PDA

View Full Version : Verisign says ICANN is not ready, and Chehadé says "no delays"

Glasson
29th March 2013, 10:37 AM
Verisign files a report (http://domainincite.com/12465-chehade-says-no-delay-as-verisign-drops-a-security-bomb-on-icann) showing ICANN is not ready with new gTLD and that it may cause Internet instability.
Source: domainincite.com

Rubber Duck
29th March 2013, 12:06 PM
It seems to me that Verisign is trying to throw a stick in the spokes of the opposition.

Obviously, it will not be raising concerns about things which it has not addressed itself.

Plan is obviously to be first of the grid and then spill oil over the track behind.

domainguru
29th March 2013, 12:23 PM
I like the quote from a competitor at the bottom of the article:

-------------------------------
“It’s a bloody long report,” said ARI Registry Services CEO Adrian Kinderis. “Had they put the same amount of effort into working with ICANN, we’d be a lot better off on the particular issues.”

+1

VeriSign behaves more like a mafia family than a modern company. They are pathetic. Do nothing for several years then suddenly announce the new TLD program is full holes and should be delayed.

Fuck off VeriSign

Glasson
29th March 2013, 12:51 PM
My first reaction to this was thinking that Verisign plays an insurance game here:
- if new gTLDs fail technically, Verisign will say: we knew and warned you
- if new gTLDs run smoothly, Verisign wll say: thanks to our warning ICANN took the right action plan.

Rubber Duck
29th March 2013, 02:37 PM
Yes, but winding up ICANN and the GAC, not to the Department of Commerce may just before contract negotiation might be just what the Doctor ordered.

The last thing we need right now is a cosy little relationship.

Seems there is not too much to worry about.:lol:

I like the quote from a competitor at the bottom of the article:

“It’s a bloody long report,” said ARI Registry Services CEO Adrian Kinderis. “Had they put the same amount of effort into working with ICANN, we’d be a lot better off on the particular issues.”

+1

VeriSign behaves more like a mafia family than a modern company. They are pathetic. Do nothing for several years then suddenly announce the new TLD program is full holes and should be delayed.

Fuck off VeriSign

Avtal
29th March 2013, 02:43 PM
Three theories. Choose one or more.

1) Verisign is genuinely concerned about the security and stability of the net, and wants to slow down the new gTLD process in order to avoid instability. It's not quite clear, though, why they waited until the last minute to raise their concerns.

2) Verisign is trying to protect its .com cash cow from the new gTLDs, even at the expense of its own IDN .com/.net equivalents.

3) This is all because of Regtime. As a result of Regtime's objection to .ком, under the current timeline Regtime's .рус will enter the root before .ком, giving Regtime first-mover advantage. If Verisign can delay the date when all new gTLDs enter the root, this will allow time for WIPO to rule against Regtime and put .ком back in the running.

I obviously prefer the third theory, because it suggests that IDNs play a major role in Verisign's strategic thinking. But I wouldn't necessarily count on that.

Avtal

domainguru
29th March 2013, 03:53 PM
Three theories. Choose one or more.

1) Verisign is genuinely concerned about the security and stability of the net, and wants to slow down the new gTLD process in order to avoid instability. It's not quite clear, though, why they waited until the last minute to raise their concerns.

2) Verisign is trying to protect its .com cash cow from the new gTLDs, even at the expense of its own IDN .com/.net equivalents.

3) This is all because of Regtime. As a result of Regtime's objection to .ком, under the current timeline Regtime's .рус will enter the root before .ком, giving Regtime first-mover advantage. If Verisign can delay the date when all new gTLDs enter the root, this will allow time for WIPO to rule against Regtime and put .ком back in the running.

I obviously prefer the third theory, because it suggests that IDNs play a major role in Verisign's strategic thinking. But I wouldn't necessarily count on that.

Avtal

This is bugger all to do with RegTime and their alt-root domain imo. They didn't prepare that document in a few days. Its much more likely a strategic move as you outline in (2). And sadly, shows they are way more concerned with ASCII .com than IDNs. They are happy to sacrifice IDNs if it means the whole gTLD program is delayed yet yet yet again.

But hopefully, ICANN will just ignore VeriSign.

I would say I have lost all respect for VeriSign but that implies I had any to lose.

Rubber Duck
29th March 2013, 04:26 PM
This is bugger all to do with RegTime and their alt-root domain imo. They didn't prepare that document in a few days. Its much more likely a strategic move as you outline in (2). And sadly, shows they are way more concerned with ASCII .com than IDNs. They are happy to sacrifice IDNs if it means the whole gTLD program is delayed yet yet yet again.

But hopefully, ICANN will just ignore VeriSign.

I would say I have lost all respect for VeriSign but that implies I had any to lose.

Don't really see that any of it is really aimed against their own applications.

Seems to me that it is primarily aimed at reducing the flow of ASCII.TLDs.

Clearly strategic move. Probably aimed at disrupting major competitors. I think they are trying to shunt the competition into a siding.

Perhaps they are trying to increase the amount of back-server type work they pick up.

Drewbert
3rd April 2013, 06:25 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/02/gtld_flaws_verisign_icann/

...and ICANN itself has told The Register that the first gTLD domains won't come online until at least August.

chrisofmel
3rd April 2013, 06:44 AM
," ICANN's VP of security Jeff Moss told us. "Timelines will be adjusted depending on when registry and clearing houses are ready. It's going to be August, I think, maybe."

domainguru
3rd April 2013, 07:22 AM
I had to laugh when I read Paypal had moaned about the new TLD program being "insecure".

Paypal has done as much as any organization on the Net to ensure its not secure. For many years, they sent out emails to customers inviting clients to click on links, completely stupid, against all recommendations, and a piece of piss for phishers to impersonate.

F888ing idiots.

Avtal
3rd April 2013, 01:08 PM
Jeff Moss: "April is a launch date in the sense that it's a public launch, a media launch, an awareness-raising exercise – but we don't actually sign contracts on the 23rd."

The contract-signing date is the date we should be most interested in, because Verisign won't tell us their aliasing plans in detail until after contracts are signed. The rest is "just" implementation.

Avtal

Rubber Duck
3rd April 2013, 10:10 PM
Jeff Moss: "April is a launch date in the sense that it's a public launch, a media launch, an awareness-raising exercise – but we don't actually sign contracts on the 23rd."

The contract-signing date is the date we should be most interested in, because Verisign won't tell us their aliasing plans in detail until after contracts are signed. The rest is "just" implementation.

Avtal

You will know most of it when GAC have deliberated.

As they are meeting in Beijing today, they have probably already started.