PDA

View Full Version : Greek and latin letters

lbutida
16th November 2012, 03:04 AM
Hi, everybody! I'm new around here...

I've got an issue regarding a specific domain: is that possible to register a domain with greek AND latin letters together, for instance, something like "βθxy.com"?

If yes, how? If not, why?

Best regards,
Leandro Bouffier Utida

alexd
16th November 2012, 08:03 AM
Just wondering what you have in mind with domains like this ??? Phishing automatically springs to mind !

lbutida
16th November 2012, 07:29 PM
Hi, alexd!

I don't know what kind of people you deal with... As I said, I'm new around here... Yesterday I explored this forum, trying to find the answer I'm looking for... What I did realize is that here there is a huge commerce of domains... Nothing against it, but, considering what I've seen, if I had written the name of my company, I wouldn't be surprised if someone would register my domain to sell it back to me for a "small" comission...

With all due respect, alexd, as a premium member you are, there is no "Phishing" intention on my question... The name of my company here in Brazil is composed by the name of a greek letter (intentionally) plus a name... That's all, nothing more...

Now that the intentions here are clear, I'm certain that you, as a premium member, could help me find the answer I'm looking for...

Best regards,
Leandro Bouffier Utida

Avtal
16th November 2012, 10:30 PM
Hello Leandro,

Welcome to the forum! You cannot register .com domains with mixed scripts. See this Verisign document (http://www.verisigninc.com/en_US/products-and-services/domain-name-services/domain-information-center/idn-code-points/registration-rules/index.xhtml), especially Section 3. If you dig more deeply into the document, you can find some exceptions. For instance, you can mix Chinese characters with Latin.

The reason for the prohibition, as you might have guessed, is to prevent phishing. If you owned ebаy.com, where the third letter is the Cyrillic а, not the Latin a, you could confuse people.

Some of the country registries (.kz, .uz, and perhaps .ws) may not enforce this rule as strictly, though in that case you probably have to register your name as punycode.

By the way, the members of this forum specialize in registering, buying, and selling generic-word domains, rather than company names, so hopefully no one would register your company's name and try to sell it back to you. But in any case, since your company name is mixed Latin and Greek, it can't be registered in .com.

Avtal

lbutida
17th November 2012, 11:29 AM
Hello, Avtal!

Thank you for your welcome... And thank you very much for your answer, complete and precise, proper to a Senior Member... It was exactly what I was looking for...

By the way, also thanks for the tip about the members...

Best regards,
Leandro

:)

meghanexp
26th September 2019, 03:00 PM
Try checking this (https://expanish.com/school-barcelona/) out. It helped me with my domain and latin characters.