PDA

View Full Version : Good Read for City name owners

Olney
30th May 2006, 11:55 AM
I found this article on the Associate Cities site about IDN Domains.

http://www.associatedcities.com/news.php?newsID=75

They give a real positive outlook on IDN Domains...

By looking through it I'm 100% they got a lot of info from here. Glad to help the fellas out.

Too bad their Japanese translation of New York City...
ニューヨーク市.com is not as common as the one I already owned
ニューヨークシティー.com

People should have believed us from the beginning Japanese people LOVE New York...
I got brooklyn, manhattan, queens, & Staten Island too.

It is important to note that while the foreign-language domains may be direct translations of the English, they are entirely separate URLs. They do not necessarily need to point to the same Web site and the same trademark law that currently protects geodomain owners will protect competitors that develop IDN domains. This is a critical point for any geodomain owner who owns an English-language equivalent of a domain that has a different foreign script representation or for any geodomain owner who wants to protect their online identity in foreign countries.

Another bellwether of the rise of IDN prominence was an IDN domain sale last week that clocked in at No. 14 for top weekly sales as listed by DNJournal. 東京.net ("Tokyo" in Japanese characters) was sold for $10,000. This week saw four-figure sales of 福島県.com ("Fukushima" in Japanese) and 岡山県.com ("Okayama" in Japanese).

Actually did one of you guys help out on this?

blastfromthepast
30th May 2006, 12:04 PM
I found this article on the Associate Cities site about IDN Domains.

Actually did one of you guys help out on this?

The AssociatedCities people visited my site soon after I started linking to them from http://geodomain.name/ I'm pretty sure they took notice.

thegenius1
30th May 2006, 12:14 PM
The global Internet population may well look back at 2006 as the year the English language began losing online dominance. Indeed, already eight of the 20 top sites on Alexa are native-language Chinese sites.

The global Internet population may well look back at 2006 And ask themselves WTF was i thinking ( then you hear gun fire ) Increase of suicide prediction " Suicide in The Domain Community expected to increase in the coming year " lol is that really funny

blastfromthepast
30th May 2006, 12:17 PM
The global Internet population may well look back at 2006 And ask themselves WTF was i thinking

AssociatedCities members may look back at 2006 and ask themselves the same thing.

Olney
30th May 2006, 12:23 PM
Actually they already have very good niches. Plus the cities are for people who speak the language.
I'm looking over the places I own for my market.
I own IDNs for places I know Japanese love. Waikiki, Honolulu, New York City, Manhattan, Boston....

Basically the people who can take advantage are the ones who own the States or large cities...

I still own Kyoto Prefecture but Alph owns like what 14 prefectures.

zfreud
31st May 2006, 02:11 PM
AssociatedCities members may look back at 2006 and ask themselves the same thing.

Maybe not. if you look at the IDN's mentioned in the article, they all point to an Associated Cities member site...

ScottFish
31st May 2006, 02:28 PM
Good find.

I'll be at the GEO domains conference (http://www.associatedcities.com/conferences.php?tag=2006geodomainexpo) this weekend by the way. Anyone else here going?

Olney
31st May 2006, 02:41 PM
Hey tell them to call me in Tokyo for Los Angeles, Waikiki, New York City, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Honolulu, & Atlanta, Canada, & England in Japanese... I guess I could just make my own Japanese city connection...
Holla...

zfreud
31st May 2006, 03:27 PM
Hey Olney, what manhattan do you own?

マンハッタン.com ?

huronargentino
31st May 2006, 04:13 PM
well, hope that chinese community in florida call for 佛罗里达.com

blastfromthepast
31st May 2006, 05:03 PM
Good find.

I'll be at the GEO domains conference (http://www.associatedcities.com/conferences.php?tag=2006geodomainexpo) this weekend by the way. Anyone else here going?

I'll be going in the future, but not this year, as I own a whole bunch of Countries + Capitals in their native languages.

blastfromthepast
31st May 2006, 05:03 PM
Good find.

Not yet.

Drewbert
31st May 2006, 05:18 PM
Where are they having the conference?

ScottFish
31st May 2006, 05:23 PM
Its in Chicago from the 2nd-3rd.

Drewbert
31st May 2006, 06:07 PM
Ah. USA.

Against my "no more visits until regime change takes place" policy.

ScottFish
31st May 2006, 06:17 PM
You're not the only one part of that growing club...

Drewbert
31st May 2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah. Last Christmas my family and i flew an extra 8 hours each way, to avoid being confronted by the immigration arseholes while doing a simple transit through LAX, and having our fingerprints and retina scans taken in the name of "keeping Merka safe".

Ah well. They've launched us into the Chinese Century well and truly.

I have a buddy going to it, so he'll be monitoring the IDN situation there for me.

touchring
31st May 2006, 06:58 PM
Yeah. Last Christmas my family and i flew an extra 8 hours each way, to avoid being confronted by the immigration arseholes while doing a simple transit through LAX, and having our fingerprints and retina scans taken in the name of "keeping Merka safe".

Ah well. They've launched us into the Chinese Century well and truly.

I have a buddy going to it, so he'll be monitoring the IDN situation there for me.

Do they take all 5 fingers like in the police station?

blastfromthepast
31st May 2006, 07:15 PM
This is why we need an Asian Cities conference set up.

thegenius1
31st May 2006, 07:20 PM
I just seen on the News last week that Japan just started this new process aswell , where they Take youre Fingerprints and Photograph you as you enter the country , A " Effort to Stop any Terror Attacks "

Rubber Duck
31st May 2006, 07:50 PM
Good find.

Na, if they need me they have only got to Whois a few. Its no big big secret that most of Asias Real Estate is in the hands of a handful.

alpha
31st May 2006, 07:56 PM
Na, if they need me they have only got to Whois a few. Its no big big secret that most of Asias Real Estate is in the hands of a handful.

rule 1. (or 101 if you're american. hey what happened to the first 100 american rules)

.. anyway let the buyer find you.

Drewbert
31st May 2006, 08:33 PM
Register it, and they will come.

(With apologies to Bud Bundy).

I just seen on the News last week that Japan just started this new process aswell , where they Take youre Fingerprints and Photograph you as you enter the country , A " Effort to Stop any Terror Attacks "

Once they produce proof that Osama is faxing all his recruits fingerprints and retina scans to the USA and Japan in advance, I'll line up. Until then, it's just fake feel-good security and unwarranted data collection.

If you want to stop terror attacks you need to find out who approved http://www.usembassy.state.gov/riyadh/wwwhvzxp.html and bitchslap them.

Apparently that page has been removed. Text extract:

Dated 6-25-01 "The US Embassy in Riyadh is proud to announce the implementation of its new US VISA EXPRESS service for expediting nonimmigrant visa applications throughout Saudi Arabia. Now all Saudis and non-Saudi applicants may obtain visas at their own convenience by submitting their applications through any of ten designated travel/courier companies operating throughout the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia...This service is designed to help these qualified applicants obtain US visas quickly and easily. Applicants will no longer have to take time off from work, no longer have to wait in long lines under the hot sun and in crowded waiting rooms, and no longer be limited by any time constraints. Effective immediately, ALL APPLICANTS will be expected to use the US VISA EXPRESS service...

blastfromthepast
31st May 2006, 10:42 PM
rule 1. (or 101 if you're american. hey what happened to the first 100 american rules)

.. anyway let the buyer find you.

101 refers to the numbering of courses in American universities.

English 101, in most schools, refers to the first level course in English, for example.

Hence, the expression, 101.

Drewbert
31st May 2006, 11:25 PM
>Hence, the expression, 101.

And hence the number of *101.com domains.

I only have 7 of them. Need more.

Wot
31st May 2006, 11:38 PM
This is why we need an Asian Cities conference set up.

Chiang Mai seems perfect to me. :)

bwhhisc
31st May 2006, 11:48 PM
101 refers to the numbering of courses in American universities. English 101, in most schools, refers to the first level course in English, for example. Hence, the expression, 101.

Americans love 101 like "825,000,000" ways on Google. Not sure who started this crazy sh*t!

Don't forget 101 Dalmations, even the first number in your check book when issued is usually 101. I think the Sears Tower or one of our tall buildings has a 101 floor restaurant!

Now were not big on the number 13, in fact you don't find a hotel with a 13th floor...it almost always just skips from 12 to 14.

Drewbert
1st June 2006, 12:54 AM
> in fact you don't find a hotel with a 13th floor...it almost always just skips from 12 to 14

And next time you get to the check-in counter, ask for a window seat in row 13.

Olney
1st June 2006, 12:55 AM
Hey Olney, what manhattan do you own?

マンハッタン.com ?

Better I own マンハッタン.jp, also just got 台湾.jp Taiwan.jp