PDA

View Full Version : Full-width vs half-width kana?

Edwin
5th January 2006, 10:39 PM
Which version of Japanese kana domains are you registering? Ones with half-width characters, or ones with full-width characters? And why?

gammascalper
5th January 2006, 10:55 PM
Which version of Japanese kana domains are you registering? Ones with half-width characters, or ones with full-width characters? And why?

Have you tried registering half-width?

Edwin
5th January 2006, 11:07 PM
Not successfully - they always show up as taken. Or are you saying that they're not allowed by the encoding system?

Rubber Duck
5th January 2006, 11:19 PM
Not successfully - they always show up as taken. Or are you saying that they're not allowed by the encoding system?

If you input some worthless combination of such characters and they still show up as taken it is far to assume that they are blocked.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Edwin
5th January 2006, 11:23 PM
Good point - they're definitely blocked, which is great news when I look at my "possibles" list :D

sarcle
5th January 2006, 11:29 PM
Good point - they're definitely blocked, which is great news when I look at my "possibles" list :D

So your finally getting a little more confident in idn? ;D

Rubber Duck
5th January 2006, 11:32 PM

So your finally getting a little more confident in idn? ;D

I bet he's the one with the 26,000 deep portfolio.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

sarcle
5th January 2006, 11:35 PM

I really am waiting for that one day when one of these "old-timers" comes out and announces they have been investing all along. One of the mod's at namepros finally admitted it. Now we will see DGC also. ::)

Rubber Duck
5th January 2006, 11:38 PM

I really am waiting for that one day when one of these "old-timers" comes out and announces they have been investing all along. One of the mod's at namepros finally admitted it. Now we will see DGC also. ::)

Well that might explain why the Mods at DNForum try to suppres all information!

gammascalper
5th January 2006, 11:53 PM

Amazingly, they got this one right by not allowing half-width kana registrations. Not sure where the registration is blocked, but it's blocked somewhere as the half-width punycode is valid.

gammascalper
5th January 2006, 11:56 PM

I've got some info too that's not meant for public boards -- we NEED that chat function now.

Rubber Duck
5th January 2006, 11:58 PM

Amazingly, they got this one right by not allowing half-width kana registrations. Not sure where the registration is blocked, but it's blocked somewhere as the half-width punycode is valid.

It will be blocked at the registry in accordance with ICANN guidelines. I think all Unicode will encode to Punycode, but certain code points are blocked. Russian Capitals is another example.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Olney
6th January 2006, 01:13 AM
Ok guys to tell you the truth
It says that it's blocked but it's not...
It's just the fact that you can't register these.
Domains with a space - Useless
Domains with half kana - Useless

That's like trying to register a domain name in cursive if it was available or adding a space to an English domain
The same principles still apply...

touchring
6th January 2006, 06:32 AM

So your finally getting a little more confident in idn?  ;D

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Any truth to that? So we can start calling you "idngod". ;D

Edwin
6th January 2006, 06:35 AM
Nope, no truth at all. Though I do now have around 150 Japanese IDNs (see my 2 posts in the Appraisals forum today)

touchring
6th January 2006, 06:40 AM
Nope, no truth at all. Though I do now have around 150 Japanese IDNs (see my 2 posts in the Appraisals forum today)

>:(  Where is my idn god??

Rubber Duck
6th January 2006, 06:56 AM
Hi Edwin,

That's very brave to come out of the Closet like that and admit being an IDNer on a public forum ;D

Don't let them know at DNForums, they can get very funny about things like tha 8)

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

blastfromthepast
21st July 2006, 04:03 PM
I've got some info too that's not meant for public boards -- we NEED that chat function now.

How true.