN Toronto, it seemed clear that there would not be 2 drawings (one for IDNs and one for the rest). It looks like IDN will just be ahead and processed as one group. If I remember correctly ICANN has the ability to evaluate, test and delegate up to x amount of TLDs per week and the number of IDNs is inferior to x.

Is there nobody to ask to clarify this? Doesn't ICANN have a press office or anything? Tina used to be quite helpful on this sort of thing but ... ahem, we won't even go there.

But it seems like such a straightforward question.

squirrel
15th November 2012, 04:54 PM
wow Pritz resigned from his CSO position, stayw with ICANN but will not deal with new gTLDs anymore

squirrel
15th November 2012, 05:04 PM
Lots of rumors on twitter at the moment, Van Couvering of Minds + Machine saying some interesting stuff was revealed at an ICANN meeting occurring now (?) apparently no one will say a word about it now because it would not be fair to "corporate people who need prior clearance"

squirrel
15th November 2012, 06:35 PM
http://www.domainnamenews.com/icann-policy/icann-new-gtld-draw-to-take-place-on-dec-17th/21646

sbe18
15th November 2012, 11:40 PM
if there is not a sex angle like the Savile row or the Petreaus kerfuffle...

ho hum.....

;0

tee1
16th November 2012, 01:17 AM
This may just be because the people on the call weren't up to date on this topic, which appeared to be a case with a number of the questions. :rolleyes:

Drewbert
16th November 2012, 07:03 AM
wow Pritz resigned from his CSO position, stayw with ICANN but will not deal with new gTLDs anymore

Due to a conflict of interest apparently. At least he has the honour to resign - many wouldn't.

http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-15nov12-en.htm

http://news.dot-nxt.com/2012/11/15/icann-senior-executive-quits-o

21st November 2012, 04:34 PM
This http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/prioritization-draw came out today and does not specifically approve or deny IDN's go first like the proposed plan is suggesting.

It either means that they go first and the proposed plan ( http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/drawing-prioritization-10oct12-en.htm ) was accepted or it means they are not going first and ICANN didn't feel it is necessary to inform anyone the original plan was not accepted.

Anyone cares to guess which is it?

squirrel
21st November 2012, 04:36 PM

Avtal

:-p

tee1
21st November 2012, 05:06 PM

They are going first. :santahat:

TrafficDomainer
21st November 2012, 06:59 PM
My guess is IDNs will go first. So far the new CEO appears to be very transparent and clear in communicating his moves. Since he hasn't come out to say that IDNs are no longer going first, I assume the original plan is on course. His reputation is on the line here.

Drewbert
21st November 2012, 10:04 PM
But if IDN's were not part of the draw, wouldn't there be a "IDN applicants do not need to partake in the draw" notice somewhere on that page. Seems to be a bit strange telling people to show up in a hotel at LAX after a 12+ hour flight, only to be told they didn't need to attend.

Still-to-come webinars: We will conduct a webinar on the upcoming Prioritization Draw on 5 December 2012. Keep an eye on our Webinar page for more info.

alpha
22nd November 2012, 12:18 AM
But if IDN's were not part of the draw, wouldn't there be a "IDN applicants do not need to partake in the draw" notice somewhere on that page. Seems to be a bit strange telling people to show up in a hotel at LAX after a 12+ hour flight, only to be told they didn't need to attend.

good point.

so either ICANN are proving their incompetence again by making IDN applicant people fly all that way for nothing

or they are proving their incompetence by backtracking on a previous statement about IDNs going first, yet not actually telling anyone

domainguru
22nd November 2012, 02:25 AM
good point.

so either ICANN are proving their incompetence again by making IDN applicant people fly all that way for nothing

or they are proving their incompetence by backtracking on a previous statement about IDNs going first, yet not actually telling anyone

They can fly out there and pop the champagne together. Sure they can all afford it :clap:

puyang
22nd November 2012, 02:26 AM
IDNs(without objections) going first.
IDNs will be given draw numbers from 1 upto 116. Non-IDNs starting from #117.

tee1
22nd November 2012, 03:39 AM
IDNs(without objections) going first.
IDNs will be given draw numbers from 1 upto 116. Non-IDNs starting from #117.

Welcome to IDNF. about your post is this your opinion or do you have a source for this?

puyang
22nd November 2012, 04:10 AM
Welcome to IDNF. about your post is this your opinion or do you have a source for this?

