PDA

View Full Version : How to point out inaccurate translation

Eurorealtor
26th November 2012, 07:46 PM
Hello Members,

this is a great community of Domainers from around the world, buying and
selling domains by many languages. My question is, if you see a domain for
sale here, by your native language and you see an inaccurate description because the seller most likely doesn't speak by the language, should I point it out? and how? Send PM to the seller, or hijack the post and correct the translation? Personally, if I am bidding or buying a domain by a language I don't know, I would appreciate if someone make such a point out, to know what exactly am I buying. Many languages are difficult and sometimes it's hard to make your own research to make sure the post is accurate. Any suggestion, please?

Thanks,
Tomas

Muhammad Mustafa
26th November 2012, 08:04 PM
very nice question I believe, what I personally do is to send seller a PM spotting the translation error and ask him friendly to make it clear to bidders about the mistake, I believe all people here are honest enough and would clear it in the thread for bidders, if the seller won't respond and/or keep the wrong description without making it clear in thread, I'd PM a moderator and explain the situation and ask for his permission first to post on that thread, fair enough for everyone I believe :)

The worst scenario in my opinion is when you find some native post the wrong translation and/or description, I'd call it a pure SCAM, I'd PM a friendly message first, keep an eye on him, if repeated, I'd call a mod and ask for an action against, after all, we remain a small community built on transparency and honesty, if missed, it'd be a mess!

yanni
26th November 2012, 08:09 PM
To add to Muhammad's comment, you'll find that most members here welcome comments by native speakers on their sales threads.

Going the PM route initially would be the preferred method I believe, unless the seller has specifically asked for comments on his thread.

Eurorealtor
26th November 2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks Muhammad and Yanni, that's what I did, I have sent a friendly PM to the seller.

bwhhisc
26th November 2012, 11:55 PM
Hi Tomas....unlike some forums we don't have a policy about posting in a sales thread when it comes to a native speakers pointing out errors, typos, or mis-translations.

If you are not comfortable pm'ing a seller or don't get any response, you can always PM a Moderator. In most cases where there is a translation error by non-native speakers, the sellers will not mind you pointing it out directly on he sales thread.

JamesD
27th November 2012, 07:22 AM
Hi Tomas....unlike some forums we don't have a policy about posting in a sales thread when it comes to a native speakers pointing out errors, typos, or mis-translations.

If you are not comfortable pm'ing a seller or don't get any response, you can always PM a Moderator. In most cases where there is a translation error by non-native speakers, the sellers will not mind you pointing it out directly on he sales thread.

Sloppy... :-p