8th December 2012, 04:20 PM
Hi

This is only my second IDN domain name

таити.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahiti

Any ideas on value at all?

Thanks

Still learning the idn side of things

Countries, especially small countries, in foreign scripts, are pretty much a no-no. Unless you know the nationals of the script you are regging in visit the country in large numbers, don't bother.

Russians going to Tahiti - I'm sure some do - but not enough to make it a reg IMHO.

Of course forget all that, Tahiti isn't even a country, just a small island.

Still learning :)

You need to reg / purchase terms that are searched for or brandable in the native script. Don't piss around the edges. You will just end up dropping the names. I know its difficult at this stage of the game, but you are better off buying ok name off a reseller than 10 regges like that.

Just saving you some pain down the line :cool:

newtoidns
8th December 2012, 04:30 PM
Countries, especially small countries, in foreign scripts, are pretty much a no-no. Unless you know the nationals of the script you are regging in visit the country in large numbers, don't bother.

Russians going to Tahiti - I'm sure some do - but not enough to make it a reg IMHO.

Of course forget all that, Tahiti isn't even a country, just a small island.

Still learning :)

You need to reg / purchase terms that are searched for or brandable in the native script. Don't piss around the edges. You will just end up dropping the names. I know its difficult at this stage of the game, but you are better off buying ok name off a reseller than 10 regges like that.

Just saving you some pain down the line :cool:

Hi

Thanks,

Will take that all onboard

Rubber Duck
8th December 2012, 06:20 PM
Yep, what everyone expects to do is fresh reg and flip. The target market of most newbies is those that have been in game five years or more.

Like that is ever going to work!

Domainguru is spot on. Rather than trying to buy and flip third tier, because the secondary market has yet to take off, it makes far more sense to pick up second tier for two or three times reg fee and hold. Flipping at the moment is a really tough call but there are serioius investment opportunities out there.

If you are really serious you will dig deep and buy something that is category defining. But don't come after me because I ain't selling at any price that would make sense for your to offer. But there are opportunities in the auctions. I occassionally dabble myself, but it is barely worth my while because if this goes the way I see things going the extra is only going to account for a few tenths of a percent of the total return at most, but is a further burden on cashflow, which while much better is still not rosy.

newtoidns
8th December 2012, 06:31 PM
My intentions are more to develop,

When you talk about flip third tier or second tier, what do you mean exactly?

newtoidns
8th December 2012, 06:33 PM

Rubber Duck
8th December 2012, 06:38 PM

Second Tier in my parlance is something that has market value but only to high two or low three figures. Could be anything really from a brandable to a secondary term in an important commercial category. Often it would be a top term in a niche sector.

Third tier is something that does not as yet have any market traction.

First tier would be a primary term in any commercial category, but is not necessarily A List. A Lists already go for tens of thousands of Dollars.

newtoidns
8th December 2012, 06:46 PM
I see got you, I was wondering on these points.

1.Seo for EMD idn domain names, is this the way forward as it has had clout with normal domains as it were.

2.In seo terms, how to search engines rank IDN domain names ? If they have good content etc etc do they tend to get ranked in the normal way?

3.Do most of you develop your domain names? I guess this is the best option to generate a income for the domain names and also give any potienal buyer for the site some figures to base any proposed offer

Rubber Duck
8th December 2012, 07:23 PM

1.Seo for EMD idn domain names, is this the way forward as it has had clout with normal domains as it were.

2.In seo terms, how to search engines rank IDN domain names ? If they have good content etc etc do they tend to get ranked in the normal way?

3.Do most of you develop your domain names? I guess this is the best option to generate a income for the domain names and also give any potienal buyer for the site some figures to base any proposed offer

Yes, exact match terms contribute to ranking.

Do I develop?

No, at the moment general the returns are not worth the investment. The day that is true will be the day the aftermarket explodes.

It probably has, however, never made sense to develop top terms without having a serious business at the back of them. Parking Companies probably generate more revenue.

For domains with little potential for natural traffic then development is a must. But this game is getting tougher. The business model generally this involves intercepting Google's own traffic and then selling it back to them. It is not difficult to understand why Google have been making this progressively more difficult.

newtoidns
8th December 2012, 09:03 PM
Say for some idn that are German for example and products, there would be a spending consumer there so it would be worth developing a site and ranking it high for the chosen keywords?

So if say you had good emd idn domains with high exact search for that market they would be worth investing in do you think?

Avtal
8th December 2012, 10:41 PM

My experience is that google.ru takes EMD into account when ranking Russian IDNs, pretty strongly in some cases. Yandex.ru, on the other hand, does not seem to take EMD into account very much (if at all). However, I get the impression that Google's policies vary from language to language, and Google changes their ranking algorithms all the time.