Doc related to prioritization drawing:
http://toronto45.icann.org/meetings/toronto2012/transcript-prioritization-drawing-17oct12-en.pdf

Page 4:
"We've determined that IDN should go first, so that's part of the proposed model. So the IDNs will go into one bucket of the Draw, have those numbers selected and then the remaining applications would go in the next bucket. There are 116, I think, IDNs currently. "

I've been following this issue for a long time and then registered lots of Chinese domain names.

Drewbert
22nd November 2012, 06:02 AM
Let's hope you're right!

And welcome!

tee1
22nd November 2012, 11:49 AM
http://toronto45.icann.org/meetings/toronto2012/transcript-prioritization-drawing-17oct12-en.pdf

Page 4:
"We've determined that IDN should go first, so that's part of the proposed model. So the IDNs will go into one bucket of the Draw, have those numbers selected and then the remaining applications would go in the next bucket. There are 116, I think, IDNs currently. "

I've been following this issue for a long time and then registered lots of Chinese domain names.

Thank you and yes lets hope you are right :)
thanks for the link and again welcome

domainguru
22nd November 2012, 12:00 PM

Page 4:

Yep, just read the whole doc and its pretty darned clear from the para above - IDNs have their own special "bucket". And that bucket goes first.

The reason IDN applicants have to attend is that its an individual prioritisation
- its not a "batch" thing. So if you are drawn first out of the IDN hat, your application will be at #1 in the application queue. And if you are unfortunate to be drawn last out of the IDN bucket, you will be #116 in the application queue.

But any of those is a whole lot better than being 1500 ......

And that queue order then dictates your progress through the whole process right up to and beyond pre-delegation testing. There are several stages before pre-delegation, but I quote from the pre-delegation section because it specifically mentions how many TLDs are dealt with in a specific time period:

------------------
"So when your number comes up you can select the earliest available appointment, or you can select a later appointment. If you don't think you're going to be ready for a couple of months you pick a date in a couple of months. So this is intended to let applicants pick the earliest priority then can and want to, but also defer if they want to, too, and kind of set a date for when they're going to start pre-delegation testing and then getting into the root zone.

So there'll be about 20 or a few more appointments per week, about four a day, and we'll give them weekends off, or to do rework. And if you do the arithmetic it matches up pretty well to a thousand a year, so that's the spot at which these things are metered first. And I said applicants can make an appointment anytime to suit their own circumstances. So if you miss your appointment or fail your test, then you go back and make another appointment. If you pass, you go on to the next step."
-------------------

So 20 appointments a week, and presuming VeriSign turn up, means the maximum difference in pre-delegation for IDNs will be about 5 to 6 weeks. So whether .com in other languages get drawn first or last out of the IDN bucket really make little difference in the overall scheme of things.

There's plenty more in the doc and I would suggest anyone serious about wanting to understand the upcoming process should read it all. Its not bogged down in tech talk. Quite a nice read actually. And better fun than staring at parking stats :)

Later he says:

------------
We wanted to note again that the objection period will close nine months after the publication date, so that is March 13th (2013). We'll release IDNs first to underline our commitment to the global public interest, international outreach, and like I said the ability of those around the world to use their computers in their own language.

Contract signing will occur, and delegation will occur after Beijing. And we're limiting delegations to 1,000 a year to live up to our commitments that we made to the technical community and governments to ensure the safeguard and stable operation of the domain name system.
------------

There's a Q&A section at the end where Tina tries to object to IDNs going first, well she doesn't strictly object, she says:

"Okay, I'll try to make the analysis for you then online. But I'm not saying don't do the IDNs first; I'm saying maybe add a little bit to it."

And actually there is a bit in the Q&A about why IDN applicants have to turn up at all:

----
Jim Prendergast: So IDN applicants have to participate in the random Draw, buy a ticket, show up in LA, even though they're going first?

Kurt Pritz: I think so, but that's a very good question and we should think about that.
----

And that's all I could find of note. I think I explained the reason why IDN applicants have to attend (because every new TLD needs an exact prioritisation number applied to it) but may Kurt couldn't think of the correct answer on the spur of the moment. Happens to everyone :-p

But be in no doubt everyone. IDNs are going first. Fact.

22nd November 2012, 12:30 PM
Maybe we can get a definitive confirmation on the Dec 5 webinar but it does seem that the proposed plan was accepted and IDN's go first.

bwhhisc
22nd November 2012, 12:31 PM
But be in no doubt everyone. IDNs are going first. Fact.

Good find, nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Any thoughts on why this might/will create substantially more traffic to idn.gtld(com), and what might be Verisigns plan to charge for the "upgrade".

IdnHost
22nd November 2012, 12:42 PM
"We'll release idn's first to underline our commitment to the global public interest..." Im keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the link and welcome!

squirrel
22nd November 2012, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure if this doc is "final" guys, it is the transcript of an Oct. 17th meeting. This is prior the Oct. 18th public forum (where a lot of applicants suggested changes to the drawing) and also prior to the online comment period on the subject which closed on Nov 9th.

22nd November 2012, 12:59 PM
How can the new CEO that studied ICANN for 3 months, and after that 3 month period explained IDN's will go first due to the importance of globalization etc can make a 360 degree turn in a couple weeks time? Will make him look not serious to put it nicely.

He seems very keen on his will to see IDN's go first: (1:14) http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/video/equitable-prioritization-10oct12-en

squirrel
22nd November 2012, 01:04 PM
I agree with you.

Moreover, most if not all applicant comments seemed favorable to the prioritization of IDNs.

I think we're all having this discussion because of a misunderstanding during the ICANN Teleconference

domainguru
22nd November 2012, 01:05 PM
I agree with you.

Moreover, most if not all applicant comments seemed favorable to the prioritization of IDNs.

I think we're all having this discussion because of a misunderstanding during the ICANN Teleconference

Teleconferences were born to confuse.

22nd November 2012, 01:09 PM
I briefly looked through majority if not all of the comments and found 2 that specifically suggested it is not necessary to give incumbent registries an advantage by including the idn's they have applied for earlier then other new TLD's.

More then 15 comments were "IDN positive" by mentioning support and some of the 15 asked to add e.g several geo tld's to the front row together with idn's.

squirrel
22nd November 2012, 01:18 PM
http://twitter.com/jslascary/statuses/271618410025205760

Not expecting an answer but we never know

Drewbert
22nd November 2012, 01:48 PM
Seeing who comes where in the IDN draw will be exciting.

Let's hope .Ком is somewhere near the front.

alpha
22nd November 2012, 02:54 PM
Seeing who comes where in the IDN draw will be exciting.

Let's hope .Ком is somewhere near the front.

I notice in the T&Cs of the draw they attempt to outlaw reselling your draw position. I wonder how likely that is. The guy in last place with a ton of cash is going to be licking his chops at the chump in pole position.

Avtal
22nd November 2012, 04:21 PM
Avtal

Since you asked...

It is obvious that the events of December 17 are irrelevant, as they will quickly be overtaken by the events of December 21, 2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon). So I have no comments on IDN priority in the ICANN lottery.

Avtal

alpha
22nd November 2012, 04:31 PM
Since you asked...

It is obvious that the events of December 17 are irrelevant, as they will quickly be overtaken by the events of December 21, 2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon). So I have no comments on IDN priority in the ICANN lottery.

Avtal

I've renewed my domains into 2013. By my calculations, since leap years are a fairly "recent" thing by Mayan standards, the world should have ended already a few months back.

thegenius1
22nd November 2012, 04:43 PM
I've renewed my domains into 2013. By my calculations, since leap years are a fairly "recent" thing by Mayan standards, the world should have ended already a few months back.

:eek: So I wont need this underground survival shelter I've been working on after all.

domainguru
22nd November 2012, 05:07 PM
I notice in the T&Cs of the draw they attempt to outlaw reselling your draw position. I wonder how likely that is. The guy in last place with a ton of cash is going to be licking his chops at the chump in pole position.

Sure, for the guy that gets ticket #2000, he's certainly going to be wanting an upgrade any which way he can. But for IDNs, about 120 in total, and almost certainly going to get positions #1 to #120, I doubt any trading will go on as it will only be a month to two months difference in launch time between those positions. Might not even be a month or two as I'm sure there will be some "lumping together" in the final launch phases.

