PDA

View Full Version : USA ignorance on Thatcher and Thatcherism

sbe18
9th April 2013, 06:04 AM
The poor reporting on US television on Thatcher has made me very ashamed of
the state of US culture and US political accuracy.

Let's get some facts straight.

She changed the top tax rate from 80 to 60 and eventually to 40.
She believed in Darwin and the scientific method.

She was very anti-gay.
She was profoundly pro- Apartheid.

She was called the Iron Lady by the Soviets first in derision.

She never called for the elimination of social medicine or the NHS.

---

Ignorance of the liberals in the US is even more amazing.

Her 11 years radically changed the Tories, but by any measure she forced the radical change of the Labor party even more.

Even Disraeli and Churchill are not credited with forcing the radical changes of their own party and their main opponents in the course of 3 to 5 elections as she did.

The US press is completely ignoring how many of her policies are to the left of our own Democratic party , let alone the loony right of the Republicans.

CNN/ FOX etc...roll out the usual bullbshitter talking heads ....simply disgraceful to not report the truth and the facts of how the US and UK conservative parties are not the same.

Is the UK better or not for her having led for 11 ?
My opinion is 70/30 to yes.
But her bullshit should be labeled as bullshit in straight order.

domainguru
9th April 2013, 06:26 AM
Yes you are right. But when someone dies, most people seem to suffer from selective amnesia, for a short while at least.

I vividly remember a song called "Tramp the Dirt Down" by Elvis Costello in the late 80's - it was about waiting for Thatcher to die. That's how she divided opinion, and many would say British society, "divided" is probably a very polite term for what actually happened.

No idea what the US line is, but I really don't want to know what FOX news says about anything. I had the misfortunate to get it as part of a cable package in Thailand and I was honestly absolutely shocked the propaganda it put out disguised as "news".

Rubber Duck
9th April 2013, 07:33 AM
Even in the same head you can be divided.

I love her and hate her in almost equal measure.

She did save the Nation but only to turn it into something that it should not of become and at the cost of blighting a generation, often unnecessarily. She eventually fell out (exhaled) all her closest supporters.

At this point in its history the US needs Thatcherite like figure with the main difference being that much of the cost cutting needs to be done on military spending. Reagan worked out that an arms race would bankrupt the Soviets. What he failed to see was that it would eventually due the same to the USA.

America also needs to learn that recycling of wealth is also an essential part of sustainable capitalism. Yes, America became rich but did American's generally benefit?

Yes you are right. But when someone dies, most people seem to suffer from selective amnesia, for a short while at least.

I vividly remember a song called "Tramp the Dirt Down" by Elvis Costello in the late 80's - it was about waiting for Thatcher to die. That's how she divided opinion, and many would say British society, "divided" is probably a very polite term for what actually happened.

No idea what the US line is, but I really don't want to know what FOX news says about anything. I had the misfortunate to get it as part of a cable package in Thailand and I was honestly absolutely shocked the propaganda it put out disguised as "news".

mulligan
9th April 2013, 08:29 AM
Good riddance to bad rubbish ...

Rubber Duck
9th April 2013, 09:06 AM
The most interesting thing about Thatcher is that for a populist politician she actually did not give a shit what people thought, and would probably careless now.

domainguru
9th April 2013, 11:50 AM
The most interesting thing about Thatcher is that for a populist politician she actually did not give a shit what people thought, and would probably careless now.

Yeah, well summed up. A fearless animal. One of a kind.

bumblebee man
9th April 2013, 10:02 PM
http://www.isthatcherdeadyet.co.uk/
:eek:

sbe18
9th April 2013, 11:50 PM
twitter had a Cher hashtag explosion with

#nowthatcherisdead....

read as : now that Cher is dead.

she had to put out a press release....no I am not dead etc.....

as Bugs Bunny said...what a bunch of maroons .....

sbe18
9th April 2013, 11:53 PM
I guess during the funeral....the pubs of Brixton and Wales will do a brisk business..