PDA

View Full Version : Would you expect more traffic?

TheFifty9Sound
11th April 2013, 10:39 PM
I've registered a Korean name in .com (I don't want to reveal what it is just yet, because there are other names with this keyword I might want to reg, if things work out). It's a slang term with no direct english translation. I work with a Korean who confirmed the translation for me.

The name has, what I thought anyway, to be really good search volume. 18,000 exacts for desktop 90,500 on mobile, and growing fast. I think last month it recorded over 300,000 searches on mobile devices. Naver trends and everything look great too.

However, I've had it parked for nearly a week now and have had only 2 hits from Korea. Does that seem normal? I know you can never really predict what kind of traffic you're going to get, but I thought for sure it'd be good for more views than that. Originally, I was thinking maybe the nameservers had not propogated across the internet yet, but surely they should have by now.

And I know it's hard to give me any real advice without knowing the name, but any guidance you can give me as to what I might be missing/should consider anyway would be appreciated.

Rockruler
11th April 2013, 11:06 PM
I've never had too much luck with Korean names... though I don't own any spectacular ones either. But I do have a few that have decent GAKT.

gammascalper
12th April 2013, 12:04 AM
That sounds like my experience with Korean .coms.

Find a Japanese, Russian, or Arabic (single word) name with those stats and you will get traffic.

Drewbert
12th April 2013, 01:22 AM
Korea is hog-tied to IE5 (IIRC) on PC's due to the govt's requirement to use it for banking/tax payments.

Or something like that. We've covered it here previously. IE5 doesn't play well with IDN's.

TheFifty9Sound
12th April 2013, 02:26 AM
Ah. I think you're right. I just confirmed this with my coworker. They're stuck on IE6. Mystery solved.

Jay
12th April 2013, 08:42 AM
Mystery solved.

I just checked the monthly traffic for two of my Korean terms that score 18K exact GAKT. The first gets monthly traffic of 200 visitors and the second gets 31 visitors. 90% of the traffic comes from Korea.

So you can see that the traffic varies.

The problem with Google metrics is that Google has a tiny share of the search market in Korea (Naver has most of the market) and so the GAKT metrics are not necessarily a good guide. Naver doesn't give exact search metrics unfortunately.

TheFifty9Sound
16th April 2013, 05:24 AM
Here's a little update. After nearly two weeks of parking and nothing, I've had 21 visits from South Korea in the last 12 hours.

domainguru
16th April 2013, 08:08 AM
Here's a little update. After nearly two weeks of parking and nothing, I've had 21 visits from South Korea in the last 12 hours.

Might have got indexed by a SE?

TheFifty9Sound
16th April 2013, 10:18 AM
Ah, so it has. Let's hope it stays that way for as long as possible.