PDA

View Full Version : .de IDNs - A few Questions

alexd
29th May 2006, 07:06 AM
From having a read through the forum, I have the impression that Germans prefer the .de extension over the .com. Is this true ??

Secondly, where is the best ( and cheapest ) place to register .de IDNs ?? I have a set of phrases that I think are worth regging, but am not sure if I should reg them as .com ( which are cheaper from what I gather ), or as a .de ( which I assume is more expensive !! )

I have checked idotz.net and the IDNs for .de are $19.95 each. Much more than a .com when regging at domainsite.

Any suggestions and advice are most welcome.

Thanks

Alex

IDNCowboy
29th May 2006, 07:17 AM
From having a read through the forum, I have the impression that Germans prefer the .de extension over the .com. Is this true ??

Secondly, where is the best ( and cheapest ) place to register .de IDNs ?? I have a set of phrases that I think are worth regging, but am not sure if I should reg them as .com ( which are cheaper from what I gather ), or as a .de ( which I assume is more expensive !! )

I have checked idotz.net and the IDNs for .de are $19.95 each. Much more than a .com when regging at domainsite.

Any suggestions and advice are most welcome.

Thanks

Alex
.de is more popular in Germany. Those guys are serious domainers. The .de will land a larger sale over the .com.
I believe Godaddy's .de's are cheaper ... also use a coupon code.

touchring
29th May 2006, 07:26 AM
.de is more popular in Germany. Those guys are serious domainers. The .de will land a larger sale over the .com.

german.de will command a several hundred percent premium over german.com.

alexd
29th May 2006, 07:34 AM

Jeff, thanks for the reply.

The problem is that as far as I know, Godaddy don't do IDNs.

What I am looking for is the cheapest place to register IDN.de

Alex

touchring
29th May 2006, 07:58 AM
try dd24.net, i'm not sure if they are the cheapest though.

mulligan
29th May 2006, 08:14 AM
I think you have to be German/German resident/Company with offices in Germany/Have a German address or something to reg .de

burnsinternet
29th May 2006, 08:22 AM
I don't think you need a DE address. I use my USA address for .de and have no problems.

touchring
29th May 2006, 08:24 AM
Most registrars charge a few dollars extra so that you can use their office.

mulligan
29th May 2006, 08:39 AM
Is it possible for individuals or institutions not located in Germany to register a .de domain?

Yes. It is possible for individuals or institutions (that have legal capacity) not located in Germany to register .de domains. There is, however, a condition, namely that they must appoint an administrative contact who is resident in Germany and who has a postal address at which it is possible to serve documents (i.e. not a mere P.O. box). The administrative contact is then also the person formally authorized by the domain holder to receive service of official or court documents (Zustellungsbevollmächtigter) within the meaning of the German Code of Civil Procedure (Zivilprozessordnung) and the German Code of Criminal Procedure (Strafprozessordnung). The reason for this measure is to ensure that if any party has a legal claim to pursue, it is not made more difficult for them by having to serve official or court documents in another country, which is often a long, drawn-out process.
http://www.denic.de/en/faqs/domainanmelder/index.html#section_25

§ 3 Duties of the Domain Holder
(1) ) In submitting the application for registration of a domain, the Domain Holder shall give an assurance that the data pertaining to him/her contained therein is correct and that he/she is entitled to register and/or use the domain and, in particular, that the registration and intended use of the domain does not infringe anybody else’s rights nor break any law. If the Domain Holder is not domiciled in Germany, he/she shall be required to appoint an Administrative Contact domiciled in Germany. This Administrative Contact shall also be the Domain Holder’s authorized representative for receiving the service of official or court documents for the purposes of §§ 174 ff. of the German Code of Civil Procedure. http://www.denic.de/en/bedingungen.html

So I guess if your registrar is in Germany or has offices there then its OK, as long as it is clear to all concerned that its your domain.
Im sure they already have all this figured out to facilitate non resdents to buy .de's

alexd
29th May 2006, 01:23 PM
Mulligan,

Thanks for that post. I might have to think before I take the step and make some idn.de registrations.

Alex