PDA

View Full Version : Internet REIT Story in Forbes...

idnowner
27th May 2006, 08:46 PM
An indicator for the future of IDNs...

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/05/23/internet-reit-domain_cx_rr_0523cyber.html?partner=rss

BTW - idnreit.com (parked at sedo) is registered to someone in Singapore.

touchring
27th May 2006, 09:05 PM
Yes, that's the truth, everyone here should know how the industry is evolving and what will happen in the future, hence the poll:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/3286-how-much-did-you-earn-for-ppc-for-idns-last-month.html

Drewbert
27th May 2006, 09:24 PM
"A Chat With ...
Typo.com"

I bet the owner of typo.com is smiling right now.

domainstosell
27th May 2006, 10:19 PM
What types of domain names are hot right now?

BM: There are three categories of domains. One category is your generic mutalfunds.com, bands.com or shows.com. Those are consistent performers growing at or above Internet growth rates. Ten percent more people are coming on the Internet every year, and usage is increasing by 20% a year.

Another category is words that are faddish, or traffic that is faddish. HurricaneKatrina.com was timely and popping, but now those types are going through a massive decline.

MO: Another example of this is the word "ringtones." It is worth millions right now, but five years ago, it wasn't worth 50 bucks. If you see a trend or something that you see coming out that the next guy doesn't--spend ten bucks and buy up that name.

BM: The third category is names that are nonsense right now. We own Aelf.com Things like that will sometimes get some traffic, but the area of the market with the highest speculation and overheating are on names that are three or four words long.

MO: The success of a name is directly proportional to how much you're willing to spend. If you're going to put $10 million behind a name, I can give you almost any name and it will become known by a certain number of people. But if you've got a generic name, you're one step ahead. That's why Business.com sold for $7.5 million. You've got instant brand recognition. Every person that goes directly to the site is one less $2 click that the owner would have to pay to get the traffic.

Not one mention of IDNs... Arguably a good thing AND a bad thing. Good because the longer we fly "under the radar" the more opportunity we have to reg sold names, bad because IDNs could really use a shot in the arm, publicity-wise.

But, I guess let them keep regging aelf.com and gkds.com or whatever, if that is the "hot new domaining trend."

touchring
27th May 2006, 10:45 PM
Not one mention of IDNs... Arguably a good thing AND a bad thing. Good because the longer we fly "under the radar" the more opportunity we have to reg sold names, bad because IDNs could really use a shot in the arm, publicity-wise.

But, I guess let them keep regging aelf.com and gkds.com or whatever, if that is the "hot new domaining trend."

Yes, thankfully, they can start once i finish my registration. :p

Their ability to register 400,000 names say something about the mechanisms used to find names.

Rubber Duck
27th May 2006, 11:10 PM
Yes, thankfully, they can start once i finish my registration. :p

Their ability to register 400,000 names say something about the mechanisms used to find names.

Yes, they would need to hire 100 Rubber Ducks or 1 with the remaining 99% of their portfolio comprising utter crap!

thegenius1
27th May 2006, 11:26 PM
Its amazing that they think its " HOT " to buy ThisNameIsNoNSense.com ROTFLMAO:rolleyes:

vgemito
28th May 2006, 02:25 AM
What makes you think they aren't regging IDNs right now?

If they were, would they be talking about it?

Regards,
VGemito

blastfromthepast
28th May 2006, 09:09 AM

We have a very broad base of IDNers here. We know who registers what, because we have been doing research and registering hot words in all sorts of languages every day. Some people here have been at it for years.

There are only a handfull of domainers who are into IDNs in a big way that aren't members of this forum.

If these guys were in on the game, we would be seeing massive accross the board registrations in generics.

It hasn't happend. The people on this forum have got them, and unless someone sells out to REIT or another major operator, it is going to stay that way.

REIT claims to have 400,000 domains. Major players here have something like 1,000 - 5,000 domains each. And pretty much all of them are of a higher quality than "etickets.com" and even "typo.com".

touchring
28th May 2006, 09:56 AM

If they were, would they be talking about it?

Regards,
VGemito

They are not into it big time, if they were, we will start seeing their WHOIS records.