Drewbert
22nd November 2012, 11:22 PM

Yeah, so much for "let the market decide".

squirrel
28th November 2012, 10:25 PM
http://domainnamewire.com/2012/11/28/announcement-on-tap-about-which-new-tlds-will-get-priority-treatment-in-icanns-powerball/

official announcement next week

tee1
28th November 2012, 10:27 PM
Christmas is coming early :)
If you asked me a couple months ago, I would have predicted that no particular type of application would get a leg up. But that was before new ICANN CEO Fadi Chehadé announced plans for the lottery system and said that IDNs will be given a priority.

http://domainnamewire.com/2012/11/28/announcement-on-tap-about-which-new-tlds-will-get-priority-treatment-in-icanns-powerball/

Rubber Duck
29th November 2012, 11:03 AM

So IDN Dot Coms are a definite!

Who really gives a Monkey's Ass about the rest?

tee1
29th November 2012, 11:46 AM
So IDN Dot Coms are a definite!

Who really gives a Monkey's Ass about the rest?

you mean the other gtlds apps, couldn't agree more I classify it as filler they need something to do while they enjoy the rest of party festivities

JamesD
29th November 2012, 12:01 PM
Can anyone offer an informed guess as to 'when' all .idn will be in the root?

29th November 2012, 12:23 PM
Based on what i saw and understand if i had to guess i would guess that the first batch of IDN's to go into the root would be around June 20, 2013.

If IDN's will go first as it seems to be, The first 30 at the draw will get the initial evaluation results on March 23,2013

I also heard the new CEO explain that they will begin signing the contracts* and after that it goes to the IANA to get added to the root which is likely anything from 2-6 weeks before added.

* - If i understand correctly unless there are specific changes that need to be added or changed then there is some form of a already prepared 'generic' contract/agreement which hopefully will help insure the legal wording won't be another reason to any lengthy delays.

Another and maybe bigger question is how long after IDN's are in the root users/companies will begin realizing what is now available to them?

I think if we don't begin seeing real and growing signs of native adaptation within 4 months from when a specific IDN.IDN is in the root it may be a good time to start worrying however i still didn't meet anyone who can reasonably explain even vaguely what at this point can lead to a scenario like that e.g in Russia.

alpha
29th November 2012, 12:30 PM
...If IDN's will go first as it seems to be, The first 30 at the draw will get the initial evaluation results on March 23,2013

I also heard the new CEO explain that they will begin signing the contracts* and after that it goes to the IANA to get added to the root which is likely anything from 2-6 weeks before added.

* - If i understand correctly unless there are specific changes that need to be added or changed then there is some form of a already prepared 'generic' contract/agreement which hopefully will help insure the legal wording won't be another reason to any lengthy delays...

so once contracts are signed, you think it will be then that the registries will be likely able to talk about allocation method, prices etc? - or before?

29th November 2012, 12:38 PM
so once contracts are signed, you think it will be then that the registries will be likely able to talk about allocation method, prices etc? - or before?
After the contracts are signed is the safer guess and also likely outcome imo. At least for the incumbent registries.

JamesD
29th November 2012, 01:08 PM
Based on what i saw and understand if i had to guess i would guess that the first batch of IDN's to go into the root would be around June 20, 2013.

If IDN's will go first as it seems to be, The first 30 at the draw will get the initial evaluation results on March 23,2013

* - If i understand correctly unless there are specific changes that need to be added or changed then there is some form of a already prepared 'generic' contract/agreement which hopefully will help insure the legal wording won't be another reason to any lengthy delays.

Another and maybe bigger question is how long after IDN's are in the root users/companies will begin realizing what is now available to them?

I think if we don't begin seeing real and growing signs of native adaptation within 4 months from when a specific IDN.IDN is in the root it may be a good time to start worrying however i still didn't meet anyone who can reasonably explain even vaguely what at this point can lead to a scenario like that e.g in Russia.

Ok, thanks for that - I hope that's correct.

As for your question above, some users are already trying to access the .idn versions - I can only see growth once they're in the root.

29th November 2012, 01:46 PM
Update: ICANN’s board considered a resolution on proritization, including a geographic round robin:
Prioritization of New gTLD Applications
No resolution taken. The New gTLD Program engaged in a discussion on the prioritization of New gTLD applications, including the prioritization of IDNs, and the progress towards the prioritization draw scheduled to be held on 17 December 2012. The New gTLD Program Committee directed the President and CEO to draft a paper exploring the possibility of, as well as the risks and potential mitigation efforts, including a geographical region round robin process within the prioritization draw. The President and CEO noted that it will be important to assure the impeccable operation of the prioritization draw, and considerations of the risks inherent in incorporating a round robin process within the draw must be of primary consideration.