PDA

View Full Version : What's the timeline from here out?

Drewbert
25th December 2012, 12:34 PM
I find it fairly confusing - certainly difficult to find any information on ICANN's site to give any clues about dates.

The clearest information I've found about what happens and when appears at http://www.circleid.com/posts/20121218_the_results_of_the_icann_bingo_are_in/

Formal objections. The new gTLD program allows for objections to be made against applied-for strings. The period for this ends on March 13, 2013.

OK. Clear so far.

Contention sets. Where the same string has been applied-for several times by different applicants, these go into a "contention set". There are several ways for these to be sorted out, but the end result has to be that only one applicant per string remains.

IDN Contention sets:

Apps 51 and 60 for 信息
Apps 54 and 57 for 娱乐
Apps 79 and 1772 for 广东
Apps 45 and 98 for 微博
Apps 15 and 28 for 网址
Apps 17 and 31 for 网店
Apps 99 and 106 for 网站

So those applications may be held up after the objection period ends while the applicants either negotiate or go to auction.

But do contention sets also include variants? That might delay a few more IDN's as well?

Initial evaluation. ICANN will release the results of its initial evaluation of new gTLD applications after the close of the objection period. Applications for IDN strings will be given priority.

OK. Not sure WHY the results for initial evaluation are the FIRST thing to be done in "priority draw" order.

So in this announcement (or series of announcements?) some strings will fail initial evaluation, so they'll go into a different queue. Fingers crossed that all the Verisign/PIR/Afilias variant applications clear this hurdle immediately - they have the advantage of being existing registries so hopefully nothing but a paid objection would prevent them from doing so.

80 new gTLDs a week
ICANN will begin contract negotiations with applicants that are free of any contention, technical or objection issues (the others will have to wait until those issues are resolved). If those applicants are willing to sign the ICANN new gTLD contract as-is, they will immediately proceed to the next steps. Contract negotiations are allowed, but will of course take more time.

You guess is as good as mine as to which of the new IDN's will be happy with the standard contract. It is possible that Verisign/PIR/Affilias MIGHT be more likely to want changes, because they already know what it's all about?

All applicants with a contract agreement can then make an appointment to be "pre-delegation tested", where their readiness to operate a TLD will be examined. ICANN will do this at the rate of around 20 appointments a week, or 80 a month, and will use the prioritization draw order.

Right. It's pretty much a "given" that Verisign/PIR/Affilias will sail through this bit, as will the ccTLD registries that have IDN applications in (for non-ccTLD strings - CNNIC etc). Other may well fail, causing them to have to go away and fix things before doing another PDT, so this could allow some queue-jumping by the variant apps.

Once an applicant has passed, then ICANN will sign their new gTLD contract. This process will only begin after April 2013's Beijing ICANN meeting and once again, ICANN will process applicants at the same rate of around 80 to 85 gTLDs a month.

No information anywhere about how long it might take an applicant to pass this pre-delegation testing. Once Verisign/PIR/Affilias has passed their first PDT, do they have to go through it all again, or do they get a "credit", allowing them to go straight from contract negotiation (if any) to contract signing in the same meeting? If so, the variant delegations could queue-jump to delegation application quite significantly.

It also seems rather inefficient to have (say) the Verisign signing team at ICANN's office (having flown all the way from Zurich or Luxembourg?, cough hack) and then have to come back days later to sign other contracts that are actually ready to be signed, because they're not requiring any contract negotiation, and have already passed the PDT.

Discuss.

Rubber Duck
25th December 2012, 12:46 PM
It may not just be Verisign that wants to negotiate. It is likely that ICANN will have a few issues to resolve over the Variants. At least, I very much hope that they do!

squirrel
25th December 2012, 04:02 PM
A few things :

As RD mentioned, VRSN must not sign the standard contract, otherwise we'll be put in a position where we'll pretty much have to sue (? not sure if there would be any other alternative). The standard contract does not provide a Right Protection Mechanism (RPM) or any other system that implement aliasing.

I dont think that contention sets will include variants. It would seem that Icann has planned for this round to roll out IDNs without implementing TLD variants, at least that's what Edmon Chung seemed to be complaining about at Icann Toronto.

I read lately that Icann was late publishing contention sets, not sure if this has already caused or will cause delays.

Avtal
25th December 2012, 04:20 PM
As RD mentioned, VRSN must not sign the standard contract, otherwise we'll be put in a position where we'll pretty much have to sue (? not sure if there would be any other alternative). The standard contract does not provide a Right Protection Mechanism (RPM) or any other system that implement aliasing.

But does the standard contract prevent Verisign from implementing aliasing? Is the standard contract available yet?