A few months ago, I asked in another thread whether it is worth creating mini-sites for my domains. domainguru said that it is not, because CTR is worse than for parked pages, and mini-sites are more work. My experience confirms this. But perhaps you have something more than a mini-site in mind.

If you are looking for income from your domains, Russian might not be the best place to start. I have had very nice clicks on my Scandinavian sites. Japanese sites are reported to be lucrative as well.

As for your original question about таити.com: There are a couple of things I like about it.

1) It is grammatically correct (something that non-native speakers often get wrong).

2) Because it is a geographic location outside of the Russian Federation, таити.com (and eventually таити.ком) makes more sense than potential rival таити.рф. And because it is not a country name, you don't have to worry about whether the new gTLD guidelines will allow the second-level domain to exist under .ком.

What I don't like about it is that the search volume (GAKT exact match) is a bit low. But in general, I think it is not a bad strategy to register destinations that might appeal to Russian tourists.

I've tended to register third-tier names at reg fee (to hold; I'm not a flipper), rather than purchase second-tier names through this forum, contrary to the advice of the most experienced members here. I'll let you know in a couple of years how that worked out.

Avtal

newtoidns
8th December 2012, 10:58 PM
My experience is that google.ru takes EMD into account when ranking Russian IDNs, pretty strongly in some cases. Yandex.ru, on the other hand, does not seem to take EMD into account very much (if at all). However, I get the impression that Google's policies vary from language to language, and Google changes their ranking algorithms all the time.

A few months ago, I asked in another thread whether it is worth creating mini-sites for my domains. domainguru said that it is not, because CTR is worse than for parked pages, and mini-sites are more work. My experience confirms this. But perhaps you have something more than a mini-site in mind.

If you are looking for income from your domains, Russian might not be the best place to start. I have had very nice clicks on my Scandinavian sites. Japanese sites are reported to be lucrative as well.

As for your original question about таити.com: There are a couple of things I like about it.

1) It is grammatically correct (something that non-native speakers often get wrong).

2) Because it is a geographic location outside of the Russian Federation, таити.com (and eventually таити.ком) makes more sense than potential rival таити.рф. And because it is not a country name, you don't have to worry about whether the new gTLD guidelines will allow the second-level domain to exist under .ком.

What I don't like about it is that the search volume (GAKT exact match) is a bit low. But in general, I think it is not a bad strategy to register destinations that might appeal to Russian tourists.

I've tended to register third-tier names at reg fee (to hold; I'm not a flipper), rather than purchase second-tier names through this forum, contrary to the advice of the most experienced members here. I'll let you know in a couple of years how that worked out.

Avtal

Thanks for the very informative post, i certainly have alot to learn when it comes to IDN domain names,

Drewbert
8th December 2012, 11:05 PM
The "new rich" in Russia like competing with each other for exotic holiday destinations.

The target market here isn't drunken teenagers looking for the cheapest spring break location to get drunk and knocked up, it's VERY rich people.

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with this domain name. It's a keeper.

Drewbert
8th December 2012, 11:15 PM
And because it is not a country name,

Cough, hack, I'm sorry, what?

Avtal
8th December 2012, 11:24 PM
Cough, hack, I'm sorry, what?

Um, it's complicated. From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahiti):

In 1946, Tahiti and the whole of French Polynesia became an overseas territory (Territoire d'outre-mer). Tahitians were granted French citizenship, a right that had been campaigned for by nationalist leader Pouvanaa a Oopa for many years.[13] In 2003, French Polynesia's status was changed to that of an overseas collectivity (Collectivité d'outre-mer) and in 2004 it was declared an overseas country (pays d'outre-mer or POM).

And the term "Oversea Country" has its own Wikipedia article: Overseas_country_of_France (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_country_of_France).

After skimming through all this, I'm still not sure what Tahiti is, but I am pretty sure it isn't a country under the gTLD rules.

Avtal

Drewbert
8th December 2012, 11:30 PM
I guess I'll have to concede since there's a .pf and no .ta

glow
9th December 2012, 12:36 AM
Good domain for this stage. Develop it

TrafficDomainer
9th December 2012, 04:36 AM
I agree with Drew and Glow that this is definitely a keeper. Tahiti is a world class top destination for tourists with lots and lots of money. Hotel rooms can run a thousand dollars a night or more there. Not many tourists can afford to go there, its secluded and in the middle of nowhere but it's a class on its own. It's a low volume high margin business in Tahiti. Google Bora Bora and you will understand why. The place is out of this world.

domainguru
9th December 2012, 04:56 AM
If Russians go there, keep it and develop it. If Russians don't go there, why do either?

Just do your research, Yandex searches, official incoming tourists stats from Tahiti, trends thereof if you can find them.

