PDA

View Full Version : Will James Seng/Zodiac's Chinese gTLD names require ICP licenses for DNS resolution?

puyang
18th March 2013, 11:11 AM
Just wondering whether James Seng/Zodiac's Chinese gTLD names require ICP licenses for DNS resolution or not?
And how about the pricing?

welkin
18th March 2013, 12:01 PM
Just wondering whether James Seng/Zodiac's Chinese gTLD names require ICP licenses for DNS resolution or not?

Zodiac already has one, which you can see at the bottom of their website.

However, generally speaking, whether a new Chinese gTLD would resolve within China without the license...I don't see why not, it would probably be blocked on a per-domain basis like the GFW currently operates. Unless the gTLD name itself is something the government don't like.

clipper
19th March 2013, 02:04 AM

They are not yet ready to divulge pricing, and until they are ok-ed by ICANN they shouldn't be divulging that info, anyway. Check out their website and make your own judgements.

puyang
19th March 2013, 02:26 AM
Since Verisign's .点看 and other applicants' Chinese gTLDs will not be subject to ICP licensing regulation, those require licensing might lose competitiveness sharply?

I believe non-Chinese companies penetrating China market need to have their Chinese Domain Name and the site settled, perhaps within 1 year after the gTLD launch.

jseng
13th July 2013, 12:34 AM
ICP license is needed if you want to operate a website hosted in China.

If you do not operate a website in China, then you do not need an ICP license.

puyang
13th July 2013, 12:47 AM

So, domain name forwarding will be free from licensing?

Drewbert
13th July 2013, 12:59 AM
If you have a server within China answering port 80 queries (even if to forward/redirect to a server elsewhere) technically that's a website inside China.

If the registry or a registrar within China is doing the forwarding/redirecting for you, I wonder if their ICP licence would cover it?

bwhhisc
13th July 2013, 01:18 AM

James....curious if you think that aliasing idn.com to idn.com(idn) will make a big jump in traffic in the short term in the Chinese market.

Also....seems to still be a huge market in China for nnn.com domains, and also pinyin.com names. Do you see native language idn's becoming more popular and in what timeframe?

Thanks for you insight.

jseng
13th July 2013, 01:36 AM
url forwarding is a complicated matter in China, because it becomes a "which ICP" should it use; the originating domain name, the forwarded domain name or the url forwarding service provider.

we are working with the authorities to sort this out as we can foresee url forwarding been a very important services that would be needed to get adoption for new gTLD, esp. Chinese IDNs. we are also been advise there are work around which we will adopt if that does not work out.

verisign plans for giving precedence to idn.com registrant is a good news for everyone, altho i dont think it implies a jump in traffic. traffic and interest is a function of marketing and awareness.

the fav among domaineers in China are pinyin right now since we mostly exhausted the numbers domaineers can find for reasonable price. 114.com is a unique case because 114 is a well-known phone number to call for information queries in china.

but i do see idn becoming more popular as more and more non-english speakers coming online. ultimately, it is about what people can remember. maybe "tmall.com" seem reasonable to most english speakers but most chinese people remember it as 天猫商城 and not tmall.com.

13th July 2013, 05:44 AM
the fav among domaineers in China are pinyin right now since we mostly exhausted the numbers domaineers can find for reasonable price. 114.com is a unique case because 114 is a well-known phone number to call for information queries in china.

Thanks for the commentary. Now why do think the chinese still prefer pinyin over IDNs?

Most brands in china seem to be in chinese script. If i were a company the first thing that i would do is to use my brand in the domain name. In practice this never seems to happen. At best there is a redirect to an ASCII URL.

Now that idns have been there for over 10 years why do companies still choose the pinyin route?

Is it lack of awareness? The lack of the concept of brandable URLs?

puyang
13th July 2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the commentary. Now why do think the chinese still prefer pinyin over IDNs?

Most brands in china seem to be in chinese script. If i were a company the first thing that i would do is to use my brand in the domain name.

Brandable IDN domain names will save huge advertising costs for Chinese firms!

Rubber Duck
13th July 2013, 06:46 AM
Might all be kind of irrelevant as Verisign has effectively set a date next week for its official launch.

Out the gate nearly 6 Months ahead of the field.

Rubber Duck
13th July 2013, 06:49 AM
If the Chinese love Latin Characters so much, then why do they always brand with Numbers?

I mean seriously, if Numbers were so hot then the Americans would have exhausted the dot Coms a decade ago.

Most brands in china seem to be in chinese script. If i were a company the first thing that i would do is to use my brand in the domain name. In practice this never seems to happen. At best there is a redirect to an ASCII URL.

Now that idns have been there for over 10 years why do companies still choose the pinyin route?

Is it lack of awareness? The lack of the concept of brandable URLs?

domainguru
13th July 2013, 11:25 AM
url forwarding is a complicated matter in China, because it becomes a "which ICP" should it use; the originating domain name, the forwarded domain name or the url forwarding service provider.

we are working with the authorities to sort this out as we can foresee url forwarding been a very important services that would be needed to get adoption for new gTLD, esp. Chinese IDNs. we are also been advise there are work around which we will adopt if that does not work out.

verisign plans for giving precedence to idn.com registrant is a good news for everyone, altho i dont think it implies a jump in traffic. traffic and interest is a function of marketing and awareness.

but i do see idn becoming more popular as more and more non-english speakers coming online. ultimately, it is about what people can remember. maybe "tmall.com" seem reasonable to most english speakers but most chinese people remember it as 天猫商城 and not tmall.com.

Great post. I bolded the "ultimately, it is is about what people can remember" because that single line explains in a nutshell what you need to know about valuable domains, including the demand for short numbers, .coms, and of course IDNs.

Domaining is an amazingly simple business because of this.