My assumption is that the contract with Verisign won't mention aliasing, that Verisign will implement aliasing anyway (because it makes commercial sense for them), and that they'll charge whatever they want (probably about the same as the .com reg fee).

I've given up trying to figure out the timeline. Applicants seem to be getting frustrated as well. See: this post on TheDomains.com (http://www.thedomains.com/2012/12/22/new-gtld-applicant-group-blasts-icann-on-slippage-of-timelines-in-program/).

Avtal

Rubber Duck
25th December 2012, 04:29 PM
I guess at least, we will not be relying on you to negotiate on our behalf. :lol:

Avtal
25th December 2012, 04:42 PM
I guess at least, we will not be relying on you to negotiate on our behalf. :lol:

Fortunately, you're not. You're relying on ICANN. Feel better?

Avtal

squirrel
25th December 2012, 05:23 PM
But does the standard contract prevent Verisign from implementing aliasing? Is the standard contract available yet?

No
Yes

Avtal
25th December 2012, 05:58 PM
No
Yes

Thanks! So I'm missing something here. Why do you think we might have to sue if Verisign and ICANN sign the standard contract? Do you think Verisign will renege on aliasing if it isn't in the contract?

It would seem to be in Verisign's commercial interest to implement aliasing in some form, as long as the contract doesn't actively prevent it.

Avtal

P.S. Feels odd to be playing the role of optimist...

Rubber Duck
25th December 2012, 06:05 PM
Fortunately, you're not. You're relying on ICANN. Feel better?

Avtal

Well, as interminable as the process may seem at least they seem to be headed in vaguely the right direction! :lol:

squirrel
25th December 2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks! So I'm missing something here. Why do you think we might have to sue if Verisign and ICANN sign the standard contract? Do you think Verisign will renege on aliasing if it isn't in the contract?

It would seem to be in Verisign's commercial interest to implement aliasing in some form, as long as the contract doesn't actively prevent it.

Avtal

P.S. Feels odd to be playing the role of optimist...

Do you know what's happening right now with Nominet and .co.uk ?

The problem with the standard contract is that it does not force VRSN to implement aliasing or whatever they will call it.

No contractual obligation to alias (irrespective of grandfather rights) would probably be the worst case scenario. For one, it would be a confusion/DNS stability issue, and some might argue also a security issue. This I hope ICANN already understands, or at least the independent objector or GAC will raise this point before the signing of the contract. Second, there would be as much predictability in the namespace as there is in .co.uk right now. Nominet is a good example of the great things a registry with carte blanche can do.

alpha
25th December 2012, 08:56 PM
Do you know what's happening right now with Nominet and .co.uk ?

What's happening with Nominet is the worse case scenario, a proper royal shafting of the highest order.

sbe18
25th December 2012, 09:39 PM
Nominet is the worse case scenario, a proper royal shafting of the highest order.
--------------------------

have lawsuits started in the UK over this yet ?

are they following a roadmap that was used in HK ?
s/

Drewbert
26th December 2012, 02:25 AM
I've given up trying to figure out the timeline. Applicants seem to be getting frustrated as well. See: this post on TheDomains.com (http://www.thedomains.com/2012/12/22/new-gtld-applicant-group-blasts-icann-on-slippage-of-timelines-in-program/).

Perhaps someone with an a/c there could post the following in the comments?

How about the “pre delegation testing” stage?

Surely Verisign, once they’ve passed their first PDT for application # 16, would not have to do the same for their other 11 applications, or is it ‘taken as read’?

Likewise, if they’ve willing to sign the standard contract, and have pre-passed the PDT, it seems inefficient to send those people away from the ICANN office to have them return 11 more times to sign contracts they could have signed at the first meeting.

Avtal
26th December 2012, 02:40 AM
At this time I'm optimistic that Verisign will behave better than Nominet, even if ICANN doesn't place any special requirements on Verisign.

Anyway, a few points:

1) If ICANN does decide to ask Verisign to sign a non-standard contract (one that specifies aliasing), this will probably delay all of Verisign's IDN .com/.net applications by at least a few months.

2) It will be interesting to see what PIR (the .org registry) does, since they are in a similar position to Verisign regarding aliasing.

3) Of course, Latin IDN .coms are not affected by any of this. But if Verisign in a future round follows blastfromthepast's suggestion to create a .kom Latin gTLD, then that could change.

Avtal

Rubber Duck
26th December 2012, 06:38 AM
1) If ICANN does decide to ask Verisign to sign a non-standard contract (one that specifies aliasing), this will probably delay all of Verisign's IDN .com/.net applications by at least a few months.

If it really does require an extra couple of months to get things right, then after years of waiting, then that is price I would be prepared to pay.