PDA

View Full Version : ICANN CEO's Admissions That ICANN Is Not Ready For New gTLDs Should Concern Everyone

Drewbert
29th January 2013, 10:44 PM
2nd verse, same as the first...

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130129_icann_ceos_admissions_icann_is_not_ready_for_new_gtlds_concern/

DktoInc
29th January 2013, 10:55 PM
ready or not here we come.

chrisofmel
30th January 2013, 01:30 AM
ready or not here we come.

yuk looks like he is setting the groundwork up for more news to follow. meaning more delays.

DktoInc
30th January 2013, 02:22 AM
http://domainincite.com/11710-chehade-honestly-if-it-was-up-to-me-i-would-delay-the-whole-release-of-new-gtlds-by-at-least-a-year

Honestly, if it was up to me, I would delay the whole release of new gTLDs by at least a year.

“…but I’m not going to.”

domainguru
30th January 2013, 02:36 PM
delays are inevitable ...

software projects fall behind schedule every time anyway. And when the chief software guy says it will take a year, that probably means it will take two years.

Not saying it will be delayed two years, but judging by that conversation, no way they are going to be ready for middle of this year.

AWS
30th January 2013, 04:35 PM
yuk looks like he is setting the groundwork up for more news to follow. meaning more delays.

Agree!

This bunch of amateurs are to stupid to keep just one single deadline...

Glasson
30th January 2013, 04:38 PM
The only thing that has been successful so far is collecting the 185'000$

Rubber Duck
30th January 2013, 04:44 PM
they will manually process the IDNs as they haven't a cat in bells chance of writing software for those.

everything else gets punted to the long grass.

GaC will provide necessary cover!

squirrel
30th January 2013, 05:54 PM
The only thing that has been successful so far is collecting the 185'000$

well said

domainguru
31st January 2013, 03:40 PM
you would think ICANN would do a bit of planning regarding implementation. its not like new gTLDs have suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

I think its just because none of the guys at the registries have yet worked out the best / right / cheapest way to do aliasing. That's why they need all the time. Its something they haven't done before in most cases. Its "unknown technology" hence the uncertainty about timelines to implement.

We've seen in ICANN & IETF discussions there are lots of different ways to implement aliasing. They don't wanna look fools and pick the wrong one.

Rubber Duck
31st January 2013, 04:22 PM
We've seen in ICANN & IETF discussions there are lots of different ways to implement aliasing. They don't wanna look fools and pick the wrong one.

Then they should listen to their gut and then do the exact opposite.:lol: