PDA

View Full Version : 芸能.com - entertainment - 9k on Snapnames

Jay
4th May 2013, 07:57 PM
A good Snapnames auction just finished with 芸能.com (entertainment in Japanese) going for US$9001. It was a 2000 reg that dropped the other day.

squirrel
4th May 2013, 08:20 PM
:up:

lots of bidders ?

Jay
4th May 2013, 08:26 PM
lots of bidders ?

8 bidders. Three or four went hard near the end and pushed up the price very quickly.

There hasn't been many big auctions of late, so it's good to see some action again.

Rockruler
4th May 2013, 08:33 PM
Yeah, pretty crazy auction. Some fierce competition :)

idn
5th May 2013, 02:02 PM
8 bidders. Three or four went hard near the end and pushed up the price very quickly.

There hasn't been many big auctions of late, so it's good to see some action again.

Really only two went hard.

6th May 2013, 02:00 PM
i think one could invest 9k better than that. Not that entertainment is a bad term, but 9k in the current market is extremely high. from a ROI perspective i think there are better opportunities.

not sure why people went crazy on that term.

jose
6th May 2013, 03:03 PM

Because it was on Snapnames. It's the same with ascii names. For some psycological deep reason, people spend a lot more on drop auctions then they would do when buying directly from someone. Maybe the "the seller is ripping me" trauma?

Rockruler
6th May 2013, 03:07 PM
i think one could invest 9k better than that. Not that entertainment is a bad term, but 9k in the current market is extremely high. from a ROI perspective i think there are better opportunities.

Agreed. TBH I was extremely surprised it went for that. Based on my research that term is not worth that kind of bread. But maybe the winner knows something I don't?:-D

idn
6th May 2013, 03:12 PM
Agreed. TBH I was extremely surprised it went for that. Based on my research that term is not worth that kind of bread. But maybe the winner knows something I don't?:-D

Maybe they already have a buyer lined up? :) Maybe they know something we don't. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for the domain, but I say that about many many domain sales both ascii and idn.

6th May 2013, 03:37 PM
Agreed. TBH I was extremely surprised it went for that. Based on my research that term is not worth that kind of bread. But maybe the winner knows something I don't

a similiar term in german (Unterhaltung.de) is now for sale for 30k Euro. That is end-user pricing and an established market.

correction: the search volume is only a fraction of the japanese term

6th May 2013, 04:10 PM
It's the same with ascii names. For some psycological deep reason, people spend a lot more on drop auctions then they would do when buying directly from someone. Maybe the "the seller is ripping me" trauma?

maybe it is the bidder is beating me trauma?

Jay
6th May 2013, 05:25 PM

I think it's all about looking at future potential. A term like that has huge development potential for an entertainment website, which do big business in Japan. The owner just needs to spike the interest of a big Japanese media group and she'll be laughing.

This is someone who owns domains like 银行.com (bank), 法律 (law) and 笔记本电脑.com (laptop), so going ahead of the market to get these sorts of terms could prove to be well worth it in the long run. If I had the loose change I'd probably do the same.

idn
6th May 2013, 05:45 PM
I think it's all about looking at future potential. A term like that has huge development potential for an entertainment website, which do big business in Japan. The owner just needs to spike the interest of a big Japanese media group and she'll be laughing.

This is someone who owns domains like 银行.com (bank), 法律 (law) and 笔记本电脑.com (laptop), so going ahead of the market to get these sorts of terms could prove to be well worth it in the long run. If I had the loose change I'd probably do the same.

I think what 123 is trying to say is that for that amount of cash there are some tremendous deals out there. A few domains I've personally seen sold in the last few months for considerably less most would agree have greater reach, value and overall potential.

That said the domain is great, the winning bidder is a sophisticated, well informed investor and therefore it is careless being overly critical of the investment.

chineseOWL
6th May 2013, 06:00 PM
Like this one but a little to much for me idn's regged in early 2000's should go for more.

mulligan
6th May 2013, 07:20 PM
... idn's regged in early 2000's should go for more.
Can you explain why please?

6th May 2013, 07:52 PM
I think what 123 is trying to say is that for that amount of cash there are some tremendous deals out there. A few domains I've personally seen sold in the last few months for considerably less most would agree have greater reach, value and overall potential.

That said the domain is great, the winning bidder is a sophisticated, well informed investor and therefore it is careless being overly critical of the investment.

What i meant is that in the end domaining is about making money, so usually you have limited amounts of capital and want to get the highest ROI that is possible.

I think that you could still invest that amount of $$$ and get more value for your money. If i had 10k to spend i wouldn't blow it on a single name like this i think. But i have limited amounts of capital.

I don't mean to critisize the buyer, maybe it will turn out to be an excellent investment. I just think that i would never spend that much on such a name.

Think about what 9k could get you here on the forum.

The buyer seems to be well funded and very aggressive, if you have a lot of capital to spend this may make more sense as you want to allocate as much money as possible.

or maybe there is an other reason why this one is so valuable.

the psychology of drop auctions is interesting though. I remember at least two cases in the past 2 years where a decent name sold for xxxx on a drop. One year later the name drops and gets sold for xxxx again. i think people enjoy the thrill of drop auctions and buy on high expectations and when they own the name and nothing happens they lose interest and move on to the next drop.

idn
6th May 2013, 08:49 PM

9K worth of junk.

Jay
6th May 2013, 09:06 PM
9K worth of junk.

True.

Rockruler
6th May 2013, 09:23 PM

Well... I would be really interested to see what $9k could get here. It would be great to see a super premium name up for auction here, as it's been a while.

Jay
6th May 2013, 10:15 PM
If i had 10k to spend i wouldn't blow it on a single name like this i think. But i have limited amounts of capital.

If I only had 10k to spend I wouldn't put it on just one name either - too much risk. If I had 100k to play with, I might. It depends on your budget like you say, and also on your strategy.

As an example, there were a couple of others that dropped from the same owner on the same day, also regged in 2000. I managed to pick up one of these (TV guide) and it didn't cost me $9k! It won't fetch $xx,xxx on the market in the coming years, but it will pay itself off before too long in parking revenue.

I'd personally prefer to own 100 of these than just one like the 9k one (if that was my entire budget). But there are some here who wouldn't agree ("what happens when auto-complete goes", etc etc?). If I had a bigger budget I would definitely go after the more premium names.

Rockruler
7th May 2013, 12:00 AM
Like this one but a little to much for me idn's regged in early 2000's should go for more.

this one was regged in 2000/2001 originally before the drop.

Wot
7th May 2013, 02:31 AM
Waaaaay overpriced but simply my opinion but Snapnames is just weird, a strange must beat the other syndrome perhaps.

The market in general is tanking and there are quality names in ASCII and IDN dropping. And of the IDN very few,any? are being picked up by natives, just the same old few buyers.

Drewbert
7th May 2013, 03:34 AM
So who let it drop?

tee1
7th May 2013, 04:23 AM
So who let it drop?
My guess is TDC, I can't get my zone files to open right now. anyone have access to domaintools?

9K worth of junk.
Is it time for me to bring out the ws portfolio? hehe

clipper
7th May 2013, 08:17 AM
9K worth of junk.

Having bought from this forum and you, personally, I wholeheartedly agree.

Junk.

Nothing but junk here. ;-)

Move along big money buyers. Nothing to see here.

idn
7th May 2013, 12:50 PM
Having bought from this forum and you, personally, I wholeheartedly agree.

Junk.

Move along big money buyers. Nothing to see here.

Well, I wholeheartedly hope you are enjoying my junk.:)

Not putting down the forum, but it would take me years to spend 9K here. For the most part it is the place where people take hand regs they don't want anymore or recent drops that were not picked up by snapnames, dynadot backorders, etc. What always attracts the most attention is a no reserve auction on a quality domain, but most people are really cautious of listing domains this way as the market considerably fluctuates from week to week. Even though we've been doing this for years the market still feels so new.

idn
7th May 2013, 12:56 PM
My guess is TDC, I can't get my zone files to open right now. anyone have access to domaintools?

Is it time for me to bring out the ws portfolio? hehe

I don't think it was TDC. If I recall a Japanese registrant. At least the domains were located at a Japanese registrar.

I love quality .ws's so much. I look forward to the listing.

bumblebee man
7th May 2013, 01:26 PM

Well, junk sounds harsh but the point is: Almost everything offered here has got some kind of blemish (usually more than one) : .net / not a great keyword / not prime / not a major language.

That doesn't mean it's junk. Whether you call it great, average or junk depends on your portfolio and your budget. For me most of the stuff here is average. And if I had a portfolio like IDN does I'd probably call it junk too.

You rarely see a great commercial prime keyword dotcom in a major language. And when you do you won't get it for less than 4 (sometimes even 5) figures. Simple as that.

idn
7th May 2013, 01:38 PM
And if I had a portfolio like IDN does I'd probably call it junk too.

I think I harshly used the word junk as since I am an active buyer and seller many of the I idns I see for sale I've already passed on them during a recent drop or even on the forum over the years. Fresh, untested, even good stuff, rarely shows up here. Thanks for the complement though!

bumblebee man
7th May 2013, 02:35 PM
I think I harshly used the word junk as since I am an active buyer and seller many of the I idns I see for sale I've already passed on them during a recent drop or even on the forum over the years.

I know what you mean. I might have lower standards than you but whatever hits the ground and becomes available for handreg is what I didn't consider worthy of 15 bucks let alone 69.

Jay
7th May 2013, 02:43 PM
No, junk is the right term. Some good names *occasionally* get put up for sale, but not often at a fair price.

I don't think it was TDC. If I recall a Japanese registrant. At least the domains were located at a Japanese registrar.

Correct, it wasn't TDC and I think it was a Japanese registrant, but I can't remember their name. They weren't an active owner of IDNs anyway, which might explain why it dropped.

idn
7th May 2013, 02:50 PM
I know what you mean. I might have lower standards than you but whatever hits the ground and becomes available for handreg is what I didn't consider worthy of 15 bucks let alone 69.

Saying that I was surprised to see you go rather strong after that construction dot com in Portuguese. I thought I would have that easily at 69 lol.

bumblebee man
7th May 2013, 02:59 PM
Saying that I was surprised to see you go rather strong after that construction dot com in Portuguese. I thought I would have that easily at 69 lol.

That was one of the rare occasions when I didn't forget to bid at the end of the auction ( :yes: ) and one of the many occasions* where you would still outbid me in the end ( :no: ). Actually I think this one is top 20 in Portuguese.

*More than half of my bidding history at snap shows the same auction winner.

idn
7th May 2013, 03:09 PM
That was one of the rare occasions when I didn't forget to bid at the end of the auction ( :yes: ) and one of the many occasions* where you would still outbid me in the end ( :no: ). Actually I think this one is top 20 in Portuguese.

*More than half of my bidding history at snap shows the same auction winner.

A solid $2.09 so far and 61 uniques. The stats looked promising, but...

I bet I could guess that auction winner and it is not me.

bumblebee man
7th May 2013, 07:38 PM
I bet I could guess that auction winner and it is not me.

You lost that bet. As a stake I would suggest you change your status to "greedy bastard". :-D

jose
7th May 2013, 09:28 PM
construção.com?

idn
7th May 2013, 09:39 PM
construção.com?

Yes

clipper
9th May 2013, 05:16 AM
Well, I wholeheartedly hope you are enjoying my junk.:)

I do love your junk. :-|