There are plenty of hotel affiliate programs you can make a killing on ... but only if you get some volume. Research, research, research then develop if there is market.

newtoidns
9th December 2012, 10:40 AM
Hi

Thanks for all your views and advice to a newbie on idn domain names.

My thoughts for the domains is

1.Develop into a site

2.Intergrate a affliate program (Russian) That offers holidays to таити

3.Do SEO on the site and rank high for the keywords.

It will be my first time doing SEO on a idn so this will be another learning curve.

I can outsource the content to a few russian writers that will be seo freindly and pass copyscape etc

domainguru
10th December 2012, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a plan, just add an extra list element in as well:

0.1 - research search volumes to see if doing "1 to 3" is worth the cost.

Hi

1.Develop into a site

It will be my first time doing SEO on a idn so this will be another learning curve.

I can outsource the content to a few russian writers that will be seo freindly and pass copyscape etc

Avtal
11th December 2012, 03:52 AM
Sounds like a plan, just add an extra list element in as well:

0.1 - research search volumes to see if doing "1 to 3" is worth the cost.

Normally I'd agree.

But since this would be your first developed IDN, and since таити.com is a reasonably decent name, I'd suggest that you go ahead and develop it even if the financial analysis shows it to be not quite worth the cost.

Even if you just put together a simple website, you'll learn some interesting and useful things. For instance: how, using your favorite CMS, do you make a URL that looks like таити.com/гостиницы rather than таити.com/hotels? How do Google GAKT values translate into clicks for Russian domains? Which browsers are your visitors using, and what countries do the most profitable clicks come from?

So think of it as an investment in your education.

Avtal

domainguru
11th December 2012, 05:18 AM
Normally I'd agree.

But since this would be your first developed IDN, and since таити.com is a reasonably decent name, I'd suggest that you go ahead and develop it even if the financial analysis shows it to be not quite worth the cost.

Even if you just put together a simple website, you'll learn some interesting and useful things. For instance: how, using your favorite CMS, do you make a URL that looks like таити.com/гостиницы rather than таити.com/hotels? How do Google GAKT values translate into clicks for Russian domains? Which browsers are your visitors using, and what countries do the most profitable clicks come from?

So think of it as an investment in your education.

Avtal

I'd still do the analysis ..... what if it only gets 500 searches per month or less? (Not saying it does or it doesn't, not my name), but are you really going to invest all that time, money (Translators) etc. if the results could never justify themselves. All that would do would put you off devving in the future.

I'm all for "developing for education", but not "cash down the drain". Good development is a tough tough business, especially now Google is apparently much less keen on "lightly developed" domains. If you are going to throw yourself into a development, make sure it has at least a chance of getting some of the investment back.

But if you want to launch a business without a business plan or any research, its your dosh, do what you want with it :rolleyes:

Rubber Duck
11th December 2012, 06:54 AM
I am sure Russians do go to Tahiti, but don't they just tell their personal Pilot to book a slot on the Runway?

11th December 2012, 08:36 AM
if i remember correctly pompei in russian was available for reg fee a few months ago i think it had a total of 8k exact searches or so. if someone is interested in that type of russian names.

tahiti.de

Avtal
11th December 2012, 03:26 PM
OK, this is getting confusing. According to this brand-new thread: http://www.idnforums.com/forums/32865-%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B8-com-russian-tahiti.html,
таити.com is owned by RussianDomainer.

So are you sure you own this domain? Or did you pick up a mispelling?

Avtal

TrafficDomainer
11th December 2012, 03:33 PM
Perhaps RussianDomainer bought the domain from the OP for a quick flip?

Rubber Duck
11th December 2012, 03:34 PM
Time to require Punycode on Appraisal threads?

alpha
11th December 2012, 03:41 PM
Perhaps RussianDomainer bought the domain from the OP for a quick flip?

the whois matches RussianDomainer.

Avtal
11th December 2012, 04:21 PM
I (and I guess others) violated the first rule of newbie appraisal threads: make sure the newbie actually owns the domain before appraising it.

My apologies to RussianDomainer.

Avtal

TrafficDomainer
11th December 2012, 05:26 PM
the whois matches RussianDomainer.

Thanks Alpha. I don't have access to the paid version of domaintools to check domain history but based on the quote below (assuming newtoidns was telling the truth), it could be that domain was very recently bought up by RussianDomainer to resell. It would be good to get a clarification from both the parties to understand what is really going on here.

Cheers!

Hi

This is only my second IDN domain name

таити.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahiti

Any ideas on value at all?

Thanks

Still learning the idn side of things

RussianDomainer
11th December 2012, 05:36 PM
the domain name was mine, but I was late to renew it. When you are so late - Dynadot.com puts your expired domain on auction. And when someone wins it - he has to wait certain number of days until getting a message that domain is now added to your account. Apparently I renewed it before this cut-off date passed.

