PDA

View Full Version : How does SEO and IDN domains differ?

newtoidns
4th December 2012, 09:01 PM
Hi

I am new to idn domain names and was wondering how google views them when it come to ranking them,

I know exact matching domain names do help with regards to normal seo and was wondering if this is the case with idn domains,

Thanks

yanni
4th December 2012, 09:08 PM
Yes it is. But for the Russian market (since your first idn is Russian) you really need Yandex and Mail.ru to index your site. And they will, eventually. It may help to create a Yandex.ru webmaster account.

newtoidns
4th December 2012, 09:11 PM
Yes it is. But for the Russian market (since your first idn is Russian) you really need Yandex and Mail.ru to index your site. And they will, eventually. It may help to create a Yandex.ru webmaster account.

Thanks for that,

What i am wondering is how yandex / google etc respond when a EWD which is a IDN and if a EWS IDN helps in SEO placement like normal EWD domain names

yanni
4th December 2012, 09:20 PM
Yes Google and Yandex treat them as regular EMD. A few people here have sites on IDN EMD which place well in the engines. Content, of course, will be your primary factor for placing well, but I'm sure you know that.

newtoidns
4th December 2012, 09:26 PM
Yes Google and Yandex treat them as regular EMD. A few people here have sites on IDN EMD which place well in the engines. Content, of course, will be your primary factor for placing well, but I'm sure you know that.

Hi

Thanks, yes content is king as always.

I might have ago at developing some EWD IDN domain names and see how these rank, would be interesting for me to see how these work out

2nd February 2013, 11:40 AM
google does recognize and display IDNs properly so at least in theory they should rank like ASCII

Avtal
3rd February 2013, 03:51 AM
google does recognize and display IDNs properly so at least in theory they should rank like ASCII

Here's what I wrote in another thread (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/32845-%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B8-com-tahiti.html):

My experience is that google.ru takes EMD into account when ranking Russian IDNs, pretty strongly in some cases. Yandex.ru, on the other hand, does not seem to take EMD into account very much (if at all). However, I get the impression that Google's policies vary from language to language, and Google changes their ranking algorithms all the time.

That is based on my experience creating Russian-language mini-sites. I have noticed, by the way, that although the standard Google text search displays IDNs properly, Google image search displays domain names as punycode.

Avtal

3rd February 2013, 02:50 PM
if you enter that url погода-в-столице.рф

bing displays them as well so it should be ok imo. at least the major search engines seem to recognize them.

LewisH99
1st November 2019, 11:58 AM
When it comes to international SEO (especially within the EU) there are many questions and myths. One of the myths I have heard most often is that you shouldn't use Special characters in domain names or URLs since the search engines can't understand them.

regards,
Lewis