PDA

View Full Version : ANA calls for new gTLDs delay, again

TrafficDomainer
4th April 2013, 03:51 PM
http://domainincite.com/12547-ana-calls-for-new-gtlds-delay-again :

ANA calls for new gTLDs delay, again

Kevin Murphy, April 3, 2013, 15:09:13 (UTC), Domain Policy
The Association of National Advertisers has seized upon Verisign’s recent report into the security risks of ICANN’s new gTLD timetable to call for delays to the program.

In a blog post yesterday, ANA vice president Dan Jaffe said ICANN’s dismissal of the surprising Verisign letter is “like the Captain of the Titanic before the crash saying that the dangers of icebergs had been discussed for years.”

The post highlights the lack of finalized Trademark Clearinghouse specs as “one of the greatest concerns”, saying “millions of customers are the ones who will face harm”.

That’s not strictly true, of course. New gTLD registries are contractually unable to launch until the TMCH is ready, so the risk of registrants being harmed by the lack of specs today is a non-starter.

The ANA also points to ongoing concerns about proposed TLDs such as .corp and .home, which run the risk of clashing with existing private TLDs used on internal corporate and ISP networks.

It’s on much firmer ground here. If a user tries to access a LAN resource on a .corp domain while roaming, what’s to stop them sending sensitive data to a third-party web site instead?

I’ve yet to see a compelling reason why this is not a problem, but it’s not yet known whether the many applications for .corp, .home and similar strings have passed their ICANN technical evaluations.

The ICANN application form asked applicants to disclose potential operational problems such as these, but some applicants that were very familiar with the problem decided not to do so.

But the ANA’s main concern is its belief that new gTLDs will increase cybersquatting and increase the cost of defensive registrations, of course.

“Adequate steps have not been taken to protect Internet users, and we are headed toward uncharted waters with major danger to consumers, brandholders, and the Internet itself,” Jaffe wrote.

“The only prudent action for ICANN now is to delay this arbitrary domain name roll-out until it has fixed these very serious problems.”

Rubber Duck
4th April 2013, 04:02 PM
Yawn!

Can't a guy get some sleep?

sbe18
5th April 2013, 06:36 AM
yawn ....I agree...
I need to prepare for North Korea nuking my buddies in Guam, Austin, and Tokyo to worry about this...

Rubber Duck
5th April 2013, 08:27 AM
yawn ....I agree...
I need to prepare for North Korea nuking my buddies in Guam, Austin, and Tokyo to worry about this...

Yeah, even that is bullshit.

The Korean device is still very low yield and probably weighs several tons. It seems unlikely that the thing would fly at all, let alone to Europe. An effective device also needs to be delivered to exactly the right place and airblasted remotely at exactly the right time.

You also have to make the assumption that Putin would give his blessing to this unstable contraption crossing Russian Airspace.

I don't know what the f*ck Cameron is on but the street value must be astronomical. :lol:

Rubber Duck
5th April 2013, 08:33 AM
yawn ....I agree...

You surely don't believe that even on target this thing would be allowed to go anywhere near Guam?

My guess is the Pentagon are just watching to see what these guys can do. If they wanted to they could take out the whole of North Korea in a few hours.