RussianDomainer
11th December 2012, 05:40 PM
I (and I guess others) violated the first rule of newbie appraisal threads: make sure the newbie actually owns the domain before appraising it.

My apologies to RussianDomainer.

Avtal

no problem, Avtal. I guess we all learned some important details on how Dynadot.com expiring name auction works.

newtoidns
11th December 2012, 06:32 PM
the domain name was mine, but I was late to renew it. When you are so late - Dynadot.com puts your expired domain on auction. And when someone wins it - he has to wait certain number of days until getting a message that domain is now added to your account. Apparently I renewed it before this cut-off date passed.

Hi

Looks like you renewed it now and dynadot have credited my account,

Learning curve for me is dont put domain names up for appraisel until dynadot place in my account 100%

Muhammad Mustafa
11th December 2012, 06:55 PM
Hi

Looks like you renewed it now and dynadot have credited my account,

Learning curve for me is dont put domain names up for appraisel until dynadot place in my account 100%

good luck next time bro :)
As I snap many domains through Dynadot on a regular base, I'd spot some points from my experience with them:

- Once you were the only/highest bidder, you'll have 48 hours to make the payment, if payment isn't received by that time you'll be warned and if repeated one more time you'll be banned from taking part in future expired auctions
* If you were the 2nd highest bidder and 48 hours passed without the 1st one paid for the name, you'll get a 24 hours chance to pay your bid and get it

- Once paid for domain, it'll be added to your account where you can modify NS, Whois ...etc, but you can NOT: push to another account or transfer away, it will be in an auction-lock for 30 days, scroll over the "lock" icon next to your domain and you'll see when it get auction-unlocked, mostly in a net 31 days, once auction-unlocked, its up to you to do whatever you want

- Any time in 31 days if the original registrant decided he'd renew the domain, he'll get it and your payment will be credited back to your Dynadot account (not to the payment venue you used)

- If you have an expired auction domain in your watchlist, the status "timedout" means that auction time ended and the original registrant didn't renewed it, while "closed" means the original registrant decided to renew it while in auction time, even if auction has bidders

- Unlike regular registration with Dynadot, you can NOT delete a domain you won in expired auctions for a credit

From my experience:
1) Once 10-12 days passed, most likely the original registrant will NOT renew it, most renewals hits my snapped domains within first week, almost 90% or so of renewed ones, to date, only one time the org. reg. renewed his domain I got in day 29 :mad:
2) When in auction-lock, NEVER develop, post appraisal thread or sale thread, original owner still can renew it, plus, most likely if you do so he'll for sure renew, its a small community after all and everyone can see whatever going on ;)

above info are all based on my personal experience only, so hope they are correct in all cases and would benefit some of you...

newtoidns
11th December 2012, 06:59 PM
good luck next time bro :)
As I snap many domains through Dynadot on a regular base, I'd spot some points from my experience with them:

- Once you were the only/highest bidder, you'll have 48 hours to make the payment, if payment isn't received by that time you'll be warned and if repeated one more time you'll be banned from taking part in future expired auctions
* If you were the 2nd highest bidder and 48 hours passed without the 1st one paid for the name, you'll get a 24 hours chance to pay your bid and get it

- Once paid for domain, it'll be added to your account where you can modify NS, Whois ...etc, but you can NOT: push to another account or transfer away, it will be in an auction-lock for 30 days, scroll over the "lock" icon next to your domain and you'll see when it get auction-unlocked, mostly in a net 31 days, once auction-unlocked, its up to you to do whatever you want

- Any time in 31 days if the original registrant decided he'd renew the domain, he'll get it and your payment will be credited back to your Dynadot account (not to the payment venue you used)

- If you have an expired auction domain in your watchlist, the status "timedout" means that auction time ended and the original registrant didn't renewed it, while "closed" means the original registrant decided to renew it while in auction time, even if auction has bidders

- Unlike regular registration with Dynadot, you can NOT delete a domain you won in expired auctions for a credit

From my experience:
1) Once 10-12 days passed, most likely the original registrant will NOT renew it, most renewals hits my snapped domains within first week, almost 90% or so of renewed ones, to date, only one time the org. reg. renewed his domain I got in day 29 :mad:
2) When in auction-lock, NEVER develop, post appraisal thread or sale thread, original owner still can renew it, plus, most likely if you do so he'll for sure renew, its a small community after all and everyone can see whatever going on ;)

above info are all based on my personal experience only, so hope they are correct in all cases and would benefit some of you...

Very well written, yes it has helped me out a newbie to this market.

domainguru
12th December 2012, 01:29 PM
Hi

1.Develop into a site

Now you have my really confused. RussianDomainer just put up a sales thread for this domain yesterday? You're not saying all this chat was for a domain you don't own are you? Please say no ....